05/08/13
51 comments Make This: Modern DIY Candle Votives on a Budget by   |   51 comments

modern-candle-votives-diy

The other day, I accidentally made today’s DIY project. I was planning to make something else entirely and then a little lightbulb went off in my head and I switched gears. Don’t you love it when that happens?

So, today’s edition of Make This will take you through making these modern, painted candle votives for just about any occasion: Mother’s Day, a housewarming party, a wedding. You name it – these DIY votives can adapt to pretty much anything, which is great. But the best part about this DIY is actually the price. About $5 worth of plaster and $5 worth of tealights will make roughly 50 completed votives. That makes each votive $0.20 to make from start to finish. Does it get any better than that?

Supplies:

• powder plaster,
  • plastic container for mixing,
  • silicone square mold (this is the exact one I used)
  • tealights
  • acrylic paint and paint brush
  • metal or wooden spoon
  • matte medium (optional)

How to make your own:

Written step by step instructions below images…

instructions-modern-votive-tutorial

1. Scoop powdered plaster into a small container and mix with water according to directions.

2. Stir water and plaster mixture until you achieve desired consistency, which should be similar to pancake batter. Plaster sets very quickly, so you will want to work fast.

3. Pour mixture into square mold or gently scoop the mixture in with a spoon.

4. Wait 2-3 minutes for it to start to set up. While it’s setting up, remove the candles from the metal shell they sit in. And place one in the top of each square. Then add coins or other small heavy objects to weigh it down, so it say in place.

5. Set aside and allow the plaster to harden for at least one hour (dry time may vary).

6. Carefully remove the plaster numbers from the mold one at a time and let them finish air drying for a full 24 hours.

7. Now that your numbers are completely dry, you can seal them with matte medium (optional) and then begin painting them.

8. Wait for the votives to dry completely, add the candles back into the tealight shells and you are done.

finished-votive-diy

styled-plaster-votive-tutorial-craft-project

modern-candle-votives-diy-20

styled-modern-votive-candles

There are so many uses for these little guys. You could give a set of votives to your mom for Mother’s Day, use them as a housewarming gift for a friend, or turn them into cool wedding favors.

Or keep them all for yourself.

Want more DIY ideas? Click here.

Concept, photography and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff for Paper & Stitch

51 comments to Make This: Modern DIY Candle Votives on a Budget Click here to reply

Brittni Mehlhoff (@papernstitch) commented on May 8th, 2013 at 8:18 am

RT @papernstitch: Make This: Modern DIY Candle Votives on a Budget: The other day, I accidentally made today’s… http://t.co/995yf78Yux

@hthrvghn commented on May 8th, 2013 at 8:27 am

So cute! RT@papernstitch Make This: Modern DIY Candle Votives on a Budget: The other day, I accidentally made today’s http://t.co/jgekftJJSu

Geri (@thelanguidlion) commented on May 8th, 2013 at 9:17 am

These are awesome!! I love the idea of using them as a housewarming gift!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Five Ways to Serve Breakfast in Bed

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on May 8th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Thanks Kel! I have these all around my house right now. Wish I had a housewarming to go to so I could unleash some of these. Ha!

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 10:58 am

These are beautiful! I absolutely love how you painted them too. xx. McKenna Lou
McKenna Ryan recently posted..Pinwheel Bouquet :: Kid Craft

McKenna Ryan commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:20 am

these look great! definitely bookmarking this post for my next party
juni recently posted..A LOT OF PRINTED MATTER

juni commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:29 am

This is brilliant!

Coffee mornings commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:50 am

Thanks McKenna, Juni and Coffee mornings. They were so fun to make. I think I have a new addiction.

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Brittni, these are so cool! And I love it when that lightbulb moment happens :)

Stephanie @ henry happened commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:59 am

Amazing – and easy! – Modern DIY Candle Votives on a Budget http://t.co/4WAbMKvKKm via @papernstitch

Stephanie Gerber (@henryhappened) commented on May 8th, 2013 at 12:00 pm

Thanks Steph. Yep, definitely love those lightbulb moments. And speaking of love…I love your ‘Fresh Flowers Idea’ roundup from today – so many pretty ways to use flowers. And thanks for including my project!

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Ooo love these! Thinking of doing some watercolor inspired ombre colors. Thanks for the idea!
Lorraine | Harvesting Love Events recently posted..Paint it Gold!

Lorraine | Harvesting Love Events commented on May 8th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Oh, a watercolor ombre effect would be perfect for this project! Thanks for stopping by Lorraine. Your blog is great! Just checked it out.

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 12:28 pm

I just found your blog through Designlovefest and will be following you. your content is stellar! I’ll take note of the votive idea for a rainy day.

Best,
Jane

Jane commented on May 8th, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Well, thanks Jane. So glad you found me.

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 1:00 pm

So adorable! As always, you DIYs are inspiring! Thanks you for sharing.
- Dusty.
- Dusty. recently posted..Tulips.

- Dusty. commented on May 8th, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Aw, thanks Dusty. :)

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 2:22 pm

I love this idea, so simple but effective. I’ve been looking for some sort of candle holders I can put out in the garden without worrying about them being blown over and smashed (which is what usually happens), these would be perfect! Xx

Lemonade Budget commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Awesome Lemonade Budget! Let me know how they turn out.

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:04 pm

How clever! I want to throw a party just so I can do this DIY :)

Rachel | 52 Weeks Project commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Thanks Rachel. You should definitely throw a party so you can make these. :)

papernstitch commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:30 pm

Looks like a super fun project! Does the matte medium make a big difference on the outcome? What exactly does it do?

Christie commented on May 8th, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Hi Christie. It just seals the plaster, making it less porous when painting. It didn’t make a big difference for my votives, but I like to have that option. Just in case.

papernstitch commented on May 9th, 2013 at 12:29 am

such an awesome DIY! love that and can’t wait to try this as well * all the best julia

julia I mintlametta commented on May 9th, 2013 at 9:16 am

Thanks Julia. I’d love to know how it turns out for you if you try this DIY.

papernstitch commented on May 9th, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Moms love candles. You love mom. So make some candles for mom’s day! #DIY how to: http://t.co/UnzEER9JrY

PlanetReuseMrkt (@PlanetReuseMrkt) commented on May 9th, 2013 at 2:08 pm

amazing!!!! I love it!

Zina commented on May 10th, 2013 at 3:21 am

[...] painted plaster candle votives from scratch by yours [...]

6 DIYs for your Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on May 10th, 2013 at 10:01 am

Thanks Zina. And speaking of amazing…that first yellow dress from Etsy on your blog right!? Love it!

papernstitch commented on May 10th, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Beautiful!!!!

Nice day :)

Nuria Vert et Foncé commented on May 11th, 2013 at 4:07 am

This is wonderful!! I love this perfect project and will do it this week!
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
Karena recently posted..Introducing Mary Tinduski of MJH Design Arts

Karena commented on May 12th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Wonderful!
Thank you very much!
Happy Days!

nermin commented on May 12th, 2013 at 7:34 pm

I used colored plaster instead of painting saved myself. Step, you can use god color and change the color of your plaster I did! Had fun dong it!

Sherry commented on May 14th, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Awesome Sherry! Love that idea. Makes the project even easier.

papernstitch commented on May 15th, 2013 at 10:52 am

RT @papernstitch: @FunctionalGirl I sure do… This votive DIY is super budget-friendly http://t.co/e7pGSP6DFr each one costs about 20 cents to make

@FunctionalGirl commented on May 23rd, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Such a neat idea. Thanks for sharing.

Rebeca commented on June 23rd, 2013 at 10:15 pm

LOVE this idea! Does it matter what kind of plaster to use? Or could you tell us what brand you used?

claire commented on July 5th, 2013 at 10:39 am

Thanks Claire. I don’t think it matters what kind of plaster is used. I bought mine from Hobby Lobby in the kid’s craft section. So, it seems that any kind (no matter how inexpensive) will work.

papernstitch commented on July 5th, 2013 at 10:51 am

[…] DIY idee met gips en dipped dyed via papernstitchblog […]

dipped dye kaarsen | het Woonschrift commented on August 30th, 2013 at 6:01 am

[…] to the tutorial: Modern Candle Votives by Paper & […]

Modern Candle Votives DIY Tutorial | Hip Home Making.com commented on September 1st, 2013 at 6:04 pm

[…] Make modern candle votives for $0.20 a piece from […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on January 2nd, 2014 at 9:01 am

[…] Full tutorial: papernstitchblog.com […]

Creative DIY Candle Holder Ideas | commented on January 29th, 2014 at 8:08 pm

[…] Pour de jolis bougeoirs fait-maisons en plâtre, à décliner sous toutes les formes et les couleurs, c’est par ici. […]

DIY #19 | Cooky & Granola commented on February 3rd, 2014 at 8:03 am

[…] 7. Modern Votives by Paper & Stitch […]

15 Stocking Stuffer DIYS - The Crafted Life commented on March 13th, 2014 at 9:00 pm

any of you know the name of matte medium in Spanish?

adriana commented on March 18th, 2014 at 7:11 pm

What kind of sealer did you use here? I have plans to use these in my wedding. Have been looking a an inexpensive way to scatter tea lights all over the tables. Thanks for sharing!
Lexi recently posted..Interior Obsessions: In Living Color

Lexi commented on April 3rd, 2014 at 7:53 pm

You can use gloss or matte medium if you’re looking for a sealant.

Brittni commented on April 4th, 2014 at 3:40 am

[…] (Source) […]

15 Ingenious DIY Candle Holder | HipHomeMaking commented on May 5th, 2014 at 12:06 am

[…] Image via: papernstitchblog.com […]

15 DIY Creative Candle Holder Ideas | NewNist commented on May 9th, 2014 at 6:28 am

[…] had never made candles before, really…unless you count these. And I assumed there would be a learning curve to it. Turns out though, they’re really pretty […]

How To Make Scented Soy Candles | Paper and Stitch commented on June 23rd, 2014 at 8:01 am