Back when I made the DIY floor rug, one of the most frequently asked questions I received was how to make it colorful. And today’s DIY started out as a solution to that… and then turned into an entirely new DIY. I made a hanging piece of wall art that mimics a weaving, in a fraction of the time and without any special weaving equipment. So, I’m calling this one a wall art weaving hack.
Bonus! I’m giving away $200 worth of supplies so you can make your own too. Click through for the details.
This time, I used Peruvian wool yarn from We Are Knitters (instead of cotton piping) and the results are colorful, thick, and super soft. WAK was kind enough to send me their amazing yarn to play around with. And it worked great for the weaving. Be sure to enter the giveaway at the end of this post for a $200 gift card to We Are Knitters to try it for yourself.
Here’s what you’ll need for my DIY weaving hack…
- thick wool yarn (mine if Peruvian wool yarn from We Are Knitters)
- multi-use netting (I used this exact one and cut it down to 12 x 24)
- wood dowel (if desired)
Things to note for this project: I used between 3 and 4 skeins of yarn for a 12 x 24 inch weaving (each skein was 87 yards). And from start to finish, the project took about 2 hours to complete.
1. Start by wrapping the yarn around the width of 3 fingers, as shown, until you’ve gone all the way around at least 8 or 9 times. Then cut the end of the yarn away from the skein.
2. Next, remove the yarn from your fingertips and insert one end of the loops through one of the boxes of the netting, as shown.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 until entire netting is covered. Note: Every so often, I changed up the yarn colored I used and/or direction of how I added new yarn pieces (I would do a few horizontally and then some vertically and then switch back to horizontal again, etc).
5. Attach wooden dowel approximately the same length as your weaving, if desired, with yarn. Add a another piece of yarn to hang the weaving from and it’s ready to hang.
Want to win a $200 gift card to We Are Knitters to recreate this DIY (or any other project you’re into) on your own?
All you have to do to enter is follow me on Instagram AND leave a comment on this Instagram post telling me what creative projects you’re hoping to work on this year. That’s it! And for a second entry, tag a friend (in a new comment). I’ll announce the winner at the end of the week on that IG post. Good luck! Head to this Instagram post to enter.