07/24/13
25 comments Make This: Paper Flower Hair Accessory DIY by   |   25 comments

DIY // paper flower hair accessories

I am busy with offline projects today, so Ally from Now That’s Pretty has kindly offered to share a colorful paper flower hair accessory DIY with you. And let me tell you…I am totally in love with this idea. Definitely a must-try. Take it away Ally…

A sure sign that it’s summer is when every girl in every magazine suddenly has flowers in her hair. For us girls without a styling team watching our every flyaway, there has been a dozen amazing flower crown tutorials floating about the web, all ready to transform us into summery flower fairies. However! Flower crowns can be a little awkward to wear; firstly, they are not very adaptable, you’re pretty much going to have to settle with hair down. And secondly they can sometimes skirt around the edges of simply looking like you’ve plonked some flowers on top of your head. I wanted to create a little hair accessory which was totally adaptable to different hairstyles and still looked delicate and pretty.

The best part is also how much potential you have with these little spirals; for my prom up-do I replaced flowers with pearls for a sophisticated look and in the future I fully intend to try out some bows. If you try out any be sure to share!

DIY // paper flower step by step

To make your flower you will need: Some good quality card // Scissors // Two knitting needles of different thicknesses // A glue gun

Steps: 1. First cut out your petals. You will need one tear drop shape for the centre and then about five rounded heart shapes. 2. Take a small knitting needle and roll the tear drop to make the centre of your rose. 3. Now take your heart shape and pinch the base around a large knitting needle. 4. With a small knitting needle curl the tops of your petals backwards. 5. Curl all of your petals in this way. 6. To assemble your rose start by gluing the tear drop shape into the centre of one of your petals. 7. Continue to build up your rose in this way adding petals diagonally opposite. 8. When you’re finished your rose should look like this!

DIY // paper flowers hair accessories steps

To make your spiral fitting you will need: Wire (I used 20 gauge) // Some round nose pliers // Some flat nose pliers // Wire cutters // A glue gun

Steps: 1. Using the very base of your round nosed pliers make a large circle. This will be the centre of your spiral and where you will be gluing your flower. 2. Using your flat nosed pliers hold your wire and keep rotating and twisting round until you have a wire spiral. 3. Cut off your spiral leaving a short tail. 4. Using the smallest part of your round nosed pliers make a small loop at the end or the tail. This is just to round off the edges so it doesn’t hurt your head. 5. Now holding the centre circle gentle pull out your spiral. 6. Add a big blob of glue gun to the centre of your spiral and glue on your paper flower.

paper-flower-hair-diy

DIY // paper flowers hair tutorial

fun-bun-paper-flowers-diy

And you’re done! To wind in your flowers simply thread the end of your spiral into your hair and twist. The spirals work best when applied into tight hairstyles or up dos but can also be reasonably secure in loose hair.

smallThis guest post was written by Ally Ebdon. Ally  is currently based in Edinburgh, UK. She splits her time between writing for her DIY blog Now That’s Pretty, running her custom ukulele business and ensuring that the entire house is covered with confetti.

This entry is filed under , , , , .
25 comments to Make This: Paper Flower Hair Accessory DIY Click here to reply

love this! I’m definitely going to try this one out. a lot more versatile than flower crowns for sure.
juni // hej juni recently posted..LIFE IN FILM // SINGAPORE PART I

juni // hej juni commented on July 24th, 2013 at 8:00 am

Totally! Let me know how it goes, Juni!

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 8:47 am

This is GORGEOUS

Sophie commented on July 24th, 2013 at 8:49 am

And speaking of gorgeous…your blog is so lovely Sophie! Thanks for stopping by.

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 8:56 am

Those flowers look gorgeous and it’s such a good idea to use them in hair! Thanks for sharing! xx
Kaisa recently posted..Week 29: Borderline

Kaisa commented on July 24th, 2013 at 8:57 am

Glad you like Ally’s tutorial Kaisa. I am hoping to try this out over the weekend with some different types of paper flowers. Such a fun idea!

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 9:15 am

this is absolutely the sweetest thing! oh how I wish I had a little girl to braid the flower garland through her hair!
Diane @ homesweethomemade recently posted..landscape – a year later

Diane @ homesweethomemade commented on July 24th, 2013 at 9:17 am

This would so cute for a little girls birthday party. Wouldn’t it, Diane? I’d totally rock it too though! :)

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 10:00 am

this is so pretty… and looks pretty quick and simple, requirements for personal craft projects these days. can’t wait to make a few!

lauren commented on July 24th, 2013 at 10:14 am

Yes! Quick and simple are requirements for me too, these days. Thanks for stopping by Lauren!

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 10:30 am

This idea is genius!! The brilliance that is Ally strikes again. Love it!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Beach Ball Drink Stirrers

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on July 24th, 2013 at 10:38 am

Agreed Kelly! Ally is one clever (DIY) cookie. Loved this project! And thanks again to Ally for sharing it with my readers!

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 10:48 am

Gorgeous! They used to make lots of hair accessories with that spin base in the early 2000s and I was obsessed. These are so cute!

-Becca
Becca recently posted..DIY Arrow Tote

Becca commented on July 24th, 2013 at 10:50 am

Really, Becca? I don’t remember ever seeing anything like this before…Now, I’ll have to research it. You’re making me curious. :)

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 11:30 am

So dreamy! Even though I have shorter hair, I’m totally going to try this. I’m eyeing my dusty scrapbook paper with newfound respect!

Rachel Linquist commented on July 24th, 2013 at 11:39 am

Oh good, Rachel! I’m sure they’ll look great in your hair.

papernstitch commented on July 24th, 2013 at 11:54 am

This is gorgeous! It would be perfect for a DIY wedding hair piece.

Hillary commented on July 24th, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I love how customizable the flower placement can be! So great!
Kathleen recently posted..S’mores On The Go Kit

Kathleen commented on July 24th, 2013 at 6:14 pm

oh wow… that is some serious loveliness! i would like to try making this to put in my 4 year old niece’s hair… totally cute tutorial, ally. :)
lyndsay // coco cake land recently posted..DIY Wedding Cake + Monogram Cake Toppers

lyndsay // coco cake land commented on July 25th, 2013 at 12:08 pm

[...] Paper flower hair accessories DIY from Ally for Paper & [...]

5 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on July 26th, 2013 at 8:01 am

thank you for the tutorial! It looks wonderful!

Linda commented on July 27th, 2013 at 2:21 pm

very beautiful thanks

Mesh commented on July 30th, 2013 at 10:02 am

Adorable; what a fabulous idea! Did you have any issues removing them from your hair (tangles, etc)?
Rachel | 52 Weeks Project recently posted..Inspiration of the Week: Polka Dots

Rachel | 52 Weeks Project commented on August 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 pm

[…] You can check out the wonderful tutorial HERE. […]

DIY Paper Flower Hair Accessories | Ecka & PeckaEcka & Pecka commented on August 12th, 2013 at 7:04 am