Mother’s Day DIY to Try: Watercolor Meringues

Easy Watercolor Meringues with Gel Food Coloring

I’m not 100% sure, but I may have a thing for decorating sweet treats. First it was the ombre + color block donuts and now it’s watercolor meringue cookies!

These would be a perfect addition to a Mother’s Day care package. And super affordable too! All you need to make your own are some meringue cookies (store bought  or homemade) and gel food coloring.

Well…there are a couple of additional supplies, actually, but those are the main ingredients. Full supply list and tutorial here.

Watercolor Meringue Cookies DIY

Since I used food coloring, instead of real watercolor paint for these cookies, they’re 100% food safe. AND they taste exactly the same as they wood without the added food coloring. No difference in taste…believe me, I taste tested a lot of these.

DIY // Watercolor Meringues

DIY Watercolor Inspired Meringues

DIY Watercolor Meringue Cookies

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

Check out the full tutorial right here on Project Wedding.

Think you’ll try these for a Mother’s Day treat? Or maybe just as a fun snack/ dessert at a dinner party?

P.S.  Today is my brother’s birthday! And I kind of think he has the coolest birthday ever…being born on Earth Day and all. Happy 27th birthday Brandon!

This entry is filed under , , , , , .

Gorgeous! I would have never thought of that.
Rebekah {aCricketSang} recently posted..Cool Breeze of Summer – Etsy Finds

Rebekah {aCricketSang} | April 22nd, 2014 at 8:20 am

Thanks Rebekah. It’s so easy too – you should give it a try.

Brittni | April 22nd, 2014 at 8:50 am

Very pretty! Did you find the colouring dissolved the meringues at all?
Karen @ Pieces of Contentment recently posted..Three Facts

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment | April 22nd, 2014 at 8:59 am

That’s a good question Karen. I mixed the gel food coloring with water to create the ‘paint’ and found that as long as I removed the meringues after dunking very quickly they were fine. If you let them sit too long, they may start to dissolve a little bit. If you’re using the brush to paint strips or design, just tap off excess from the brush before using and you should be fine. If you run into problems, quickly blotting off with a paper towel or cloth can help too.

But after painting and/or dunking 20+ meringues, I only had 2 or 3 that had dissolved at all. So, you should be fine.

Brittni | April 22nd, 2014 at 10:18 am

So pretty! I love these!

Chelsea | April 22nd, 2014 at 10:39 am

Sooo pretty! I love the striped ones especially!!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Party Hat Treat Cones

Kelly @ Studio DIY | April 22nd, 2014 at 11:29 am

Oh I just adore these! *Now on my list for upcoming parties!

Sarah | April 22nd, 2014 at 12:10 pm

These are amazing!
Tang recently posted..Crown Flora Terrarium Workshop

Tang | April 22nd, 2014 at 4:49 pm

These are so very pretty! They would be a perfect treat for an afternoon tea party. Thanks for sharing :)

Jenni @ The Common Creative | April 23rd, 2014 at 12:16 am

Awesome! Doing a pink inspired “Sugar & Spice” baby shower. Have already picked up the white meringues…now I’ll add alittle watercolor.
Thanks for the great idea!!

Sue | April 23rd, 2014 at 8:49 am

This looks so yum!
Elsbet | La Vie Pure recently posted..MAX Lipsticks Action | Poppy Peach & Pink Blush

Elsbet | La Vie Pure | April 23rd, 2014 at 11:45 am

Great idea! Also, I think food and art have a lot in common, which makes this and better idea to try!

hugs,
agnes
agnes szucs / iiiinspired recently posted..a little this and that

agnes szucs / iiiinspired | April 24th, 2014 at 6:58 am

[…] 5. Watercolor meringues DIY from Paper & Stitch […]

5 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper & Stitch | April 25th, 2014 at 8:01 am

[…] with putting a bright pink chair in the house and John not caring I would be all over this one! Watercolor Meringues // I LOVE meringues, and these not only look delicious but they also look really pretty as well! […]

Friday Favorites 4/25 » Three Loud Kids | April 25th, 2014 at 9:55 am

hm, looks delicious!
moms would be happy to get the yammies for the holiday))
also care can be expressed in the cards…i love cardmaking, visit me when have some time with yuor meringues))

Migal Richi | April 26th, 2014 at 12:51 pm

[…] J’ai trouvé ce DIY sur ce site : http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2014/04/22/mothers-day-diy-to-try-watercolor-meringues/ […]

DIY Meringues colorées mais vraiment pas comme d'habitude ! | Le Meilleur du DIY | April 27th, 2014 at 2:02 am

[…] store. // FIVE I’m a sucker for before and after posts and this bedroom makeover is gorgeous! // SIX This is such a cute idea […]

LINK LOVE // 07 | Folk & Fest | April 28th, 2014 at 5:16 am

Adorable DIY project ;))!

anatomiedesmots | April 30th, 2014 at 6:00 am

[…] goes a long way! You can dip the meringues into the color, or paint it on. My inspiration came from Paper and Stitch. She used store-bought cookies […]

How to Make French Meringues for Mother's Day - Town & Country Living | May 2nd, 2014 at 8:02 am

[…] Watercolour meringues […]

WOW Hearts… | May 2nd, 2014 at 11:52 am

Great idea, especially for Mother’s day. Love the soft coloring to make them so special.

Linda | May 3rd, 2014 at 10:56 am

[…] no secret that I’m a fan of sweets. A big fan, actually. Evidence here, here, and here. But there is one dessert that I am slightly more obsessed with than normal, at the […]

Currently Obsessed with…Macarons | Paper and Stitch | July 21st, 2014 at 8:00 am

Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring project. I shared it with my readers too.
Hope you’ll get some traffic from it.
Keep on inpspiring,
greetings from the Netherlands,
Karin Joan

Karin Joan | August 12th, 2014 at 1:15 pm

[…] [full recipe via paper & stitch] […]

Watercolor Meringues | November 21st, 2014 at 1:47 pm

[…] Watercolor Meringues by Paper & Stitch […]

10 FAVORITE KISS & HEART MERINGUE COOKIES FOR YOUR VALENTINE | Design by Occasion | February 2nd, 2015 at 8:11 am