Flower Power: How to Create a Colorful DIY Spring Bouquet

How to create a simple spring bouquet

Because flowers and spring go hand and hand, I’m sharing a tutorial for how to make spring (and Easter) centerpieces today!

I made a TON of arrangements for the spring brunch we threw last week, so I created a breakdown of all the flowers used, general flower care, and how to put everything together in an arrangement pretty painlessly.

How to create a simple spring bouquet

How to create a simple spring bouquet for Easter and beyond

How to create a simple spring bouquet

Floral arrangements for spring

Flower Breakdown:

All of the flowers were generously sent to me by the awesome folks at Flower Muse. I use them all the time for events and DIY projects and highly recommend them. Here are the types of flowers I included for spring brunch arrangements in the photos…

How to create a colorful spring bouquet

Flower Care:

Flower care is a little different depending on the types of flowers you’re dealing with. But the basic rule is…

Cut 1/2 to 1 inch off the bottom of each stem (at a diagonal to maximize water intake) with the sharpest shears you can find. Remove leaves/foliage before placing them in buckets filled with 3–4 inches of room temp water. If possible, separate flowers into different buckets, based on flower type. And keep flowers in a cool area away from direct sunlight until you are ready to use them. More flower care and handling instructions here.

How to create a colorful spring bouquet

Instructions for Creating Floral Arrangements:

For shorter arrangements that would go on a table top, like the ones in the photos, I like to start with a handful of larger blooms (garden roses and peonies) and then work my way down to the medium to small size blooms (ranunculus and tulips) and add greenery (olive branch, lambs ear, and pittosporum) and filler (billy balls) to finish things off.

To keep all of the table arrangements roughly the same size, we used vases that were similar in height and diameter and came up with a formula for how many stems were needed for each arrangement (which ended up being somewhere between 14 and 18 stems per vase).

How to create a colorful spring bouquet

DIY // How to create a colorful spring bouquet

How to create a colorful spring bouquet

How to create a colorful spring bouquet for Easter and beyond

Photography by Amelia Tatnall
Flowers by Brittni Mehlhoff

Are you as excited about spring as I am? And more importantly…What is your all time favorite type of flower or flowers? I’d love to know!

David Austin Roses!
Love them, their perfume, the layers, the color.
I used them in my daughter’s bouquet for her wedding last year, beautiful and a great cut flower!

Theresa | March 23rd, 2016 at 8:22 am

Right Theresa? Favorite kind of garden roses!

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 8:40 am

These bouquets are simply stunning, I’m a huge fan of ranunculus and tulips, and the peonies are beautiful as well. I love how you combined the different sizes and forms of the flowers so that they compliment each other really well!
Michelle recently posted..Egg Centrepiece

Michelle | March 23rd, 2016 at 8:49 am

Thanks Michelle. Flowers are my favorite kind of DIY!

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 9:00 am

These are such beautiful arrangements! I just recently went to a bunch of floral shops in Toronto and wanted everything they sold! I would love to make a bouquet like this soon for my grandmothers birthday. Thanks for the inspiration!
Tess recently posted..6 Unique Succulent Planter Ideas

Tess | March 23rd, 2016 at 9:19 am

Thanks Tess. One of these arrangements would be perfect for birthdays.

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 10:22 am

Wow! This is surprisingly wayyy easier than I thought! Love it and definitely trying it out cause it’s Spring and we’re all loving the color <3

Rabecca/ http://www.midnightburnout.com
Rabecca recently posted..Peachy Rogue: A Spring Dress Worth Blushing Over

Rabecca | March 23rd, 2016 at 10:54 am

Awesome Rabecca. Happy to hear that.

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 11:00 am

These are so spectacular! You make this look so easy! I fear that I would end up with some very wonky dead flowers if I tried to do something like this.
Sierra @ Happy Curious Life recently posted..How to Fall Asleep Fast and Stay Asleep

Sierra @ Happy Curious Life | March 23rd, 2016 at 12:30 pm

Haha. I think you’d find it to be easier than it may seem, Sierra. Pinkie promise. 🙂

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 1:00 pm

You make putting together a floral arrangement look so easy! I love flowers in the Spring, but am so bad at making a bouquet. I’ll have to revisit this post often throughout the season.

-Helen

Helen | March 23rd, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Give it a try, Helen. You might surprise yourself with how easy it can be. 🙂

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Love the colors and all of the different types of flowers you used! So beautiful and bright!
Eden Passante recently posted..Mad Sugar Ranch Before Photos

Eden Passante | March 23rd, 2016 at 8:20 pm

Thanks Eden!

Brittni | March 23rd, 2016 at 11:47 pm

Love your arrangement!
I love tulips because they are our national flower, I love ranununculus because of their layers of papery petals, I love poppies because they are se airy and light. I could go on and on 😉
Pauline recently posted..DIY pressed flower Easter eggs

Pauline | March 24th, 2016 at 6:15 am

[…] Flower Power: How to Create a Colorful DIY Spring Bouquet from Paper & Stitch – These arrangements are gorgeous! I love all the spring colors. Flower arranging has always kinda intimidated me, but maybe with this post as a guide I can create something pretty! (I don’t know if you remember this post from last year, but I have never actually put flowers in the vases Draz and I made!) […]

Friday Favorites: The Links I Love - March 25, 2016 - Nymph In The Woods | March 25th, 2016 at 11:05 am

[…] 1: DIY Spring Bouquet | Pistachio Pear Ice Cream | Row 2: DIY Makeup Organizer | Row 3: Chai Tea Popsicles | DIY Lettered […]

Loving Paper & Stitch - The Sweetest Occasion — The Sweetest Occasion | March 29th, 2016 at 8:48 am