7 Ways to Create Patterned Holiday Gift Wrap Using Items you Already Have in Your House

7 Ways to Stamp Gift Wrap for the Holidays

I’ve partnered with Seven Daughters wine to bring you a series of posts that revolve around my favorite subject: DIY. And today marks the third post in this series. See posts one and two here: 7 DIY Entertaining Hacks to Get You Through Your Next Dinner Party in Style and DIY Leather Stamped Cheese Markers and Food Tags.

Each year, I try to come up with a unique way to wrap holiday gifts, whether its with recycled pages from a calendar, newspaper, etc. But this year, I wanted to do something a little different and DIY my own patterned gift wrap, using common household items. Im all about last-minute (but still totally thoughtful) ways to makes gifts more special. Arent you?

And I have to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised by all the cool patterns I was able to come up with, just with items I already have lying around my house.

So to share these DIY gift wrap ideas, Ive partnered up with Seven Daughters wine again, just in time for the holidays.

Here are 7 ways to create patterned gift wrap using items you probably already have in your house”¦

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using Popsicle Sticks

1. Popsicle Sticks: You know I have a ton of popsicle sticks laying around after all of those popsicle recipes, so this one of my favorite of the seven. Anything with a linear pattern is A+ in my book.

Just glue a popsicle stick sideways onto another popsicle stick that is face down, to create a long handle for easy gripping while stamping.

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using Wine Bottle

2. Wine Bottle: After youve finished a bottle of wine, use it to stamp wrapping paper before adding the bottle to the recycling bin. The opening creates a dot outline that looks pretty neat.

All you need to do is dip the mouth of the bottle into a little bit of acrylic paint and start stamping. Easy as can be.

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using a Bottle Cap

3. Wine Cap: Since youre already using the wine bottle from number two, you might as well use the cap too to create a different circular shape.

This one creates more of a solid polka dot when dipped in paint.

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using an Ice Cube Mold

4. Ice Cube Tray: Use a rubber ice cube tray, like this one from IKEA ($2) to create a structured grid of squares for a unique look.

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using an Eraser

5. Erasers: I bet you have a few erasers in your junk drawer from back to school, so this one should be a piece of cake. The rectangular shape creates a really interesting pattern.

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using a Plastic Fork

6. Plastic Fork: Use a plastic fork, to create abstract hatch marks. Just dip the fork into a little bit of paint and stamp away.

DIY Holiday Gift Wrap // Using a Mini Bundt Cake Tin

7. Mini Bundt Cake Tins: Make mini wreath patterns with tiny bundt cake tins. Definitely worth trying this one if youre feeling especially festive.

Before anyone panics about me putting acrylic paint on vintage bundt tins, I should probably mention that the tins were completely unusable to me for baking. The inside was super rusty (I bought them at a garage sale years ago to use for props), so they were already ruined. Just FYI. :)

In case you are wondering, I used thin sheets of handmade paper to make wrapping each gift the easiest possible. Some of those super thick papers are tough to wrap with. And actually, the thinner papers are so forgiving when it comes to wrapping packages, you can even wrap something oddly shaped like a wine bottle. Bonus! Perfect hostess gift.

Wrapping difficult objects for the holidays

The inspiration”¦Im still loving the shibori trend, so I stuck with papers in rich blues and stamped with only white paint, which gives each present a more wintery vibe. It was only after I was finished with all the stamping that I realized that this wrapping paper would work for both Christmas AND Hanukkah. So nobody is left out on this one. Yay!

Add a couple of evergreen sprigs (if youre wrapping Christmas presents), to up the festive factor, and youre good to go.

7 Ways to Stamp Gift Wrap for the Holidays

7 Ways to Stamp Gift Wrap for the Holidays

Photography Sarah Eddy // Concept and styling Brittni Mehlhoff

So what do you think? Do you have a favorite pattern from this list of seven that you want to try out for the holidays this year?

This post is in partnership with Seven Daughters Wine. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible.

This is so clever! I’ve been making fun stamped wrapping paper for awhile now, but have mainly stuck to the traditional stamp or diy-ing my own stamp, but I never thought to use regular items like a Popsicle stick. I need to make more wrapping paper for the holidays and will definitely be trying some new “stamps” I saw here!

Meesh | December 2nd, 2014 at 11:39 am

Awesome. I’d love to see a pic if you end up trying these wrapping paper ideas, Meesh.

Brittni | December 2nd, 2014 at 12:00 pm

So, SO good Brittni! I love all of the patterns, but the popsicle stick one might just be my favorite :)
Rachel | The Crafted Life recently posted..Holiday Gift Guide: 6 Craft Books for the Maker

Rachel | The Crafted Life | December 2nd, 2014 at 12:49 pm

I’m with you on the popsicle stick one, Rachel. Anything with popsicles is something I’m partial to.

Brittni | December 2nd, 2014 at 1:00 pm

This is so creative Brittni! The mini bundt pan is definitely my favorite. That and the wine bottle. Too fun!
Leah / Freutcake recently posted..Festive Birch Log Candle Pillars

Leah / Freutcake | December 2nd, 2014 at 1:40 pm

Aw, thanks Leah.

Brittni | December 2nd, 2014 at 3:34 pm

Thank you! I’ve been thinking how to make some personal packages for my christmas gifts and because of you, my problem is solved 😀 I think I can find every of those items from my home.

Iida-Emilia | December 2nd, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Oh good! Glad to hear that, Iida.

Brittni | December 2nd, 2014 at 4:31 pm

This is genius! I’m going to have to try some of these!
London Mckenzie recently posted..The Blogger Programme Goodies!

London Mckenzie | December 2nd, 2014 at 5:55 pm

This is way too cute! I always love the patterned paper but never know where to get it. Maybe I’ll make my own this year 😉
Miss Elizabeth Jane recently posted..Gift Guide For the Men in Your Life

Miss Elizabeth Jane | December 2nd, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Wowza! Such beautiful prints. I’d pay for paper this pretty!
Jamie recently posted..Pom Pom Cookies

Jamie | December 2nd, 2014 at 9:16 pm

Love these ideas! I reused paper bags this year :)
Brittany recently posted..Holiday Hacks

Brittany | December 2nd, 2014 at 9:52 pm

What a great idea! So creative and cute – I will definitely try this.
Sarah @ Bonjoursucre recently posted..Oat Slice

Sarah @ Bonjoursucre | December 2nd, 2014 at 10:23 pm

What a great idea, thanks for sharing! I’m always trying to find unique ways to wrap presents and these are perfect.

Juliana | December 2nd, 2014 at 10:24 pm

I love the wreath design from the vintage bundt pans. I also think this technique would look cute painted on fabrics.

Beth K | December 3rd, 2014 at 12:01 am

Where do you get the paper in the first place? That’s what I struggle with the most. I’m usually trying to wrap last-minute and don’t have time to pop off to the store for paper.
Laura recently posted..Taking on the CEO Role: Monthly Reviews

Laura | December 3rd, 2014 at 5:49 pm

[…] Make some really fun, patterned gift wrap with items around the house with this clever how to from Paper & […]

Quick Picks : 12.4.14 | Paper Crave | December 4th, 2014 at 9:26 am

Wow this DIY is just great. So simple and yet so creative! This is the perfect craft to do with the kids, I know they’ll just love it. xx

Hope | December 6th, 2014 at 7:22 pm

You are a genius.
Marlene @ Jade and Fern recently posted..Playlist — Volume 5: Love Songs

Marlene @ Jade and Fern | December 17th, 2014 at 12:24 pm

[…] & Stitch came up with SEVEN simple ways to stamp your own wrapping paper, using common household objects. The results look like something you would buy for crazy monies at […]

Make it Friday: Last Chance Holiday DIYs Jade and Fern | December 19th, 2014 at 3:41 pm

[…] 2 // 3 // 4 // 5 // 6 // 7 // 8 // […]

I Love Gift Wrapping! | The Friday Rejoicer | December 26th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Very great idea ! I’m going to share your post on my french blog ! 😉

Amayalady | February 21st, 2015 at 6:09 pm

[…] Stamped patterned gift wrap by Paper & Stitch […]

We Are Scout | HUNTING. GATHERING. MAKING. THE GOOD STUFF. | March 1st, 2015 at 9:44 am