Plant One on Me: A $5 Hanging Planter Hack

This $5 hanging planter DIY is actually a Target hack! Click through for tutorial.

Move over Ikea hacks, today a Target hack is coming through!

The other day, I was strolling through Target and stopped by the dollar spot area to see if they had anything interesting. And they totally did! I found a few hanging planters that were only $5 each and I loved the shape (just wasn’t crazy about the finish or the string they were hanging from).

I threw a few in my cart and gave them a quick makeover as soon as I got home. And now they feel like substantial pieces that I spent WAY more than five bucks on. But that’s really all it ended up costing because I had all the supplies I needed to make these guys over at the studio already.

This hanging planter DIY is actually a $5 Target hack! Click through for tutorial.

DIY Hanging Planter Idea

How to make your own hanging planters for $5…

And in case you weren’t sure if I really got theses for $5. I have the proof and I’m not afraid to post it. Haha. I kind of couldn’t believe they were so cheap when I picked them up…they’re really good quality for the price (minus the flimsy string).

Materials

• $5 hanging planters from dollar spot area at Target
  • flat finish house paint (any color)
  • paint brush
  • rope
  • scissors
  • washi tape

This $5 hanging planter DIY is actually a Target hack!

Instructions

When I got home with the planters, the first thing I did was remove the flimsy string from each planter. I didn’t like how thin the string was or the color. So, it had to go.

Next, I mixed up some custom colors, using my never ending supply of house paint. I swear I have every color under the sun at this point and it’s a lot of cans to keep at the studio BUT I love using flat interiors paint for projects like these (and pretty much everything really) because of the durability and matte finish.

Once I had my three colors mixed, I painted each planter with 1 coat of paint (1/2 way down the inside of each planter, and all the way around the outside including the bottom, since that will show when the finished pieces are hanging). I waited about 30 minutes for the paint to completely dry (the planters are porous so it didn’t take long for the paint to absorb and dry) and did a few touch ups where it was necessary.

Then, I cut long pieces (2-3 feet each – you’ll need 2 pieces of rope for each planter) of thicker rope that I already had, added a little washi tape to each end to make it easier to thread the top through each hole, and threaded the rope through. Once I had both ropes through, I tied the long pieces at the top into a strong double knot. That’s it.

A $5 hanging planter DIY

What do you think of this before and after? Think it was worth the $5 to give these little guys a makeover?

P.S. Looking for another DIY hack to try? Check out the Anthro hack for a DIY desk organizer.

This entry is filed under , , , , .

I love $5 makeovers! I’m going to have to head straight to Target now.
Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling recently posted..Edible Easter Cake Topper

Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling | March 28th, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Let me know how it goes, Amy! Would love to see how they turn out, if you pick some up.

Brittni | March 28th, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Love the colors you used!

– Greta
Greta recently posted..A Must-Watch: The White Helmets

Greta | March 28th, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Thanks Greta!

Brittni | March 28th, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Whaaaat Brittni, these are so cute! And the colors are perfect! I’m going to target first thing in the morning!!!
Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake recently posted..A Bright Organized Entryway — The Reveal

Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake | March 28th, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Marlene. Let me know if you end up making any of these guys!

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 12:00 am

They look wonderful, and how easy it is to make them look expensive!
Michelle recently posted..Treats | Mediterranean Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus

Michelle | March 29th, 2017 at 1:45 am

Bonjour très bonnes idées bravo bise raymonde

chez raymonde | March 29th, 2017 at 3:34 am

Thanks so much Michelle and Chez.

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 7:00 am

I did the same thing to a Target dollar spot mirror aha. The color was bad and the string was terrible, but paint and new string made it a perfect prop! Love the colors 🙂
Cat recently posted..Holey Moly: How to Add Drainage Holes to ALL Your Pots

Cat | March 29th, 2017 at 8:05 am

Nice Cat! Gotta love a dollar spot makeover. 🙂

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 8:07 am

Very cute! Love the colours and the thicker rope makes all the difference.
Antonella | White House Crafts recently posted..WASHI TAPE EASTER EGG PICTURE FRAME

Antonella | White House Crafts | March 29th, 2017 at 8:24 am

Thanks Antonella. Agree on the rope. It really does help to make it feel more special / expensive.

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 9:00 am

I totally already have these and was planning to DUY them too! They were just kind of begging for a DIY makeover. Love your version!

Kara | March 29th, 2017 at 9:12 am

Totally agree that they were begging for a makeover, Kara. The shape was too good to pass up.

Brittni | March 30th, 2017 at 10:34 am

[…] in, and comfy. So why not bring a few indoor plants into that bathroom too. I used a couple of my DIY planters to bring in some greenery and bought a large plant from a home improvement store to soften the back […]

Before and After: A Minimal Modern Bathroom Makeover for Spring (And Beyond) | March 30th, 2017 at 1:44 pm

[…] Jeans via Studio DIY Hanging planter via Paper & Stitch Confetti table via A Kailo Chic Modern spring wreath via Persia Lou Cactus […]

30 Spring DIY ideas to make | Enthralling gumption | April 4th, 2017 at 2:14 pm

[…] DIY planter closet from Coco Lapine Design 2. a $5 hanging planter DIY hack 3. DIY cleansing yoga mat spray from Ctrl Curate 4. DIY floating flower table display from Sugar […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and Stitch | April 7th, 2017 at 8:03 am

[…] 2. Love this $5 planter hack! Perfect for spring and my undying plant obsession. […]

10 Things I Love Sunday – A Beautiful Mess | April 12th, 2017 at 4:37 pm

[…] Simple planter hack […]

Frivolous Friday – Chasing Cozy | April 14th, 2017 at 7:02 am

[…] (at least) one more planter project for spring. Especially because this one is just as easy as the hanging planter project that so many of you loved. AND it involves making something old new again, which I’m also […]

Planter Banter: A DIY Metal Planter Makeover in Under an Hour - Paper and Stitch | May 9th, 2017 at 8:04 am

Great idea! I’m just looking for some ideas to hang my flowers in a terrace. Also to protect them from my cat 🙂

Dovile | May 22nd, 2017 at 7:33 am