5 Minute DIY: How to Make a Mini Jewelry Dish with a Box Lid

5 Minute DIY // How to Make a Mini Jewelry Dish with a Box Lid

Remember those kraft boxes I used last week for that DIY hanging planter project? Well, I saved the lids so I could create these DIY jewelry dishes. And I wanted to share the super quick tutorial.

You only need two supplies for this project: kraft box lids and gloss enamel paint. That’s it. You don’t even need a paint brush!

Want to make your own? Here’s how…

Supplies for Jewelry Dish

Supplies: small kraft box lids (available at crafts stores in the paper mache crafts aisle) and gloss enamel paint

How To:

1. To make your own jewelry and trinket dishes, squirt glass enamel paint into the lid of a kraft box. I used three different colors to create a colorful abstract design.

2. Then, tip the lid over on it’s side and start gently taping the lid on a flat surface. This will move the paint around and give it a haphazard design.

Note: Don’t be afraid to use a decent amount of paint for each dish. Using a little more paint than necessary will soften the edges of the lid and make it appear more dish than lid. Plus, it’s fun to have a bunch of paint to move around the interior and exterior.

3. Continue this process until the entire lid is covered in paint (sides and all). Then, wait for the paint to dry overnight before using. That’s it!

5 Minute DIY // How to Make a Mini Jewelry Dish with Two Supplies

My only complaint about the finished pieces is that I wish there was a little bit more control over the type of abstract designs created. My favorite dishes are the ones that don’t look marbled. But some of that part of the process is just luck. You get what you get, kind of.

BUT you can go back and add more paint in certain ares that you don’t like (even before it dries) and tap the sides again to move the paint around. So, if you end up with a design you’re really not crazy about, you can easily salvage it with more paint.

5 Minute DIY // How to Make a Jewelry Dish with a Box Lid

5 Minute DIY // How to Make a Jewelry Dish with a Box Lid

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

I love this idea! Ok, silly question but did you manipulate the same paint for the whole thing or did you apply new blobs to the side & back and move them around?
Melissa recently posted..BIRTHDAY WEEK: DIY birthday headbands

Melissa | April 15th, 2015 at 8:06 am

Hi Melissa. That’s not a silly question at all. I had enough paint in there on the first go to cover the interior sides as well (and then added a little more paint to the back to complete that part when it was dry on the inside). You can definitely continue adding more paint while everything is still wet, if you find you haven’t added enough to make it all the way around. It blends in seamlessly, as long as the paint is still wet. Hope that helps.

Brittni | April 15th, 2015 at 8:30 am

I love this idea!! They turned out beautiful!!
Jessica recently posted..Budget Friendly At Home Facial

Jessica | April 15th, 2015 at 8:37 am

So simple, and so cute! A definite must for me this summer I think! Thanks :)

Roisin | April 15th, 2015 at 8:52 am

Thanks Jessica and Roisin!

Brittni | April 15th, 2015 at 9:00 am

Ok. I pretty much love EVERYTHING about this project. The colors you used are beautiful. I have a ton of jewelry, so I am definitely putting this on my DIY list!
Kimberly recently posted..Cinnamon Sugar Chocolate Croissants | Recipe Testing

Kimberly | April 15th, 2015 at 9:38 am

Aw, thanks Kimberly! Let me know how it turns out, if you give these a try.

Brittni | April 15th, 2015 at 10:35 am

LOVE this Brittni! I want to make so many of them!
Brittany recently posted..DIY room to room: ladders

Brittany | April 15th, 2015 at 11:38 am

These look really pretty and it’s great that they’re so simple!

Wishuponthatstarx.blogspot.co.uk
Jasmine recently posted..That Type Of Person

Jasmine | April 15th, 2015 at 11:57 am

Loving this DIY I definitely want to make these for my bedside table!

Paige
Paige recently posted..20 Things to do in Atlanta with Kids

Paige | April 15th, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Ahhhh so good! I love these!
Chelsea Foy recently posted..Dreaming of Wallpaper

Chelsea Foy | April 15th, 2015 at 1:21 pm

So cute – love it! 😀

Amy | April 15th, 2015 at 7:50 pm

now we love to tidy up (our jewelry)

thanks! this is so cute
Patricia recently posted..Hello spring in Mainz

Patricia | April 19th, 2015 at 1:25 pm

[…] Mini Jewelry Dish […]

Best DIY Projects for Your Home | April 21st, 2015 at 11:09 am

[…] – What to do with all of those box lids! […]

Friday Links! - The Crafted Life | April 24th, 2015 at 3:47 am

[…] 2. Colorful DIY jewelry dish in 5 minutes […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend | Paper and Stitch | April 24th, 2015 at 8:01 am

What a beautiful idea! I have a few random mini boxes that I’ve saved–this would be a great way to repurpose them. :) Pinning & Sharing!
Jennie @ Little Girl Designs recently posted..Make a Heart Envelope and Star Bunting

Jennie @ Little Girl Designs | April 24th, 2015 at 9:37 am

Wow, how clever! Perfect for a hoarder like me, ha! Definitely going to give this a go with some of my old gift boxes. 😉

Cheryl | April 25th, 2015 at 11:13 pm

[…] | Watercolor Mug from Poppytalk 2 | Mini Jewelry Dish from Paper + Stitch 3 | DIY Leaf Art from Monsters Circus 4 | Flower Crowns from Lauren Conrad 5 | Crystal Gem […]

DIY | Pinterest Projects I Love right now | April 2015 | MIAMI Rose | April 29th, 2015 at 2:42 pm

[…] the time.  So, from now on, I’m going to give them a go.  Starting with this one…Mini Jewellery Dish made out of a box lid.  {See Katy, I did do something with my Chrismas Prezzie…well, the lids […]

They said it would be easy…DIY Mini Jewellery Dish | mascara & mud | April 29th, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Loved it so much, I had a go myself!

Cerys | April 29th, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Looks awesome, Cerys. Love the way the nail polish turned out.

Brittni | April 30th, 2015 at 11:39 am

Love the jewelry box top paint so cool. Great idea.

Cheryl Johnosn | May 7th, 2015 at 8:50 pm

this is really a beautiful idea and comes in so handy and easy to make.
just make sure the pait is completely dry before you take it to use.some corrosive paints can harm your favourite jewellery.

saurabh jain | July 2nd, 2015 at 1:35 am

Hi, I love this idea! but I don’t have any of those kind of box lids do you have any idea of other things that i could use as the lid? Thanks! – Sarah :)

Sarah | July 11th, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Hi would you be able to recommend another type of paint that i could use? acrylic paint etc. I’ve never heard of gloss enamel!

Annah | September 3rd, 2015 at 10:54 pm

Can I do this with ceramic as well and use the same kind of paint?

Alana | February 2nd, 2016 at 9:59 pm

I can’t say for sure, since I’ve never tried it. But I would imagine it would work, as long as the surface isn’t slick.

Brittni | February 3rd, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Hi Annah. Gloss enamels are fairly easy to come by…You can purchase them on Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1o6iejU I imagine you could try acrylic instead, but I’m not as confident that it would set up properly, considering the thickness of the paint layers. Hope that helps.

Brittni | February 3rd, 2016 at 12:03 pm

Hi Brittni
I absolutely love this blog post! I was wondering if it would be ok to use on my website for inspiration (it is a jewelry site) if I make sure to credit you and add a link to your blog?

Best wishes
Stine

S. | February 9th, 2016 at 8:58 am

Hi S. If you only use one photo (of the finished project) and link back to me, I’m happy to give you permission. :) Thanks for asking.

Brittni | February 9th, 2016 at 10:31 am

[…] I know I just posted a DIY project, but guys this is amazing! I’m always looking for cute little jewelry dishes (anyone else?), but I find that […]

link love | Mimosas & Pumps | February 19th, 2016 at 7:14 am