06/25/14
20 comments Make This: A Ten Minute Cake That Will Make You Want to Celebrate by   |   20 comments

Celebrate! With this ten minute DIY cake idea.

So, you may have noticed that I’ve been dipping my toes (a tiny bit) into food lately and it’s been really fun for me. I’m not creating my own original recipes just yet, but I’m inching my way in that direction. Unless you count painting donuts to make watermelon slices as a recipe – in that case, I’m already there!

So, I thought I would share a semi-homemade cake idea that basically screams summer AND will only take a few minutes to make. That’s where the semi-homemade thing comes into play.

And since it’s light and fruity, I’m thinking it would be perfect for a summer party, the Fourth of July, or even a birthday…I did put some candles on it, after all.

So, if you don’t have time to bake a cake from scratch, but you still want to celebrate in style, give this cake a try. Good for block parties and potlucks too!

Here’s how you can make your own in ten minutes or less…

Semi-Homeade Angel Food Cake with Fresh Blueberry Whipped Icing

Ingredients and Supplies:

store-bought angel food cake, or make your own with your favorite recipe // whipped topping (I used Cool Whip, but you can use any whipped topping you’d like) // fresh blueberries // a plastic bag // a meat tenderizer or rubber mallet // a spoon

How-To:

1. Remove the store-bought angel food cake from the packaging and arrange it on a cake plate. That way you don’t have to move it again.

2. Next, pour about a third to one half of a container of fresh blueberries into a plastic bag, remove the air and close it. *I tired to pick out the blueberries that were most ripe (or even over ripe) for this part. Then, using the flat part of a meat tenderizer, smash the blueberries to release the juices and squish the skins.

3. Add the smashed blueberries and juice to the whipped topping and stir until everything is well mixed. I used — ounces of Cool Whip. This will give you a very light purple color. If you want something that is a bit more saturated, you can add a tiny bit of purple food coloring gel.

4. With a spoon (no need to use an icing spatula – it’s really not that fancy), start spooning on the whipped mixture generously. Start at the top of the cake and let it fall down the sides naturally on it’s on, as you add more to the top.

5. Continue this process all the way around the cake. And add additional (whole) blueberries on top to finish. That’s it! All done.

Semi-Homemade // Cake with Fresh Blueberry Icing

Just for fun, I made a couple of super quick cake toppers too, in case you want to add some extra flair. The first one is just a few glitter flags. I made them with glitter tape and wooden skewers. *This option (below) looks kind of Fourth of July-ish to me, so if you’re feeling festive/ patriotic, try the glitter flags.

By the way, have you used glitter tape before? It’s kind of amazing. I just bought a pack of 24 rolls (all different colors) on Amazon, in case you need a reason to add a few more spools to your stash.

Angel Food Cake with Fresh Blueberry Whipped Icing

And I made the second cake topper with a couple of eucalyptus leaves that I happen to have already. I just cut the leaves into shapes and glued them to wooden skewers.

DIY Cake Toppers made of Eucalyptus Leaves

Angel Food Cake + Fresh Blueberry Whipped Icing

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

P.S. This cake only cost me $8 to make! Cheaper than buying a sheet cake at the grocery store, and a lot prettier, if you ask me.

Want more food DIYs? More food DIYs here.

20 comments to Make This: A Ten Minute Cake That Will Make You Want to Celebrate Click here to reply

What’s not to love…..semi cakes are the way forward!!

Jessica Rose recently posted..Fudge Smooth Shot Shampoo & Conditioner Review

Jessica Rose commented on June 25th, 2014 at 9:02 am

Thanks Jessica. It’s definitely the easiest way to go.

Brittni commented on June 25th, 2014 at 9:15 am

Such a great idea and I bet it’s delicious! I am going to add this to my 4th of july party list! maybe i’ll try half of the cake with strawberries to make it extra red white and blue festive :)

Lauren | http://www.livelovelauren.com
Lauren recently posted..Summer Playlist – Week 1

Lauren commented on June 25th, 2014 at 9:27 am

Thanks Lauren. Good call on adding strawberries for the Fourth. You could add raspberries instead too, if you wanted to keep with the round(ish) fruits.

Brittni commented on June 25th, 2014 at 10:00 am

I spy those amazing black matches in there! I bet this was delish! And on another (random) note… I really love the color of the whipped cream! This would be so pretty for a baby or bridal shower.
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Firework Drink Stirrers

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on June 25th, 2014 at 11:04 am

Thanks Kel. I was happy with how the color turned out too…I was definitely going for lilac. You know how obsessed I’ve been with that color lately!

And YES the matches…finally making their appearance. I can’t believe how long ago I bought those. But hey, at least they’re getting use now.

Brittni commented on June 25th, 2014 at 11:32 am

Love this B! So pretty :)

Ashley | Sugar & Cloth commented on June 25th, 2014 at 1:16 pm

Aw, thanks Ash! Means a lot coming from you – AKA the queen of pretty food posts.

Brittni commented on June 25th, 2014 at 3:00 pm

for me it’s always the easiest the better!! and look at the wonderful colours on this one <3
Corina nika recently posted..SMOOTHIE TIME!

Corina nika commented on June 25th, 2014 at 3:24 pm

Thanks Corina! Right there with you on ‘the easier the better’ mentality.

Brittni commented on June 25th, 2014 at 9:40 pm

Soo cute. Great color combo. Love love!

Yvonne // Paper Generation commented on June 25th, 2014 at 11:17 pm

Thanks Yvonne. :)

Brittni commented on June 26th, 2014 at 12:51 am

This looks so delicious and simple. I love things like this that go over so well at events and parties but are so easy to pull together. Thanks for the inspiring idea!
Stacia recently posted..Color Inspiration: Pinky Tangerine

Stacia commented on June 26th, 2014 at 2:34 pm

Yes! I 100% agree with you Stacia…anything that has the potential to be a hit at a party and only took ten minutes to make is alright in my book. :)

Brittni commented on June 27th, 2014 at 11:56 am

Hi

This looks amazing such a great idea to have at BBQ or to take to a friends for dessert. i cannot wait to make this myself.

Please can you also take a look at my new blog Future.Life.Happiness http://futurelifehappiness.wordpress.com/

Thanks
Jess
Jessica recently posted..How to make the most of a small room

Jessica commented on July 1st, 2014 at 10:25 am

Thanks Jessica. This is definitely a good option for a BBQ.

Brittni commented on July 2nd, 2014 at 4:42 pm

[…] the ten minute angel food cake (perfect for the Fourth) on Paper & […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper and Stitch commented on July 3rd, 2014 at 8:00 am

So light and fun and yet easily simple – definitely one for those last minute moments!
Hope recently posted..DIY Fun Kids Craft Activity Ideas

Hope commented on July 4th, 2014 at 5:07 am

Thanks Hope. :)

Brittni commented on July 4th, 2014 at 4:40 pm

[…] verder, want ik heb super leuke plaatjes verzameld die ik heel graag met jullie wil delen!confetti cake rainbow […]

Happy moodboard | The sweet little monster commented on September 26th, 2014 at 1:18 am