10/06/10
18 comments Make These: Little Library Card Notebooks by   |   18 comments

Today, I have a super cute guest post/ tutorial to share from Caitlin of the blog Packagery. Caitlin also runs an adorable packaging supply shop by the same name; and she created this fun diy with just a handful of materials. Its a mini library card notepad tutorial. These notebooks are perfect for jotting down short little notes or lists. And is a great way to recycle some of those paper scraps you may have lying around. So, let’s get to it. Here’s Caitlin’s project…

items needed

Materials: 1. a stapler (make sure it has staples) 2. scrap paper (graph paper, handwriting paper, etc.) 3. cardstock (library cards, index cards, old postcards, etc.) 4. paper trimmer (or scissors, x-acto knife, etc.) 5. bone folder (or a spoon) optional extras: 6. embellishments such as stamps, stickers, labels 7. corner rounder

step 1 image

Step by Step Instructions: 1. Trim your paper the same size as your card. I used a 3″ x 5″ card, with 6 sheets of scrap paper cut down to 3″ x 5″. This will give you 12 sheets/24 pages per notebook. You can also tear your paper down to size, for a different look. To do this, lay a ruler on top of your sheets and tear along the edge of the ruler.

step 2 image

2. Fold paper in half and crease with a bone folder. Do the same to your card. Place the folded paper inside the folded card, and crease again.

step 3 image

3. Make sure everything is lined up and folded nicely. Then carefully unfold your notebook and staple once or twice along the outside folded edge.

step 4 image

4. Done! You can round the corners of your notebook for a neater look, or add some cute stamped images.

*If you’re looking for library cards, you can find them for sale in my shop here.

Tips: To make your notebooks flatter, stick them under a pile of heavy books for a day or two. Where the heck do you get a corner rounder? I got mine here from amazon. It’s a Zutter Round-It-All and it’s a pretty neat tool. You can’t trim a ton of paper at once like you can with a (very expensive) commercial rounder, but it handles these notebooks just fine.

—-

Thanks so much Caitlin for sharing this tutorial with us! For more inspiration, visit the Packagery blog and Caitlin’s packaging supply shop.

And for more quick and easy project ideas, click here to visit the tutorials page.

18 comments to Make These: Little Library Card Notebooks Click here to reply

Hey! I have a few of those library cards stuffed in a drawer somewhere. Maybe I can make a few of these tonight while I am watching Modern Family. Thanks for sharing this project with us.

Dara of Sentina Jewels commented on October 6th, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Oh awesome Dara. By the way, I love Modern Family!

papernstitch commented on October 6th, 2010 at 3:23 pm

Also wanted to say, without editing the actual post (I’m lazy), Alexandra Keller mentioned to me that this would be a good project for kids. And I 100% agree. No dangerous tools and the project itself is very easy. Perfect for kiddos! Just thought I’d throw that out there.

papernstitch commented on October 6th, 2010 at 5:50 pm

What a cute idea! I know I have a pack of index cards lying around somewhere, so I’ll have to give this a try!
Kellie recently posted..Cloudy Days and Chocolate Cookies

Kellie commented on October 6th, 2010 at 7:02 pm

these are seriously adorable. will have to bookmark for future gift ideas. thanks for sharing Brittni.
linda recently posted..une-deux senses

linda commented on October 6th, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Glad you like them Linda. I am going to be making some of these during the holidays for sure!

Brittni: papernstitch commented on October 6th, 2010 at 9:23 pm

[...] Sweet little library card notebooks–right up my alley! [...]

From Outside the Frame | A Dusty Frame commented on October 8th, 2010 at 11:07 am

I adore these little books! What a great cover material, and those rounded corners are the perfect touch. And I’m excited to discover Packagery. Thank you for sharing!
Sister Diane recently posted..CraftyPod 123- Being More Authentic Online- with Kirsty Hall

Sister Diane commented on October 8th, 2010 at 11:46 am

That IS a super cute idea! Thanks! I’m a librarian, and now I know what to do with those old cards we don’t use anymore. I’m thinking Christmas…

Tracy commented on October 15th, 2010 at 6:36 pm

So glad you like the books Sister Diane. And you too Tracey. Also, Tracey this seems like the perfect project for you considering your profession!

papernstitch commented on October 15th, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Thanks for sharing the idea for these cute notebooks! I posted some pictures of the ones I made :)

Katie recently posted..Lovely Libraries

Katie commented on October 18th, 2010 at 4:55 am

They look great Katie. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

papernstitch commented on October 18th, 2010 at 9:56 am

[...] out more at paper n stitch – Make These: Little Library Card Notebooks – A daily dose of handmade, desig…. var linkwithin_site_id = 33949; (function () { var elem = document.createElement('script'); [...]

Notebook Stories: A Blog About Notebooks, Journals, Moleskines, Blank Books, Sketchbooks, Diaries and More commented on October 26th, 2010 at 9:22 am

Hi, how do you take these great pictures of your work? Any tips? Thanks!

Zro commented on October 27th, 2010 at 5:46 am

Hi Zro. Thank you. I can’t take credit for the photos in this particular tutorial (these were taken by Caitlin) but as for some of the other photographs on the blog, (I am not much a photographer myself) but I do have a few tips to share here: http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2010/06/21/top-ten-tips-for-better-product-photography/

papernstitch commented on October 27th, 2010 at 10:07 am

I love it, so neatly done.

Caca commented on February 25th, 2011 at 3:11 am

Such a simple + darling idea! Just pinned to my ‘back to school’ board on Pinterest! :) http://pinterest.com/rebeccacooper/back-to-school/
Rebecca Cooper recently posted..Recording Memories one Photo Collage at a Time

Rebecca Cooper commented on July 12th, 2013 at 3:58 pm

[…] Credit:: papernstitchblog.com via Knitty Bitties Pin on Pinterest Library cards purchased here: THATCH & THISTLE supply […]

Favorite Things Back-to-School Party // MY Favorite Thing commented on September 2nd, 2013 at 11:43 pm