How to Make a Large-Scale Rug from Scratch

This post is an advertisement by Cotton.

How to make a large-scale rug from scratch. This would be a great winter project - looks so cozy.

After my DIY weaving project I felt like I needed another challenge, so I decided to tackle another large-scale project that’s been on my list…a DIY rug from scratch! I desperately needed a new rug and I tirelessly searched for one that I absolutely loved (that was also budget-friendly). Sadly, I apparently have very expensive taste because every rug I found that would work was WAY outside the range of what my wallet felt like it could handle.

So, like any DIYer, I decided to make one myself, using cotton piping. It was definitely a labor of love (as I’m sure you can imagine making a giant rug by hand would be), but I really like how it turned out. And it is just in time for the weather to start cooling down because this thing is as cozy as it comes…It’s like walking on clouds! Super fluffy and plush.

Getting ready for winter with this cozy cool setup, featuring a DIY cotton rug, a Nelson bench as a coffee table, and more. Click through for more photos and the full tutorial for making a large-scale rug from scratch.

This technique can be used for a runner, a small rug in the kitchen or bathroom, or even a larger rug for seating areas like mine. Want to make your own cotton rug like this one? Click through for the step by step instructions…

How to make a large-scale rug from scratch

Materials

• Multi-use netting (I used this exact one)
  • Cotton piping* (available on Amazon + fabric / craft stores)
  • Small rubber bands (like the small ones you can find in the hair aisle)
  • Scissors

*Cotton piping is available in various thicknesses (ranging from 1/8 inch up to 1 inch and more) and any thickness will work for this project. But the thicker the piping, the faster the DIY process will be (and the less yards you will need to use to complete it).

Instructions

1. Determine what length you’d like your rug to be. In my case, I wanted a 5×8 rug for underneath the couch. My roll of netting is smaller than that, so I did some quick math to determine how many pieces I would need to cut to make a 5X8 rug (3 pieces that are 8 feet long, since the netting is 2 feet wide), and I would have an extra foot leftover from the width, that I could cut off of the mesh before getting started, etc.

Once you have that figured out, roll out the length of the netting you need and cut the pieces with a pair of scissors.

2. Next, start cutting pieces of cotton piping that are about 4 inches long (each). You want them all to be roughly the same length, so that the rug looks relatively even when its completed, while also having a little bit of variation, so you can more of a textured feel that looks handmade (and not manufactured).

Note: Depending on the size of your rug, you’re going to need a lot more cotton piping than you might expect. To give you a better idea of what I’m talking about…we used more than 200 yards of cotton piping for an 5×8 rug. That’s a lot of cotton! But cotton piping is pretty affordable, so it’s still relatively budget-friendly, when you consider the cost of a thick handmade rug like this one would cost thousands of dollars to purchase in store. The cost of materials for a 5×8 rug totaled about $300.

Amazing tutorial for how to make a large-scale rug from scratch. It's over 6 feet long!

3. Next, weave the cut cotton pieces in between the netting grid, as shown in the photo. Then, pull the pieces upward and tie them together with a rubber band (again, as shown in the photo). Once secured with a rubber band, fluff out the piping pieces so they have more of a fuzzy pom-pom shape.

4. Repeat steps #2 and #3 until you’ve completely covered the netting pieces you cut in step #1.

5. Now it’s time to assemble the pieces into one single unit. This may not apply if you’re making a small rug or a runner. The process is the pretty much the same as step #3, but this time, you’ll be weaving pieces though the ends of each separate piece of mesh to bring them together as one. Securing them together in the ‘pom-pom form’ (for lack of a better term) with rubber bands, and fluffing them out once secure.

6. Repeat this process along the edge of all pieces that need to be joined together until completed. Done!

How to make a large-scale rug from scratch

I’ll be the first to admit, the process is time-consuming. I’m not going to lie. BUT the results are really pretty cool, if you ask me. And literally ANYONE at any skill level can make one, as long as you have the patience to stick it out. The process is SUPER easy. It’d be a good nightly ritual while sitting down to watch a movie, etc. Kind of like knitting…slowly plugging away at a project a couple of hours a night until it’s done.

And when it’s done, you have an actual rug to show for it. That you made yourself! How many people can say that that they made a rug?!

Getting ready for winter with this cozy, but minimal setup. Click through for more photos and the full tutorial for making a large-scale rug from scratch. #DIY #interiors

How to make a large-scale rug from scratch. #DIY

Photography Amelia Tatnall Lawrence
Styling Brittni Mehlhoff

What do you think? Would you be interested in trying this project in your home? Have you ever attempted rug making before?

This post is in partnership with Cotton and Refinery 29. All opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help keep Paper & Stitch running.

Wow, that must have been so much work, but it looks amazing!
Michelle recently posted..DIY | Chain Tassle Necklace

Michelle | September 30th, 2016 at 8:33 am

It was a lot of work, but totally worth it. Glad you like it Michelle. 🙂

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 8:35 am

I love this! I’ve always wanted to go back to hardwood floors and rip out my carpet – especially after finding out my daughter is extremely allergic to dust mites. But having hard floors seems to make living rooms so much less cozy. This would be a great solution! Plus, since you made it yourself, you can easily deconstruct parts of it if red kool-aid is spilled on it. Just get more cotton piping and replace the stained portion! Genius!
Emily recently posted..Kid Friendly Art Project – Toy Prints

Emily | September 30th, 2016 at 8:39 am

That’s a really good point, Emily. You’d be able to deconstruct parts with stains at anytime and add in new pieces to make it feel brand new again.

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 9:18 am

Wow!! I am amazed and doesn’t even look like its been made rather bought from a high-end store!
Marwa | Enthralling Gumption recently posted..DIY Pastel Crystal Backpack

Marwa | Enthralling Gumption | September 30th, 2016 at 10:01 am

Thank you so much Marwa. I feel like cotton piping is my magic craft supply rn. Every time I use it, I love the results. 🙂

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 10:07 am

B! This is amazing. I totally want to make my own now and just work on it while I binge on Netflix!
Lexy | PROPER recently posted..Make This DIY Butterfly Chair Makeover

Lexy | PROPER | September 30th, 2016 at 10:09 am

Thanks Lex. It is the perfect activity for Netflix binging. I bet Vita could even help…it’s so easy.

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 10:11 am

This definitely looks time-consuming! But it’s such an impressive finished product. I’ve been thinking of buying a rug like this, but I might have to try a smaller version of this!

Kiersten
Kiersten recently posted..Current Lipstick Collection :: The Nudes

Kiersten | September 30th, 2016 at 10:14 am

A smaller version would be easy as can be, Kiersten. Highly recommend giving it a try.

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 10:20 am

Girl. You made a RUG! That’s so amazing!
Rachel M Smith recently posted..Friday Links

Rachel M Smith | September 30th, 2016 at 10:27 am

Hahaha. Thanks Rachel. 🙂

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 12:00 pm

This is exactly what I’ve been wanting to make! I’ve been searching all over for the perfect cozy rug but couldn’t find the right one. I will definitely be trying this one!
Bree Z recently posted..Life Really Is Beautiful

Bree Z | September 30th, 2016 at 1:53 pm

So happy to hear that Bree. Hope you’ll let me know how it goes.

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 2:11 pm

This is sooo my next diy project! I’d love to try putting a pastel color on the cotton piping ?

Melissa | September 30th, 2016 at 2:38 pm

Pastel colors would look so pretty, Melissa.

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 2:51 pm

The rug looks really nice, I just do not know if I have enough patience I just might give it a try.

Lisa Ogle | September 30th, 2016 at 3:53 pm

It’s stunning. I have to ask, how long did this take?
Giselle @ The Busy Spatula recently posted..Rainbow Caprese Salad with Spicy Balsamic Glaze

Giselle @ The Busy Spatula | September 30th, 2016 at 4:39 pm

Hi Giselle. I don’t remember exactly how long it took (it was spread out over a few days) but it was somewhere around 15 hours total. It’s not a fast project, but it is easy. 🙂 Hope that helps.

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 5:00 pm

Congratulations! It’s beautiful and you have the patience of Job.

jan | September 30th, 2016 at 5:46 pm

This is such an amazing DIY project!!! Do you think it would be possible to dye the piping first before weaving it so that it could be more colorful???

Jamie | September 30th, 2016 at 8:49 pm

Hi Jamie. Yes, it is possible. It’s a bit more tricky to dye the piping because you’ll be showing the inside of the piping when it’s finished, not the outside (outside is the easiest to dye). But yes, it is possible. 🙂 This dyeing project might help with that, if you need any instructions on dyeing: http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2016/02/24/how-to-dye-a-synthetic-material/

Brittni | September 30th, 2016 at 9:00 pm

This is lovely. What width of the cotton piping did you use?

Lynn Dalsing | September 30th, 2016 at 11:44 pm

That looks amazing… I’m going to make it for my daughter. What is the thickness of cotton piping you used?
Thnks.

Tiki | October 1st, 2016 at 3:18 am

Hi Lynn and Tiki. I used a variety of widths, actually, but that’s not required by any means. You’ll still achieve the same result, whether you’re using 1 inch piping, 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch, etc BUT it will be faster if you use the widest cotton piping your can find – 1 inch just like this one is great http://amzn.to/2dVuPW5 when you can find it and here is a link to all the available widths of Amazon in case you want some variety…http://amzn.to/2d9w7bL . Hope that helps!

Brittni | October 1st, 2016 at 4:00 am

It looks stunning and must feel lovely, too. I do just wonder about using rubber bands, through. Won’t they deteriorate/disintegrate over time (I know they do in my kitchen!)? Might it be better to knot them through the mesh? But I love the idea of using cotton piping: I’d been looking at thick wool …

Sue | October 1st, 2016 at 5:02 am

I can’t wait to try this. Did you use 1″ piping or 1/2″ piping for the rug in the tutorial?

Ann | October 1st, 2016 at 8:42 am

Hi Ann. I used a combination of various widths. I highly recommend 1 inch when you can find it – available on Amazon http://amzn.to/2dVuPW5 and here is a link to all the available widths of Amazon in case you want some variety… http://amzn.to/2d9w7bL

Brittni | October 1st, 2016 at 10:00 am

This came out great – I’ve always been curious about weaving my own rug, and this may just have inspired me to give it a go!

Amy (@amyventures) | October 1st, 2016 at 12:07 pm

So excited to find your post! I purchased a giant “spool” of cording at a liquidation sale, not even knowing what to do with it, just knowing I had to have it. Now I know! Thank you~~

Patti Calande | October 2nd, 2016 at 9:01 am

This is fantastic!!!! Thanks so much for sharing. It does look easy, totally do-able! You did a wonderful job and must be so proud of your work! I sure am 🙂

Sue | October 2nd, 2016 at 9:06 am

What size piping did you use for your rug?

Sherry | October 2nd, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Hi Sherry. I used a combination of different widths. I highly recommend 1 inch when you can find it – available on Amazon http://amzn.to/2dVuPW5 and here is a link to all the available widths of Amazon in case you want some variety… http://amzn.to/2d9w7bL

Brittni | October 2nd, 2016 at 2:00 pm

It’s a great idea, however, as someone already commented, eventually rubber bands disintegrate and that would be a problem.
I wonder if the traditional rug-hooking method could be used. I also wonder what happens when the rug gets vacuumed. Does look stunning though!

Madelin | October 2nd, 2016 at 2:48 pm

Wow..what a great idea! The rug looks so soft and indulgent!! I would so do this if I didn’t have two Labs!!
Sharing on my Facebook page:)
Debbie

Debbie Pearl | October 3rd, 2016 at 7:53 am

Your rug looks amazing! My concern would be doing all that work and wondering how many years it would last due to the rubber bands drying out and breaking. I would have would have just looped the yarn around itself, wouldn’t that have worked and been cheaper? You wouldn’t have to buy rubber bands.

Sharon | October 3rd, 2016 at 9:04 am

Please can you tell us whether the rubber bands disintegrate? Also could you wash it, or how would you clean it?

Joan | October 3rd, 2016 at 11:37 am

Wanted to chime to answer questions… Joan, Sharon, Madelin, and Sue. Yes, overtime (years I believe), rubber bands do breakdown. There are two ways to solve this if you think it will be an issue. 1) Use cotton string as an alternative to the rubber bands for wrapping the pieces together. 2) Use rubber bands or string strictly on the outmost layers of the rug and keep the interior layers un-rubber banded (for lack of a better term). I tried this to be sure it was secure and the cotton piping does stay in place without rubber bands in the interior layers on its own because there are so many pieces pushing against one another. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Brittni | October 3rd, 2016 at 1:00 pm

This looks superb – like walking on a (or a cauliflower!) but alas I won’t be able to make one for the home as our cats would shred this to pieces. I will link this on my craft web blog as I think my readers would be really interested in making this. Great project as I have never seen any DIY rug that looks quite like this.
Rob Nesbitt recently posted..Podcast #2 Kirsty Elson – Cornish Driftwood Artist

Rob Nesbitt | October 4th, 2016 at 12:36 pm

[…] wait is over brittni’s smart DIY will have you making rug for your home( holy moly its too good ) I love a good word cushion that […]

What's enthralling this Friday #9 | Enthralling gumption | October 7th, 2016 at 9:25 am

Holy moly. This rug looks gorgeous! I LOVE it.
Oceana | M+M recently posted..8 Things You Might Not Know About Me

Oceana | M+M | October 7th, 2016 at 11:25 pm

I’m confused…. I thought SCRATCH was something you baked with. As in my mom baked the cake from scratch.
Ed recently posted..6 DIYs to Try This Weekend

Ed | October 10th, 2016 at 1:37 am

How do you clean this rug?

Dianne | October 13th, 2016 at 11:29 am

Hi Dianne. This rug can be spot cleaned with a rug cleaner and rag. I wouldn’t recommend using rug cleaning equipment on it, however, since it’s a handmade item that is a bit more delicate than a manufactured piece. Additionally, if there is an area that is stained, the section can be easily removed and replaced with new cotton piping. Hope that helps.

Brittni | October 13th, 2016 at 12:30 pm

This looks amazing! I’m a bit confused on the procedure though. How do I weave it through the net? Do I just fold it around the net and tie with rubber band and then fluff? Thanks

marischa | October 23rd, 2016 at 2:19 am

Yep, that’s exactly how you do it, Marisha. 🙂

Brittni | October 23rd, 2016 at 7:14 pm

My website is under construction so to speak. I love this technique. I am a knitter/crochet person and looking for new ideas to work with fiber so something similar like this.

My question is, do they sell cotton pipping in difference colors? I would love to design with multi colors.

Thanks
Judy

Judith Quate | November 2nd, 2016 at 11:37 am

I didn’t find any colors of cotton piping like mine when I was searching for supplies for this project, Judith. But it’d be worth looking into further. Let me know if you find anything.

Brittni | November 2nd, 2016 at 11:49 am

[…] Shag Rug […]

10 Cozy Fall DIYs The Internet Loves | agaara | November 4th, 2016 at 11:24 am

can i ask what thickness of piping you used? i love how yours turned out. this seems like a perfect pre-baby project for me!!
aline recently posted..1 year

aline | November 4th, 2016 at 11:58 am

Hi Aline. I used a combination of different widths. I highly recommend 1 inch when you can find it – available on Amazon http://amzn.to/2dVuPW5 and here is a link to all the available widths of Amazon in case you want some variety… http://amzn.to/2d9w7bL

Brittni | November 4th, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I love your project. I will definitely try it. Thank you for the simple and clear instructions. Refurbishing my lounge next year and will send photo of finished rug once in place. Hugely inspiring.

Carrol Kelly | November 5th, 2016 at 4:50 am

Can’t wait to see it, Carrol. Looking forward to it.

Brittni | November 5th, 2016 at 9:38 am

Awesome rug! Did you use any backing? Under felt? Just wondering how slippery it would be on hardwood?

Angelique | November 5th, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Hi Angelique. I didn’t use a backing and haven’t had issues with slipping (maybe our floors aren’t as shiny and slick as some?). The rug is also pretty heavy and thick, so that can be part of why there aren’t any issues with slipping. That said, you can easily use a rug pad underneath if you think that would be an issue. 🙂 Hope that helps.

Brittni | November 5th, 2016 at 12:17 pm

Great idea !!!!
Definitely will try….did you cut one big piece of mesh ?
Or did you make small squares and then binded them together ?
Did not understand that part.

Elisa Storer | November 6th, 2016 at 10:17 pm

Elisa. I had several pieces of netting that were bound together to form one large rug. I would have used just one giant piece of netting, but was limited on what I could find in stores, so I opted to attach them together once complete and it was honestly just as easy. You just follow step 5 instructions when attaching the pieces together and you’ll be good to go. 🙂 Hope that helps.

Brittni | November 6th, 2016 at 11:31 pm

How many spools of the 10lb cotton piping did you purchase to make the 8×5? Was there any cotton piping leftover? Thank you.

Mel | November 8th, 2016 at 4:28 pm

Hi, I was wondering if you purchased the 10 lb spool from Amazon, if so how many spools did you need to complete your 8×6 rug? Thank you.

Mel | November 9th, 2016 at 7:19 am

Looks lovely…can you vacuum it?

Shauna | November 12th, 2016 at 5:06 pm

Hi, I was just wondering what the ending length of cotton you used was. Thanks!

Preston | November 13th, 2016 at 12:22 am

It really is beautiful. I love that it’s handmade. My concerns would be cleaning it and the little rubber bands coming loose. (I have toddlers.) I assume you used rubber bands instead of tying them because a knot would be hard on the feet? Thanks for your insight and idea!

Lauren | November 15th, 2016 at 8:27 am

It is very beautiful but how do you clean ?

Amelia Machera | November 22nd, 2016 at 8:30 am

Oh my!!! I love this!!

Gemma

Gemma | November 24th, 2016 at 8:48 am

This is so beautiful! Just a question, how is it when you vacuum it? Does it come apart any? Thanks!!!

Juliana | November 28th, 2016 at 2:11 pm

[…] -> Llega el frío al hemisferio norte, así que esta propuesta nos viene muy, pero que  muy bien. ¡Crea tu propia alfombra peluda! […]

Ideas del mes: noviembre - Demodé | November 29th, 2016 at 4:27 am

I would also like to know how to go about cleaning this rug. I love the look!

I wonder if you could do this with wool roving instead. Thoughts?

Mandy | November 29th, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Wow I love the look of this rug ! But I do have question. Have you tried cleaning it? vacuuming it?

Erika @ EP art.food.home | December 2nd, 2016 at 12:43 pm

Your rug is beautiful. Is it pet friendly? I’m worried my dog and cats may pull it apart. Does it stand up to vacuuming?

Kelly | December 7th, 2016 at 11:32 am

Hi, I really love this idea and want to make it but I’m wondering if the elastics will eventually go hard and snap? Because every elastic band I’ve had eventually ‘dries out’ and snaps. Just wondering if you’ve experienced that yet or if you think it would work if i cut small bits of thread and knotted the cotton piping instead? I know that will be so much more time consuming though haha! Would love to hear your thoughts 🙂 thanks for a great winter project!

Megan | December 12th, 2016 at 8:59 am

I absolutely love this! Great inspiration as I’ve been looking for a budget friendly DIY rug option for our front room. Thanks!
Asiyah recently posted..For the Muslims Who Love Christmas… We’re in This Together!

Asiyah | December 15th, 2016 at 10:20 pm

How many hours did this take you?
Thanks!!
Lyndsie recently posted..December

Lyndsie | December 21st, 2016 at 4:20 pm

Hello!

Did you find that the material is durable? I am looking to make this rug over the Christmas break and I heard to use a material that has nylon in it.

Kaisha

Kai | December 22nd, 2016 at 12:30 pm

You have answered a quest of mine, long have I searched for the perfect rug for my bedroom. This is beautiful and easy to make myself. I do wonder about the bands breaking from wear and tear. Have you had that problem occur? Does batting come in colors? Might be a dumb question but…

Krister | January 3rd, 2017 at 1:58 am

J’adore ce style de travail c’est superbe !! Je ne comprends pas tres bien l’anglais mais j’essayerai de comprendre les explications. Pouvez vous m’aider ? Merci beaucoup.
Mes FELICITATIONS”

Claire Brico | January 7th, 2017 at 5:47 am

I absolutely love this rug! Would it be possible to show additional pictures of how you wrapped it around the webbing before rubberbanding it?

Sheryl | January 11th, 2017 at 9:17 am

I am in love with this! How Would you be able to do this in a different color other than white?

April | January 15th, 2017 at 9:41 pm

[…] Source […]

Top 5 Cutest DIY Projects for Your Home or Apartment – MayaLaMode | January 15th, 2017 at 10:23 pm

Can you possibly tell me what size cotton you used? I love the look and would like to duplicate it. I see where you used 200 yards, but not the diameter of the cotton itself. Thanks in advance.
Lori recently posted..17 Ways to Organize Your Life for the New Year

Lori | January 15th, 2017 at 11:22 pm

Do you have a demonstrative video of how to make this? The pictures do not show me enough or I have a hard time understanding. Ive made hook rugs before but im not sure what you are doing with the cotton piping
nicole recently posted..17 Ways to Organize Your Life for the New Year

nicole | January 16th, 2017 at 1:50 pm

What size piping did you use? The article says you used over 200 yards of piping but the size piping you decide on will dictate how much you need and how long the project takes. Just trying to plan out how much to buy. Thanks!

Rebekah | January 16th, 2017 at 11:57 pm

Amazing! Thank you for sharing your diy experienced in making your own rug! It sounds super doable!

Anny Ylles J. | January 19th, 2017 at 4:19 am

What about the deterioration of the rubber bands over time? Is there a better substitute?
Kiki recently posted..So Fresh and So Clean, Clean: 7 Tips for a Fresh Start in the New Year

Kiki | January 19th, 2017 at 9:24 pm

Hi Brittini,
Such a good work you did. I really like this idea and I’m thinking about making one for my living room.
Wich thickness did you use for your piping, please. It looks so great!

Muriel | January 21st, 2017 at 10:06 am

I am a do it yourself junky and these are the the clearest, most inclusive (sites and $) I have ever read. Thank you

ELEANOR T REYNOLDS | January 26th, 2017 at 3:45 pm

Hi,
i love the look of this and it seems like the cost is pretty cheap for a 5×8 rug.

i was wondering thoughg, have you been able to vacuum it? just curious.

i am definitely considering making this.

thanks for the idea!
cheers-
Julianna

julianna kufeldt | January 27th, 2017 at 4:03 pm

I will be trying this, but on a smaller scale for a destination trailer.
What kind of rubber bands do we use? They look small.

Joan M. Lamoureux | January 29th, 2017 at 11:25 am

Simply brilliant. Basic and beautiful too. I”m going to wait for my 50% off coupons to pick up piping though. Cant wait to get started. Thanks for the idea.

RoosMom | January 30th, 2017 at 10:00 am

I am wondering how this gorgeous rug is holding up to everyday traffic/use since it has been about 4 months since you shared with us? I am specifically curious about the rubber bands. You see…..I would love to give this a try but I have five kitties and am wondering how easily the bands break. I have one older cat who gallops across a very low pile kitchen area rug and I hear her claws snagging it. Maybe I would have to sew a few stitches in each yard piece to truly secure them. Thank you for any thoughts on this.

Dawn Nelson | February 3rd, 2017 at 3:21 pm

How are these type of rubber bands holding up? I have used them in other craft projects only to have them “dry rot” in about a year. The bands would be my only concern, and I think with all the time involved that I would want something more permanent. Also, did you treat with a stain preventative?

By the eay, the rug is gorgeous!!!

Dawn | February 8th, 2017 at 10:11 pm

Love this, thinking I’ll try a smaller one and see how it goes. I’m a crocheted, thinking about other options for the rubber and part. I wonder if you pull it through, like with the loom kits or how I put ribbon on a tag, if that would work. I think it would! Or tie with string. Really beautiful!

Julianne | February 20th, 2017 at 5:25 am

Still don’t understand how it’s cleaned—spot-cleaning, yes, but can it be vacuumed? Seems to me it would begin to ravel. Also, after a few weeks, doesn’t normal coming-and-going flatten it?

Connie Brown | February 20th, 2017 at 7:29 am

Just curious how this rug is holding up? I love the idea, but I need to make sure it’s vacuumable!

Shelby | February 20th, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Thanks so much for your questions everyone! Because of the success of this project, I’ve received an overwhelming amount of questions about this rug. So, rather than responding to them individually, I’m going to try to answer all of the questions in this one comment, so there’s a spot everyone can go back to reference for future questions, etc. 🙂

What thickness of cotton piping did I use? I used a variety of thicknesses of cotton piping because I was on a time crunch when creating the rug, so I couldn’t wait for X number of cotton piping yards to come in for the project in just one thickness. What I used was a combination of piping ranging from 3/8 inch up to 11/16 inch in diameter, but I would say 1/2 inch diameter or even 11/16 inch are probably the ideal sizes.

How much cotton piping did it take to complete this project? Because I used a variety of thicknesses, its difficult to guesstimate how many yards of piping would be needed, if you used just one thickness of piping or if you used multiple thicknesses, etc. As I mentioned in the post though, it will definitely be over 200 yards for a 5×8 rug. Other factors for how much yardage it takes would be how long you cut each piece to fold over through the mesh, whether all the pieces are roughly the same size, etc.

Can this rug be vacuumed and/or cleaned? It depends. If the individual pieces are properly secured (with rubber bands or tied together with string) then light vacuuming should be fine. But if the pieces aren’t secured and are just being held in by the force of all of the pieces being tightly pushed together (which does work by the way), you may occasionally suck up a piece in your vacuum if it’s really strong. That has not happened to me personally, but I could see how it would be a possibility. So I’m mentioning it. 🙂 It is a handmade item and should be treated with care. Hope that helps! As for cleaning, it can be spot cleaned if needed with any product that works well on cotton. And if you’re having trouble getting a stain out, you can remove any of the stained pieces, cut new ones, and replace them super easily. I’ve actually done that once before in a small spot and it worked great. Can’t even tell now.

Is the rug pet friendly? I’m not sure what constitutes pet-friendly necessarily, but I do have a cat and dog of my own and it has been fine with them. 🙂 If you have a cat who liked to knead on things, they may pull a piece up if they’re really going to town, BUT if it’s been secured with rubber bands or strings, that would be pretty unlikely.

Will the rubber bands mentioned in the steps disintegrate over time? I received a lot of questions about this one. I used small elastic hair ties (made out of TPU and/or latex), like these: http://amzn.to/2lCmh9D to secure the piping pieces for my rug. Rubber bands can break down over time (over the course of years), becoming hard or brittle and sometimes breaking at that stage. If that is something you’re worried about longterm, you can use string to wrap around and knot each piece together (in place of rubber bands) OR as another option, only use rubber bands or string for the outside perimeter of the rug and let the interior pieces just hang out freely, without any additionally security. Because there are so many pieces of piping woven through the mesh, they will stay in place without rubber bands. Of course, that does mean you’d have to be more carefully with pets, vacuuming, etc. So it’s a trade off.

Did you cut one big piece of mesh or were there several pieces stitched together? I mentioned this in the body of the post, but I know it’s a lot of info. So, I’m sharing it again here: Basically, I did some quick math to determine how many pieces of netting I would need to cut to make a 5X8 rug (3 pieces that are 8 feet long, since the netting is 2 feet wide), and I would have an extra foot leftover from the width, that I could cut off of the mesh before getting started, etc. Then I ‘stitched’ them together with the piping when it came time to fill up another piece of mesh. You can see the joining of two mesh pieces in one of the photos (second to last one in the steps – right above the final shot of feet on the rug with the pillow).

Can this rug be dyed or made in a color? I actually experimenting with dyeing the cotton piping before starting this project, but because the inside of the piping is what you end up seeing in the final rug design, it was;t a good solution….The outside of the piping dyes easily, but I found that the color doesn’t absorb to the inside easily. So I opted for a natural look. If you really want to go the colorful route though, you can use thick yarn or roving instead in any color you’d like, similar to this project I did more recently: http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2017/01/31/diy-wall-art-weaving-hack/ It would be considerably more expensive though, since thick yarns and roving can be costly.

How’s the rug holding up? The rug is actually holding up pretty well. I’ve switched out a few pieces here and there (when I spilled some wine that wouldn’t easily come out) and we try not to walk on it with shoes on, since it’s white. But other than normal wear from general use, it looks pretty good. The fluffiness does flatten out a tad over time, but that is to be expected with any rug that is as thick as this one. And you can always fluff it back up with your hands, or occasionally switch out the piping in spots if it’s really bothering you.

Brittni | February 21st, 2017 at 11:52 am

It’s awesome and beautiful! But I wonder, will the rubber bands be enough to resist a vacuum cleaner? Or two cats?

Renee-Claude | February 22nd, 2017 at 10:15 am

That might be something you’d have to test out Renee. As I mentioned in a previous comment below, there are alternatives to the rubber bands that you can use if you’re concerned. Please see the comment below where I answered all questions.

Brittni | February 22nd, 2017 at 11:03 am

[…] 1. Maak een groot, fluffly kleed. Dit ziet eruit als een héél groot project, met veel handarbeid. Maar tegelijkertijd ook zo lekker rustgevend en zen om in het weekend te doen. Nadat je de eerste ‘plukjes’ vast hebt gemaakt, is het verstand op nul en lekker knutselen. 2. Leren brieven organizer Dit herinnert mij eraan hoe chaos alle losse papieren en brieven op mijn bureau altijd veroorzaken. En hoe handig dit zou zijn! 3. Koperen slalepels Dit is zó’n simpel 1-minuut-project! Het project is niet heel weerbaar (tegen water en veel gebruik), maar aan de andere kant: het is zó snel klaar, dat je het zo weer opnieuw maakt. Leuk idee om je etentje wat extra fancy te maken. 4. Lippenstift houder Dit doet me denken aan DIY-project wat ik voor Pasen heb gemaakt (komt in maart online!). Ik vind deze organizer heel leuk; om je allermooiste lippenstiften on display te hebben. […]

7 DIYs om te proberen dit weekend • A Cup of Life | February 24th, 2017 at 4:40 am

It’s beautiful! Curious how it’s been to clean, does vacuuming do the trick??

Arisun | February 28th, 2017 at 12:01 am

Hi Arisun. If the individual pieces are properly secured (with rubber bands or tied together with string) then light vacuuming should be fine. But if the pieces aren’t secured and are just being held in by the force of all of the pieces being tightly pushed together (which does work by the way), you may occasionally suck up a piece in your vacuum if it’s really strong. That has not happened to me personally, but I could see how it would be a possibility. So I’m mentioning it. 🙂 It is a handmade item and should be treated with care.

Brittni | February 28th, 2017 at 12:42 am

Oh my gosh! It looks so clean and beautiful. I’m thinking about creating a rug on my own as well but I wonder if its cost effective!
Ana recently posted..The Fifty Shades of Grey and Fifty Shades Darker Controversy

Ana | February 28th, 2017 at 11:48 am

[…] 16. You can also DIY your own rug, if that’s more your thing. How to make a large scale rug from scratch. […]

Rug Thug: 17 Rugs that Will Make the Room - Paper and Stitch | March 2nd, 2017 at 9:06 am

Well since I moved to AZ, I have so so very much time on my hands, my new boyfriend I met on FB doesn’t want me to work therefore I have so many ideas for DIY crafts. I have made a rug before, crocheting, single stitch till finished. Turned out pretty good too. This one will be a challenge tho. Looking forward to starting one.

Shirleyn | March 3rd, 2017 at 6:57 am

Really beautiful looks super cozy… can it be washed??

Dominique | March 7th, 2017 at 2:45 pm

Hi Dominique. It can totally be spot cleaned and I have some notes about vacuuming in a previous comment that you might want to check out. Beyond that, additional washing would be at your discretion.

Brittni | March 7th, 2017 at 9:00 pm

I absolutely love this rug!!! I too was concerned about the rubber bands, cleaning and animals (after reading through ALL the comments left, I think I’m going to take away a step and add a step in to your instructions. Instead of using bands, I’m going to try as you suggested and simply weave them into desired spots and allow the thickness to secure them. However, for added durability and also to prevent slipping on hardwood floors, I’m considering using spray adhesive and attaching the whole thing to a rug grip. I’m hoping that prevents all the concerns being an issue. Except one. Won’t be able to replace pieces. But at least I’ll still be saving 100’s of bank thanks to you!!! Please feel free to comment on my suggestions. I’ve never made a rug before lol 🤗😘

Billie | March 7th, 2017 at 9:21 pm

That sounds like a great option, Billie. Let me know how it turns out with the rug grip. I almost wonder if you could just use the rug grip without attaching the two pieces together with spray adhesive. It might be enough of a grip to go without glueing them together and then you can still replace pieces if you ever need to.

Brittni | March 8th, 2017 at 1:03 am

Love, love, love the texture! This would make great floor pillows for when we have too many teens over for movie night.

Maggie | March 8th, 2017 at 9:58 am

Looks so cozy, but how does it hold up to regular vacuuming? With multiple pets in my home, and kids, and allergies I vacuum every 2-3 days.

H | March 12th, 2017 at 6:36 pm

Absolutely adore this, why don’t people read the comments and the answers to questions, how many times were you asked about the width of spool, am rapidly losing faith with the common sense of the good old USA folk, but that doesn’t detract from the gorgeousness of this project, well done

Annie | March 12th, 2017 at 11:28 pm

I am absolutely OBSESSED with the way this rug turned out. It looks even cuter than the rugs I see in stores! It seems really time consuming, but the fact that the steps are super easy makes that no biggie. (: I have an all white bedroom, and I would love for this rug to be at my bedside. It looks so comfy and cozy. I would just sit there with my feet on it just cuz! Haha! As soon as I can convince myself to front the money for this, it will be the first project I do. Until then, it will rest in my blog along with the other projects in my need-to-do DIY list! (;
Maya recently posted..How to Wear the Perspex Heel Booties Trend

Maya | March 13th, 2017 at 12:42 am

I’m a little confused as to how you weaved the piping. Is it one strand for each square on the grid? Please clarify 😊

I love how this turned out for you! I am curious to make my own custom size one to go between our couch and tv stand!

Jen | March 13th, 2017 at 10:50 pm

Hi Jen. The number of pieces of cotton piping that would go in each hole vary based on the width of the piping. So, for a super thick piece of piping, you’d only need one and for a thinner piece, you might need two of three. The goal is to fill the grid hole with the piping as much as possible, so that it stays in place, without slipping around, etc. Hope that helps answer your question.

Brittni | March 14th, 2017 at 8:00 pm

Not sure if this was previously asked somewhere but do you think it would still be possible to achieve this by using an anti slip rug pad (size of desired rug) instead of the multi use netting ?

Jessie | March 31st, 2017 at 8:53 pm

Good question Jessie. I believe anti slip pads have much smaller holes than the multi use netting, which would make it difficult to get the cotton piping through. But if you can find a rug pad that has larger holes, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. You may need to be more careful with it though because usually rug pads are made of a soft material (which can be accidentally ripped if too much is between the holes). Overall, I would still recommend using the multi use netting over a rug pad. Hope that helps.

Brittni | March 31st, 2017 at 10:11 pm

The rug looks awesome but those little rubber bands don’t hold up very well, I can tell you from raising a bunch of girls. They lose their stretch & break after a short time. Tying each loop with cheap cotton string from the hardware store would take longer, but the rug would last longer.

M Wilcox | April 5th, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for your suggestion M Wilcox. While my rug is still holding up well with the rubber bands months and months later, I’ve also suggested using cotton string as an alternative or skipping string and rubber bands completely and relying on the tension of the piping to keep everything in place, via my response comments to readers who have asked similar questions. So, we’re on the same page there. 🙂 I highly encourage anyone who makes this rug to go with the option they like best, since each option will give you the same (visual) result in the end.

Brittni | April 5th, 2017 at 5:43 pm

Love your rug! I’m looking to do this project and was wondering, approx how much cotton piping would you suggest for a 5×8 rug, if I buy the 1 inch width? Thank you so much!

Trudy | April 5th, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I would like to make one for my daughter’s house,for her bathroom. I would be making a oval one size 24″ X 48″. how much do you think I would need in the cotton piping. If I get this one done I also would like to make myself one in Beige for my bedroom size 7′ X 9′. That’s how much I liked yours. Thx

Beth | April 29th, 2017 at 10:02 am

rubber bands decompose after some years. what else can be used?

Vicki Stone | May 2nd, 2017 at 8:39 pm

Hi Vicki. I’ve answered this question in the comments several times. But just in case you didn’t see it. Here it is… If the rubber bands are something that you’re worried about longterm, you can use string to wrap around and knot each piece together (in place of rubber bands) OR as another option, only use rubber bands or string for the outside perimeter of the rug and let the interior pieces just hang out freely, without any additionally security. Because there are so many pieces of piping woven through the mesh, they will stay in place without rubber bands. Of course, that does mean you’d have to be more carefully with pets, vacuuming, etc. So it’s a trade off.

Brittni | May 2nd, 2017 at 11:53 pm

I want to know what kind of cotton piping did you use on amazon. Because they have a lot on there.

Stephanie | May 5th, 2017 at 2:47 pm

Hi Stephanie. I believe the exact piping I used is linked in the materials section of the post. Do you see it?

Brittni | May 5th, 2017 at 2:52 pm

What a gorgeous and genius idea! I’m so looking forward to making this! I’m brainstorming about doing this with a 2nd color to create a pattern to replicate a Moroccan/Beni Ourain style rug for my living room. You mentioned the inside of the cord would not dye well. I’m wondering if I could pre-cut the pieces, THEN dye some of them so the ends of those cords soak up the grey dye? Do you think this could work? I don’t mind if the cords get totally dyed inside because I think the variation of greys and whites would look more authentic anyways. Thoughts?

Jess | May 11th, 2017 at 11:56 am

Thanks Jess. I love that idea of creating a pattern. Yes – I think the dyeing would work if you precut the pieces before dyeing AND also open them up a bit on each end (pulling back some of the tiny string that incases the piping) so you can get to the inside for dyeing. That part is what will show when you create the rug. Let me know how it goes or if you have any other questions!

Brittni | May 11th, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Cotton piping is NOT cheap, that rug cost a small fortune!

Molly Craig | May 14th, 2017 at 3:22 pm

Hi Molly. I wouldn’t say a ‘small fortune’, but it’s definitely not a cheap DIY. As I mentioned in the post itself, the supplies cost me around $300. So, in comparison to how much rugs of this size normally cost (if you get a decent quality one), it’s still quite a bit less. Wishing you the best. 🙂

Brittni | May 14th, 2017 at 3:53 pm

I’m pretty sure this question has not been asked. Your mesh looks huge. I’ve never seen mesh like that. What kind would I be looking for? You did an incredible job.

Harmony Cooper | May 17th, 2017 at 4:13 am

Hi Harmony. I believe the mesh is linked in the materials list in the post. That’s the exact one I used. 🙂

Brittni | May 17th, 2017 at 12:39 pm

Do you have any advice on cleaning the rug after it has been lived in to keep it fresh?

Erin | May 19th, 2017 at 5:59 am

Hi Erin. Other than spot cleaning, which I’ve mentioned in other comments here, I’m not sure what else you might want to do in terms of cleaning. I haven’t tried using a carpet cleaner on it, so I don’t know if I could recommend it. But as long as you’re careful, and you use a lower setting, it may be okay? I try it in a small area first to be sure though.

Brittni | May 19th, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Wow, that would take so long but incredibly satisfying once you’re done

Alex | May 21st, 2017 at 6:14 am

It does take a while, Alex. Agreed. 🙂 But I love the results – it was very satisfying once it was complete, for sure.

Brittni | May 21st, 2017 at 12:40 pm

I cannot wait to try this! I’m planning on redoing my bedroom on a budget and this would be perfect! I know you said the price for your rug was $300? After looking on Amazon at prices I don’t exactly see how it could add up to that amount. Also I was wondering if this one I found is the correct kind used for it? https://www.amazon.com/Wrights-183-9000-29A-50-Yard-Natural/dp/B002PXR65C/ref=sr_1_5/136-0221450-0948175?ie=UTF8&qid=1495669037&sr=8-5&keywords=cotton+piping

Holly | May 24th, 2017 at 7:50 pm

[…] net produce bag from Say Yes giant DIY weaving made from cotton piping large scale DIY rug from scratch hanging cotton planter DIY from The Lovely Drawer no-sew DIY hot pad / trivet DIY small rope basket […]

6 DIYs You Can Recreate with Cotton Piping - Paper and Stitch | June 5th, 2017 at 1:01 am

Hi Holly. I would recommend trying a thicker option for your project if you can. The one that you sent a link for will definitely work BUT it will take longer and you will use a lot more piping if you go with that thickness. I like the one inch: http://rstyle.me/n/cn8kfamvmw and 1/2 inch thicknesses best: http://amzn.to/2rIJ70p . Hope that helps!

Brittni | June 6th, 2017 at 2:52 pm

Omg I’m dying over here, seriously you are the most patient person on planet earth answering the same questions over and over. Geez people, read the comments! If you can’t be bothered to do that then you don’t deserve a reply. Anywho, I just got 7 boxes of 1 inch piping today (40 yards per box) I’m excited to start this as soon as I get the netting after tomorrow! My best girlfriend is coming over and we’re making this over wine and talks. Thanks for this fabulous idea, but can I vacuum it? JUST kidding.

Val | June 6th, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Oh my gosh – I love you Val. Your comment made me laugh. 🙂 Let me know how the project turns out!

Brittni | June 6th, 2017 at 4:12 pm

Couldn’t this rug be made by hooking the cotton fibers through the netting? I love the rug, but I’m not sure the rubber bands are durable enough. Thank you.

Sheri | June 10th, 2017 at 1:29 pm

Did you use the 1″ cotton for your beautiful rug? Do you think it would withstand washing?not do you think the bands would snap?

Stacey | June 12th, 2017 at 7:56 pm

I am only just beginning this myself, and I may be doing something wrong? I bought the exact netting and one inch piping. However, as I pull it through, the netting around the piping is coming loose, and the piping is all pulling right out before I can band it off. I finally got around it, but all I had to do was barely tug and it all starts to come loose from the netting and the tie. I am using bakers twine instead of rubber bands because I have a baby, and I figured the bands might be a choking hazard. However, now I’m worried about the piping itself being easy to pull loose. I cut 4 inch pieces and just looped it through–as depicted. Wondering if your rug sheds?

Kat | June 29th, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Hi Kat. I wish I could see what your’s looks like to better figure out how I can help. It’s hard to visualize what you are describing. The piping shouldn’t be able to come undone though if you’re putting one end through one hole and the other end through another and then banding it together (with string in your case). Is that what you are doing? If so and you’re still having trouble, it might be because you are using string and/or not tie the string off tight enough? That’s why rubber bands work really well because they keep the grip kind of tight.

That said though, if you’re using thick cotton piping like that, it should stay snug in the netting like mine on its own (even without ruler bands). If you have a picture maybe that would help me to understand what you’re dealing with better?

Brittni | June 29th, 2017 at 3:10 pm

Brittni, I think I over reacted. I was able to practice more. I think I had aggressively pulled it through a few times and the netting around the piping frayed off. I think you were right, as the density of the piping when surrounded by more piping really does keep it together much better. I just had a brief panic there. Thanks for the quick response. This really is a cool idea and I can’t believe how soft it is. I want to keep smooshing my bare foot on the small part I’ve made.

Kat | June 29th, 2017 at 11:24 pm

Glad you’re getting the hang of it Kat. 🙂

Brittni | June 30th, 2017 at 12:49 am

It’s lovely but it’s very difficult to see how you are ‘weaving’, etc.
🙁

nadja | July 15th, 2017 at 9:01 am

What size piping did you use? I ordered some from Amazon and it came in extremely thin. The rug is beautiful I plan on making several in several colors. Thank you.

Sh-Landa | July 17th, 2017 at 1:16 pm

Hi Sh-Landa. One inch piping is probably one of the best thicknesses to use…and 3/4 inch is good too.

Brittni | July 17th, 2017 at 6:56 pm

I have a solution (pun intended (?)) for the washing issue. A friend gave me his recipe for cleaning carpets using a machine (steam cleaner, Rug Doctor, etc.), and I also keep it on hand in a spray bottle. I have cleaned cran/cherry grape juice with it without leaving any stain when it was sprayed on immediately after the stain was made.

2 tablespoons of water softener (20 Mule Team Borax is what I use)
1/4 cup rubbing alcohol
1/4 cup peroxide
1 gallon hot water

And, for those with mite allergies, like me, it kills them as well.

To clean handmade rugs, I would use a bucket or a storage bin, depending on the size and thickness of the rug. Fill the bucket or bin half way with the solution and let it soak an hour or two. Then I would place it upside down on a rack or across saw horses, again, depending on the size, to drain and dry. This did not discolor the carpet in my home or on the upholstery of my friends car. Good luck!

Lela | July 18th, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Thanks for the cleaning solution suggestion Lela. Much appreciated!

Brittni | July 18th, 2017 at 4:00 pm

Hi!! I am working on this rug and I absolutely love it!! I have figured out how to dye the pieces and they have tired out great but I am still confused on how to weave each one and yes I have read each comment!! Haha 😁 I have 11/16 piping. I started weaving and tying off pieces and then weaving the next row in the same box but it was making it super tight and almost hard to work with. So I thought maybe one end in each whole it spreads it out more and I would be using less piping… so I’m trying to figure out which one you would suggest? Thank u!!!

Jessica | July 19th, 2017 at 2:29 am

Hi Jessica. It’s hard for me to say definitively without seeing it, but if the piping is too thick to comfortably weave two rows in one hole than definitely feel free to weave one end in each hole instead of two. It will vary based on the thickness of your cording. Hope that helps!

Brittni | July 19th, 2017 at 9:19 pm

On the netting can you use plastic like the stuff you use too fence around your garden? It’s grate like. And your rug is Beautiful!

Patricia Staley | July 21st, 2017 at 1:22 pm

Hi Patricia. It’d be hard to say one way or another on that one, since I’m not familiar with the material you’re referring to. It just depends on how durable it is and how large the grid pattern is. I’ve linked to the exact material I used in the post, so if it’s similar to that, it may work.

Brittni | July 21st, 2017 at 10:54 pm

Is this the same as latch hook, but without the hook??

Victoria | July 22nd, 2017 at 5:30 am

It is kind of similar, Victoria, but there are some definite differences. One of them being that the cording isn’t secured on it’s own (with a knot like latch hook is) and another is that there are no special tools to use.

Brittni | July 23rd, 2017 at 3:09 pm

Hi! I love the rug and am considering making one for my nursery since its so cozy and plush looking! I was wondering how it has held up since you made it last year, and how it vacuums?

Larissa Meyer | July 25th, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Hi Larissa. It’s held up pretty well. I’ve replaced a few (super small) patches that got stained, but other than that it’s been good….It is in a low traffic area, so that’s something to keep in mind.

Brittni | July 25th, 2017 at 3:06 pm

Watch those run-on sentences.

Sam | August 5th, 2017 at 7:03 am

Hi. Can you suggest a permanent method for securing the piping. I thought of using a hand held sewing machine to close the piping. Then I noticed that the machines can only do thin fabrics. I don’t want to replace any portion of the rug when I’m done with it.

Tenn | August 5th, 2017 at 4:03 pm

Hi Tenn. I believe I’ve answered this in the comments below as well. But the only other thing I could think of is using a string to wrap around the cording instead of rubber bands, which I’ve also suggested to many other commenters. If possible, a thin string with a little bit of elastic would be ideal, if possible, like these (just stay away from the clear option as I’m not sure that’s strong enough): http://amzn.to/2fmZ0XZ Pull each one tight and double knot it then cut off the excess. This will be more time consuming than the rubber band method, but it sounds like it might be a better solution for you. Hope that helps.

Brittni | August 5th, 2017 at 4:25 pm

Well Done! Any advice on the best way to wash this type of rug?

Anna | August 5th, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Hi Anna. There was a commenter named Lela who shared her suggestion for a cleaning solution that she thinks would work for this rug, which you can find below (I think its 10 comments down or so). Other than that, I’ve shared my cleaning thoughts in the comments below as well, if you want to browse through those. Hope that helps!

Brittni | August 7th, 2017 at 9:47 am

It is Beautiful .Can you wash in the machine?

Sharon | August 16th, 2017 at 5:35 am