01/15/14
24 comments Make This: The Easiest V-Day Dessert by   |   24 comments

Valentine's Day Dessert Idea

I feel like I need to start this post by saying, I am a sweets girl. A candy fiend. Maybe even a candy addict? I don’t know. But the point is, I love sweets. Which explains the following…

When I think of Valentine’s Day, the first thing that comes to mind (after the traditional colors or red and pink) is definitely candy/ sweet treats. I’m not big on traditional stuff for holidays, so I came up with an unconventional, but EXTREMELY easy, dessert for V-Day to help you celebrate. Whether you love V-Day or love to hate it, I think we can all agree that sugar is where it is at on this day. Right?

And honestly, you don’t need to wait until Valentine’s Day to make these little guys. Any day can be a candy cups dessert day. Heck, when we shot this project in December, I had planned to use it for New Year’s Eve. Dropped the ball on that one! Didn’t I? So it kind of works for any holiday, really.

easiest dessert ever

So…to make the easiest Valentine’s Day dessert ever, purchase little, edible meringue nests from a specialty store (I got mine from World Market). Or make ‘em from scratch using a recipe like this one. Then stuff the nests with ice cream, tiny pieces of cake, custard, etc. And sprinkle a little fancy licorice candy (or some other candy if you don’t like licorice) on top. Done. Ready to serve.

Or if you’re crazy, like me, skip that middle step (who needs ice cream or cake) and pour candy directly into the edible cups and eat ‘em straight, like a five year old. Please don’t judge me.

V-Day dessert idea

licorice candy + meringue cups

meringue cups with candy

Photography by Sarah Eddy / Concept and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

P.S. Great minds like alike. Victoria from A Subtle Revelry just posted a meringue piñata idea yesterday that I think is super clever. Which means it’s official, meringue and candy go hand in hand!

This entry is filed under , , , , , , .
24 comments to Make This: The Easiest V-Day Dessert Click here to reply

So freaking cute!
chelsea recently posted..In a year of blogging.

chelsea commented on January 15th, 2014 at 10:05 am

Thanks Chelsea. :)

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 11:00 am

So yummy looking! Just gotta find sweets that both me and the other half will eat…

Emma commented on January 15th, 2014 at 11:12 am

That will probably be the biggest challenge for this little dessert, Emma. Hope you find something you can both agree on. In this case, I’m lucky that my husband likes licorice…although probably not the meringues so much.

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 12:00 pm

what a great idea! I love meringue, it’s such a light treat, and the licorice all sorts are a total guilty pleasure of mine. Thanks for the great idea!
Julie recently posted..FO: Classic Red Sweater and How to Add a Faux Seam

Julie commented on January 15th, 2014 at 12:09 pm

I love licorice too, Julie…still warming up to meringue, in general, but in this case it’s kind of perfect.

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 12:12 pm

These are VERY cute! Hopefully they have these meringue nests at the my closest grocer. I just had this fantastic “spring nest” idea using cadbury creme/candy eggs for it come spring time. Thanks for brilliant idea!
Annie @ The Littlest Sparrow recently posted..How To: Create Custom Facebook Photo Album Covers

Annie @ The Littlest Sparrow commented on January 15th, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I’ll cross my fingers for your Annie. Hope you can find some…these would be perfect for Easter!

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 2:49 pm

These look so great!.. and your pictures are lovely to look at. Can you do a post on what kind of camera gear you use and how you style your shots?

Gianelli commented on January 15th, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Hi Gianelli. Sarah Eddy took these photographs for me. I just did the styling and concept. But I do take a lot of the photos that you see here. So I have some info about my camera on the about page (under the FAQ section) http://www.papernstitchblog.com/about . Additionally, I teach a class on Skillshare http://skl.sh/16iG5x2 that covers how I style tutorials, take photos, etc if you want to check that out. Hope that helps! And I’ll see what I can do about doing a dedicate post on photography and styling stuff.

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 3:55 pm

Too late! Judged ya! lol
Though it’s really yummy, will definitely try to find or make the meringues :D

Lesia commented on January 15th, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Haha. Hope you can find or make some Lesia. They’re so fun and easy.

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Meringue nests are amazing! This looks beautiful. I also love them filled with chocolate mousse!
Stacia recently posted..Displaying My Words for 2014

Stacia commented on January 15th, 2014 at 9:35 pm

Chocolate mousse is a great idea Stacia. I might have to try that.

papernstitch commented on January 15th, 2014 at 10:00 pm

These photos are absolutely gorgeous! Cute idea Brittni!
Rachel | 52 Weeks Project recently posted..DIY Initial Carved Candle

Rachel | 52 Weeks Project commented on January 15th, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Thanks Rachel! Hope you’re doing well. Those wood magnets you made recently are super cute, by the way.

papernstitch commented on January 16th, 2014 at 7:34 am

I’m obsessing over those edible meringue nests!! How convenient and really really cute! I’d be happy to receive one of these, and even better, so easy to make to give to others! Thanks, Brittni!
Jessica (Coco/Mingo) recently posted..Download + Print // Full 2014 year calendar

Jessica (Coco/Mingo) commented on January 16th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

What a cute idea! I would fill them with M&Ms, my husband’s favourite!

Julia @ Chic To Do commented on January 20th, 2014 at 6:44 am

[…] easiest Valentine’s Day dessert ever from Paper & […]

8 Valentine DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch commented on January 31st, 2014 at 9:01 am

[…] one two three four five six […]

Moustache Mix: Edible Valentines | Dapper with Moustache commented on January 31st, 2014 at 6:50 pm

[…] across this year? I personally love these little tokens, a giant bundle of conversation hearts, and little meringue treasure buckets as I like to call […]

DIY // Favorite Valentine's from the archives commented on February 3rd, 2014 at 8:05 am

[…] one two three four five six […]

Moustache Mix: Party Edition | Dapper with Moustache commented on February 21st, 2014 at 7:03 pm

[…] 30. fancy licorice in edible meringue cups […]

30 Sweet Treats for You to Eat on My Birthday | Paper & Stitch commented on May 15th, 2014 at 8:01 am

[…] Fancy Licorice – If you remember this post, you know I’m partial to these pretty candies. And I really like licorice. So it’s a […]

Paper & Stitch Turns 6! Time for Ice Cream. | Paper and Stitch commented on July 30th, 2014 at 8:01 am