05/04/10
27 comments Tutorial: Vintage Book Wedding Ring Holder by   |   27 comments

It’s hard to believe that our wedding was almost a year ago. We had so many diy projects going on at that time, it was just crazy. One of the things that I made was a wedding ring holder from a vintage book for our ceremony.

We wanted something different that would tie in the ceremony site with the reception (the reception was at the Downtown Library rooftop about a mile from the ceremony), and I couldn’t find anything that would work. So, I made this. It’s very easy, and will take all of ten minutes to complete. Perfect for the busy bride.

Materials: old book, ruler, pencil, xacto knife, ribbon

Instructions: (click images for larger view of step by step)

1. Choose a book that has special meaning to you or your relationship. Or perhaps is the color(s) of your wedding.

2. Turn to almost halfway through your book (a little less than half), and draw a small two inch box center right (toward the outside of the book).

3. Using a straightedge and an xacto knife, follow the guide of your box and begin slicing through along the lines. You will want to press down hard and go over each line over and over, so that you go through as many layers as possible. I would recommend cutting over each line at least six times.

4. Once that is done, you can pop out the paper, revealing your hollowed out box. You may have to repeat step 3 several times to get the desired deepness for your “box”. Remember it only has to be as deep as the rings that will be going inside of it.

5. Now slip a ribbon through the cut box (making sure to go through all of the pages that are cut).

6. Slip the rings onto the ribbon and rest them inside your hollowed box. Close book and tie ribbon with a bow.

Note: The last three photos in this post were taken by Jeanne Ciasullo at our wedding last year. All other photos were taken by me.

For more ideas for quick and easy projects, click here to visit the tutorials page filled with more than 30 diy’s.

27 comments to Tutorial: Vintage Book Wedding Ring Holder Click here to reply

that is sooooo lovely

steph commented on May 4th, 2010 at 8:39 pm

Thanks Steph!

papernstitch commented on May 4th, 2010 at 10:28 pm

i love this idea… very sweet!

thanks for sharing!

sutton commented on May 5th, 2010 at 1:59 am

That’s a really quaint idea! :)

Ruth commented on May 5th, 2010 at 3:13 am

What a lovely idea! Thanks for sharing!

cindy commented on May 5th, 2010 at 10:47 am

wow – that is SUCH a neat idea! A great way to incorporate a favorite book into a wedding…

sarah :: this is jackson riley commented on May 5th, 2010 at 11:40 am

Definately different!

Jas commented on May 5th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Thank you — haven’t found any ring pillows I like and this is just the unique sort of thing that will be great at my wedding!

Darika commented on May 6th, 2010 at 9:20 am

[...] of paper n stitch used a vintage book to hold the rings at her wedding, and has posted a tutorial for creating a similar book. I like her suggestion of choosing a book that’s meaningful to [...]

The Art of Darkness » Blog Archive » Book Ring Holder commented on May 18th, 2010 at 7:29 am

Yikes! Who’d cut a hole in a book??? Blasphemy! >.<

Sarah commented on July 2nd, 2010 at 6:13 am

I know, I know Sarah. Several people have mentioned that on the other sites this tutorial has been posted on. Some people have a problem with it. I don’t. It was an old book that I purchased second-hand from a book swap. I am sure it had many years of use before I cut a whole in it, if that makes you feel any better.

papernstitch commented on July 2nd, 2010 at 10:35 am

That looks really nice Brittni :)
Selina recently posted..A Pink Wedding

Selina commented on March 15th, 2011 at 3:17 am

Wow…my daughter is currently dating a boy that she met through a book. Long story! But it turned out that it is a book that was very special to my now deceased father. Do you think I could ask them to get married so that I can use this idea for the rings? Of course, I am kidding. Love the idea though!

Isabel commented on May 31st, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Cute and vintage,I found lots of interesting information here. indeed! The wedding is such a dream!

lorenzo commented on June 17th, 2011 at 5:10 am

This is an awesome idea for all men who wanted to propose to their girl…
Helen Chris recently posted..Untraced / Uninsured Driver Compensation Claims

Helen Chris commented on August 14th, 2011 at 9:32 pm

I have a knack of doing these itsy bitsy cute things. I want to try this one. My sisters anniversary is fast approaching, I would recommend this to her.
ceding75 recently posted..angry birds game

ceding75 commented on August 15th, 2011 at 5:32 am

love this idea.. it can also be a good gift for my husband, just have to think what i want to put inside..
leanne recently posted..angry birds

leanne commented on August 16th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

wow this is cool! i would love to apply this with my current art projects.. i know that this is something new and that my teacher will really like it!
Mico recently posted..- FIRST DATE ADVICE

Mico commented on August 23rd, 2011 at 4:06 am

what a brilliant idea! too sweet! ^_^
erikasantamaria recently posted..angry birds download

erikasantamaria commented on August 23rd, 2011 at 5:42 am

hmmm…i’ll sure have a hard time finding an old book that I would have the heart to cut out part of the pages! But this is really sweet and vintage!
kaileikasantorini recently posted..- Dating Questions

kaileikasantorini commented on August 23rd, 2011 at 5:49 am

aaaahhh….wonderful idea! so classic and romantic! <3
ediliedathomson recently posted..101 Things My Husband Hates About Me

ediliedathomson commented on August 23rd, 2011 at 5:51 am

This really gave a brilliant idea on how to ask my gf to be my wife.
Harold recently posted..angry birds

Harold commented on September 3rd, 2011 at 2:17 am

such a nice ideas, i enjoy so much when i am reading.
Maria recently posted..best dating sites

Maria commented on September 14th, 2011 at 2:10 pm

i love it! it’s a very unique idea! :) gotta look for a book now!
abbey1990 recently posted..Zebra Print Bedding

abbey1990 commented on October 6th, 2011 at 5:10 am

I enjoy your site – I would like to talk with you about buying ad space here granted you do that. Hit me up at the email I provided and we can talk about, thanks mate.
Kundu Babu recently posted..online birthday cards

Kundu Babu commented on October 23rd, 2011 at 11:09 am

I really loved this post. You write about this topic very well. I really like your blog and I
will definitely bookmark it! Keep up the super posts!
Samantha recently posted..printable birthday card

Samantha commented on October 29th, 2011 at 6:08 am

This is such a lovely idea! Thank you for sharing it! I am a little annoyed with the “blasphemy” comments. If someone honestly feels they have a problem with this, they have some issues. Its a very cute idea and there are so many pieces of literature out there that sit on shelves and are never touched again or tossed out, I think this is the total opposite of blasphemy. You are taking a book and making it something special. Kudos, I love it!

Dishy commented on August 2nd, 2013 at 1:37 am