Through the class I teach on Skillshare, I've been fortunate enough to meet a lot of amazing DIYers (who happen to be my students - one of the perks of teaching a tutorials class). One of those students I'm referring to is Marlene, the editor of Jade and Fern. And today, I have the pleasure of sharing an autumn tutorial from Marlene just in time for the Thanksgiving: wire pumpkin cupcake toppers. Yay! I'll let her take it away...
Raise your hand if you think the holidays are all about the food!
I’ve never been a big seasonal decorator because I’m too focused on what to eat—bulking up for the winter months, you know.
But this year, I’ve been inspired to get crafty and make some charming fall decorations. Since I couldn’t let go of the edible side of the harvest season, I created these Wire Pumpkin Cupcake Toppers for party desserts. They are a cinch to make and will look great on your Thanksgiving table, or for any autumn occasion.
Supplies: 1. Thin wire, such as copper or brass (for 12 toppers, you will need 12 feet of wire) 2. Wire cutters or strong scissors 3. Small pliers 4. Bamboo skewers
1. Cut a length of wire about 12” long, and bend it into a rough circle shape. Leave a tail of 1.5” to 2”.
2. Create the stem of the pumpkin by using your fingers to pinch together the wire at the top of the circle.
3. Wrap the end of the circle around the tail—like a twisty-tie—to secure the circle shape.
4. Form a squat pumpkin by squeezing the top and bottom of the circle together. Use your fingers to bend the wires around until you are satisfied with the shape. You can also bend the stem for variation.
5. Tightly coil the tail around a bamboo skewer and trim off the end. Since the wire is so flexible, it is easy to reposition everything until you are happy with the look.
That’s it! A cute little wire pumpkin cupcake topper to impress your guests.
You can pop them into fluffy chocolate cupcakes like I did, or use them for other treats—perhaps a classic pumpkin pie?
What yummy concoctions would you like to decorate with these festive wire toppers?