08/21/14
13 comments Interior Obsessions: I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY by   |   13 comments

Interior Obsessions // I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY

I thought I’d have some fun with Interior Obsessions this week and combine my first love, DIY, with my second love, great design. So, I scoured my backlog of interior links, searching for clever decor items that could potentially be DIYed. Fun, right?

Here’s what I found…

1. Potted Pendant Light: I saw this quirky, cool house on The Design Files and love the hanging pot pendant light.

Remodelista shared a tutorial for how to make a similar hanging pendant light, on your own. So, this one is definitely DIYable. Even without a tutorial. You basically just need a light kit and a pot.

Interior Obsessions // I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY

2. Leather Storage Straps: These leather straps from Mathilda Clahr are perfectly minimal and act as an interesting design and storage element on the wall.

They can be DIYed with a long strap of leather and a long nail or screw, but can also be purchased here, ready for hanging (which I would seriously consider because they’re so perfect).

Interior Obsessions // I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY

3. Unexpected Gallery Wall: A gallery wall in an unexpected place, like a bathroom, is an easy DIY to tackle. And this bathroom gallery wall is one of the most interesting I’ve seen lately. (found via my buddy, Chelsea at Lovely Indeed)

All you need are some framed prints, paintings, postcards, etc. Matching frames not required. Map out a general plan for how you want the cluster to look, on the floor first, before hammering any nails. Rue has a tutorial for hanging the perfect gallery wall if you need a little guidance.

Interior Obsessions // I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY

4. Blanket Ladder: I love blanket ladders, generally. And when I saw this one being used as a place for shoes and accessories, I thought it was really clever. It might be a little too rustic for my taste, but still, I like it.

And there is a great tutorial for making your own mid-century inspired blanket ladder, over on A Beautiful Mess. So, something like this could be DIYed fairly easily.

Interior Obsessions // I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY

5. Copper Clothing Rack: And finally…I fell in love with this hanging copper clothing rack, from Madelynn Hackwith Furlong, along with everyone else, when I saw it on SFgirlbybay.

A couple of months later, Madelynn shared the DIY tutorial for the same copper rack on SFgirlbybay. It’s one of my favorite clothing rack DIYs because it doesn’t take up any floor space. Plus, it’s copper. Hard not to like that.

Which one of these would you be most likely to try in your home?

Visit the Interior Obsessions tag for more posts like this one.

Also, big thanks to Bloglovin’ for featuring last week’s Interior Obsessions post, Planter Banter. Follow me on Bloglovin’ here if you haven’t already.

This entry is filed under , , , .
13 comments to Interior Obsessions: I Spy 5 Things I Can DIY Click here to reply

I love Madelynn’s copper pipe clothing rack. Especially the one in the bedroom nook. In fact I love anything with copper, like everyone else at the moment, so this one is definitely my favourite. Although the snorkel and goggles girl art print in the bathroom is a winner too!
Theycalleditthediamondblog recently posted..DIY Pineapple Cross Stitch Racerback T-shirt

Theycalleditthediamondblog commented on August 21st, 2014 at 8:40 am

Sounds like we’re on the same page. Love the copper rack, of course, and the goggles girl piece in number 3 completely makes the room, in my opinion.

Brittni commented on August 21st, 2014 at 9:43 am

What a genius idea for a post, B! I’m kind of dying over that whole claw foot tub/gallery wall situation. Needs to happen in my future home!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..Funfetti Creamsicles

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on August 21st, 2014 at 1:48 pm

Thanks Kel. Yeah, that claw foot tub is pretty great. I’m dreaming of one in our next house too…I have a very particular DIY idea for it, that I’m dying to try.

Brittni commented on August 21st, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I love seeing gallery walls in bathrooms. They are so unexpected!

- Christina http://www.cityloveee.blogspot.com
Christina recently posted..wwafwd? // what would a french woman do?

Christina commented on August 21st, 2014 at 6:06 pm

I completely agree, Christina. Love gallery walls in the bathroom.

Brittni commented on August 21st, 2014 at 8:00 pm

I would definitely use the ladder and the copper clothing rack if I had the room for them! all great DIYs
Kyra recently posted..DIY Photo Display/Wall Decoration

Kyra commented on August 21st, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I hear ya on space, Kyra. At least the clothing rack doesn’t take up much space, since it’s hanging. Although, once you add clothes, it will stick out a little bit.

Brittni commented on August 22nd, 2014 at 7:00 am

Que buenas ideas!!!!!
La segunda para el escritorio es fantástica, me encanta!

Saludos!!!
En estado de Rachel recently posted..Veraniega casa en Suecia.

En estado de Rachel commented on August 22nd, 2014 at 9:13 am

I would love to try leather storage straps and the ladder. Especially, storage straps look both chic and functional. Also there could be many variations of it. Shoe storage is always an issue for me so i would go for a wider ladder :)

Güner commented on August 22nd, 2014 at 9:17 am

Aren’t those leather straps cool, Güner. I love ‘em too.

Brittni commented on August 22nd, 2014 at 10:25 am

that copper clothing rack is AMAZING! it’d be perfect to showcaase some of my prettier dresses. and i also like the idea of using a blanket ladder for shoes- that really is clever!

xo marlen
Messages on a Napkin
Marlen recently posted..DRESS LAYERING IDEAS

Marlen commented on August 25th, 2014 at 2:53 pm

any idea as to how i can get a copy of the goggles girl print in the bathroom? it’s adorable!

Justie commented on August 31st, 2014 at 2:33 am