31 Days of Color: Office Makeover Reveal

Modern Office Makeover

One of the best rooms in our entire home is the office upstairs. It’s kind of a small space, but it has a big wall of windows that let in a ton of natural light, which more than makes up for the size.

And while I loved the white walls and minimal vibe when we moved in, after being here a few months I was starting to feel like I needed to actually DO something, since I spend so much time in this space. Four months after we moved in, all I had in the entire room was my desk, an office chair, and a second random chair that was basically just being stored.

So, in conjunction with Ace Hardware’s 31 Days of Color campaign, I’ve finally checked that to do off of my list with an office makeover that I absolutely love. I am so happy with how it turned out that I actually enjoy responding to emails now! I’m sure that feeling won’t last forever, but hey, I’ll take what I can get.

Mid Century Modern Office Makeover

More about 31 Days of Color: During the month of March, Ace Hardware will be helping consumers discover a new love for color through a month-long interactive paint experience called 31 Days of Color, which can be found at ThePaintStudio.com.

Everyday, Ace will unveil a new “Color of the Day” selected from their exclusive Valspar and Clark+Kensington paint lines, and will be giving away free samples to the first 1,000 online entrants as well. PLUS you can enter the 31 Days of Color Sweepstakes daily for a chance to win a $10,000 paint makeover and daily $50 gift cards! So, be sure to check out ThePaintStudio.com to enter.

Today’s color of the day is Warm Breezes, which just so happens to be the color that I painted my office. So, let’s get to it and take a look at what my office space looked like before, to give you a better idea of how far it’s come.

Here’s what the space looked like before…

Before // Office Makeover

Before // Office Makeover

That truly is what it looked like before. The top photo is how the room looked the day before we painted. The second before photo is what it looked like when we moved in. So yeah, not much changed after we moved in, other than adding my desk. Which is why I really needed to get this makeover in gear.

Before // Office Makeover

Paint time! To add an interesting design element, I decided to paint a half wall that spanned the entire room, instead of painting all of the walls from floor to ceiling.

I also felt like this would be a good way for me to dip my toes in the color pool while still holding onto the clean white walls in a way. Best of both worlds, kind of thing.

I chose Valspar Optimus Paint (available at Ace Hardware) in Warm Breezes, which is a pretty greyish blue color. I used a flat finish to keep things looking matte and modern.

Before and After // Modern Office Reveal

I absolutely love how the color turned out. I remember being a little nervous about it when I started painting because I’ve always loved white walls. But the blue adds a lot of dimension to the space and painting just the bottom half of the wall makes the room feel more intentional / grounded. Don’t you think?

Once the painting was done, I pulled the room together with some antique finds, artwork, and accessories. I ended up buying a decent amount of new items to bring in. So I could find things that complimented the wall color. Vintage fiberglass mauve chair, I’m talking to you! That was one of my favorite finds for the space.

Paint Color Inspiration // Warm Breezes from Valspar

31 Days of Color // Office Makeover

How much paint did it take? I had originally thought I would need two gallons of paint for the space, just to be on the safe side. Luckily, I mentioned that to the paint guy at Ace Hardware, while I was picking out the color and he assured me I wouldn’t need more than one gallon. So I took his word for it, and I’m so glad I did. I only used about 1/3 of a gallon because it covered so well. One gallon will cover 400 square feet depending on surface porosity.

AND it didn’t have a strong paint smell because it’s a low odor, zero VOC formula. I don’t have any doors in the office that I can close to keep the paint fumes from smelling up the whole house, so I was really pumped about that.

Mood Board Inspiration Inspiration Board

Details! Closest to my desk, I put up a mini inspiration board. I found it easiest to just tape stuff right to the wall, instead of bothering with a cork board, clipboards, etc. But I also have a couple of nails to hang things I use everyday, like scissors and a ruler.

My Nelson desk I’ve had for years (it was a birthday present from Jeff), but I have to say, it’s never fit a space as well as it does this one. I filled every nook and cranny with things I use everyday and/or things I want to look at everyday.

Desk Details // A Creative, Modern Workspace Makeover

A wicker fire hydrant basket becomes a quirky trash can in this colorful modern workspace.

I made that ‘Keep Going’ art piece a few weeks ago (tutorial here) and added a few other decorative pieces that I love, along with a plant and clock to keep me on task.

Next to my desk, is my trash can. I may be completely crazy for this (haven’t decided), but I found that fire hydrant basket at a local store, Paris on Ponce. And yes, I am using it as a trash can, not as a storage container for Luna’s dog toys. Am I crazy for loving this? Let me know if I’ve fallen off the deep end.

Before and After // Modern Office Reveal

Seating Area // Brittni Mehlhoff's Office Makeover

modern-mid-century-office-makeover-after-18

I moved my DIY blanket ladder up into the office from the living room because it fills the space a little bit better. And found that mauve fiberglass chair at an antique store right around the corner from my house. The side table / plant stand is a stool from Ikea that I repainted.

Before and After // Modern Office Reveal

Modern Office Makeover

Artsy, Modern Office Makeover Reveal

A few more details… To cover up a couple of very strangely placed outlets, I strategically added some smaller pieces of artwork. You can see in the before shot before how many outlets there were that needed to be hidden. And the two larger pieces in the space (the horizontal sticks and the vertical abstract piece) are by Katie Ridley Murphy. I bought each piece separately at a different place, only to realize later, they were both from the same artist. So clearly, I love her work.

To finish the wall heading downstairs, I decided to create an abstract arrow, that points toward the artwork. It ended up being a good way to break up the space, defining my office / separating it from the stairway.

Before and After // Modern Office Reveal

Office Makeover Reveal

So, that’s the makeover in a nutshell. Here are a couple more photos for good measure…

Creative Office Makeover

Before and After // Modern Office Reveal

Brittni Mehlhoff's Colorful Modern Workspace

Modern Office Makeover

Brittni Mehlhoff's Studio Makeover

Colorful Modern Office Makeover

Phew! You made it to the end. Lots of photos to look through. So…what do you think of my new office? Love it or hate it, I’d love to know either way.

After Photos by Kimberly Murray / Styling and Before Photos by Brittni Mehlhoff

valspar_logo_pms4311This post is in partnership with Valspar… I’m really excited to be working on a series of paint posts with them throughout the year. So expect to see more makeover stories (big and small), DIYs, and more. Can’t wait to share what I’m working on. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Paper & Stitch running.

Oh my gosh. B! I love it. Such a beautiful space, and it’s so you! What a fun and inspiring space to work in!
Lexy | PROPER recently posted..DIY Painted Magnet Board

Lexy | PROPER | March 20th, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Aw, thanks Lex! I really appreciate that.

Brittni | March 20th, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Oh wow – what a stunning detail! I adore the color and the half-wall effect! I’m especially in love with the geometric way you ended it at the stairs! Just gorgeous!

Brynne@TheGatheredHome | March 20th, 2015 at 12:37 pm

LOVE the color! It looks fantastic.
Amy Anderson recently posted..Gold confetti dipped Easter eggs

Amy Anderson | March 20th, 2015 at 12:58 pm

That’s such a pretty shade of blue! Your space turned out so nice, and I love the arrow detail by the stairs. Great job!
Casey recently posted..Shop Update: Doxie Fabric, Mod Home Collection, & Rubber Stamps

Casey | March 20th, 2015 at 1:06 pm

What a great budget project! I love the blue you chose – really brightens up the space and gives it an interesting element!

xo Rachel
Rachel from Rose Tinted Home recently posted..Favorite Finds Friday

Rachel from Rose Tinted Home | March 20th, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I love this color! So much so that I think I’ll repaint my kitchen with it. I’ve been looking for that “perfect” color to go with the rest of the house, and I think this is it! Your office looks incredible – light and airy, definitely a room to spend time in. Thanks for sharing!

Tristen | March 20th, 2015 at 1:19 pm

This is great! You’ve added awesome colour while still somehow keeping all the goodness of a bright white room. Love it!
Stephanie recently posted..3 Etsy alternatives

Stephanie | March 20th, 2015 at 1:23 pm

The room looks lovely now! I do really love white walls and can’t really deal with colours for too long but I like how it all comes together nicely here and that you haven’t painted the whole wall. My favourite thing is that you chose an arrow to finish it, it looks so much more put together!
By the way, that’s a strelitzia, isn’t it? It’s huge, mine looks tiny in comparison and I’ve been so proud of how much it has grown!
darjeelingtealeaves recently posted..An Analogue Glimpse of London

darjeelingtealeaves | March 20th, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Lovely pictures! Whaw!!

Door | March 20th, 2015 at 3:09 pm

gorgeous! what a fabulous space and LOVE the walls!

cassie @ primitive & proper | March 20th, 2015 at 3:35 pm

The colour looks gorgeous! Such a lovely change :)

Nina xo | Little Pink Cactus
Nina recently posted..Hand Lettering

Nina | March 20th, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Oh my gosh I love this!!! Your office is GORGEOUS. I liked it before the makeover, but after, it’s just so relaxing and comfortable. REALLY adore that blue.

Allie | March 20th, 2015 at 8:24 pm

oh I love your office! Especially how you transitioned it into the staircase. My office is in our bedroom and this inspires me to paint part of the wall another colour to define the space!

Sarah | March 21st, 2015 at 10:54 am

This is lovely. I adore the colour and the cute accessories what a great space to work in. :)

Sofia Garcês | March 21st, 2015 at 4:54 pm

What a fresh makeover! I love the paint stripe and the end detail. I think the addition of the recycle blanket ladder is also the perfect accessory. Thank you for sharing.

Letisha Perry | March 21st, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I absolutely love how this turned out- I’ve always been partial to greyed lavender paint colors, but didn’t know if I’d be as crazy about a greyed blue. This makeover totally changed my mind! I love the paint-shape detail near the stairs- everything just turned out really sharp! Thanks for sharing.

xo Mary
Mostly Salty Blog
Mary recently posted..spring makeup report: no-makeup makeup

Mary | March 21st, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Girl, this space is UNREAL. So, so gorgeous. I love that you painted just the tip of the railing too. Perfect :)
Rachel | The Crafted Life recently posted..On a personal note

Rachel | The Crafted Life | March 21st, 2015 at 10:58 pm

fire hydrant basket, yes, a little crazy (friendly wink). vintage fiberglass mauve chair, totally uncrazy!
space looks completely hip and serene! Thanks for the read.
sharon / theprincipledtype.blogspot.com recently posted..BIG DRESSES, MEN, AND WOMEN

sharon / theprincipledtype.blogspot.com | March 21st, 2015 at 11:01 pm

Wow! I love this! It’s cute, fun, inventive and stylish. Awesome!

Poppy | March 22nd, 2015 at 4:15 pm

It looks absolutely amazing! I love that color blue with all of your pale pink accents!
Kevin | Thou Swell recently posted..SPRING FORWARD, GIVE BACK WITH CARE.ORG

Kevin | Thou Swell | March 22nd, 2015 at 11:52 pm

I am insanely obsessed with this! The painted arrow?! So brilliant. And that photo of you is just gorge.
Chelsea Foy recently posted..Easter Brunch Idea // Edible Flower Waffles

Chelsea Foy | March 23rd, 2015 at 12:32 pm

I’d like to live in your office!!

Sere | March 25th, 2015 at 2:40 pm

[…] times when you definitely shouldn’t procrastinate. Pop the champagne! New summer sunnies? This office makeover is so. good. The inside of my brain is a joke these days. I need to work on my […]

This Week + Flowers Galore - Lovely Indeed | March 27th, 2015 at 7:07 am

Such an inspirational space! I love how you painted the walls.

I could totally work here. Thank you for sharing!

sarah | March 29th, 2015 at 2:09 pm

if loving your fire hydrant basket means falling off the deep end then I’ve surely fallen off the edge too!

katie | March 31st, 2015 at 12:46 pm

[…] So, as a quick exercise, I thought I’d share my current inspiration board and how it’s changed, even from just a few weeks ago. […]

Pastel Inspiration Boards + 30 Second DIY Hardware Store Hack | Paper and Stitch | April 14th, 2015 at 8:00 am

[…] 10. Big leaves in the office […]

Plant One on Me: 12 Plant-Filled Interiors | Paper and Stitch | April 16th, 2015 at 8:00 am

[…] A creative space is made even more colorful with a half and half mix of light blue and white. Spotted on Paper & Stitch. […]

Half & Half: 10 Examples of the Easy Paint Job That Makes Every Room Look Good | Trend Inside | May 1st, 2015 at 11:35 am

[…] 1 – 2 – 3 – […]

Simplichique » Blog Archive {Alerta de Tendência} Meia pintura | June 1st, 2015 at 4:35 pm

[…] My color blocked office […]

Amazing Interiors with Beautiful Natural LightPaper and Stitch | September 10th, 2015 at 8:00 am

[…] image credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 […]

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T » WEEKEND AT HOME / 36 | October 14th, 2016 at 3:42 pm

[…] Fuente imagen (y ademas el paso a paso!) […]

S.O.S: Cómo pintar una pared interior? - Lule Alma Blog | November 24th, 2016 at 5:30 pm