Plant One on Me: A $5 Hanging Planter Hack

This $5 hanging planter DIY is actually a Target hack! Click through for tutorial.

Move over Ikea hacks, today a Target hack is coming through!

The other day, I was strolling through Target and stopped by the dollar spot area to see if they had anything interesting. And they totally did! I found a few hanging planters that were only $5 each and I loved the shape (just wasn’t crazy about the finish or the string they were hanging from).

I threw a few in my cart and gave them a quick makeover as soon as I got home. And now they feel like substantial pieces that I spent WAY more than five bucks on. But that’s really all it ended up costing because I had all the supplies I needed to make these guys over at the studio already.

This hanging planter DIY is actually a $5 Target hack! Click through for tutorial.

DIY Hanging Planter Idea

How to make your own hanging planters for $5…

And in case you weren’t sure if I really got theses for $5. I have the proof and I’m not afraid to post it. Haha. I kind of couldn’t believe they were so cheap when I picked them up…they’re really good quality for the price (minus the flimsy string).

Materials

• $5 hanging planters from dollar spot area at Target
  • flat finish house paint (any color)
  • paint brush
  • rope
  • scissors
  • washi tape

This $5 hanging planter DIY is actually a Target hack!

Instructions

When I got home with the planters, the first thing I did was remove the flimsy string from each planter. I didn’t like how thin the string was or the color. So, it had to go.

Next, I mixed up some custom colors, using my never ending supply of house paint. I swear I have every color under the sun at this point and it’s a lot of cans to keep at the studio BUT I love using flat interiors paint for projects like these (and pretty much everything really) because of the durability and matte finish.

Once I had my three colors mixed, I painted each planter with 1 coat of paint (1/2 way down the inside of each planter, and all the way around the outside including the bottom, since that will show when the finished pieces are hanging). I waited about 30 minutes for the paint to completely dry (the planters are porous so it didn’t take long for the paint to absorb and dry) and did a few touch ups where it was necessary.

Then, I cut long pieces (2-3 feet each – you’ll need 2 pieces of rope for each planter) of thicker rope that I already had, added a little washi tape to each end to make it easier to thread the top through each hole, and threaded the rope through. Once I had both ropes through, I tied the long pieces at the top into a strong double knot. That’s it.

A $5 hanging planter DIY

What do you think of this before and after? Think it was worth the $5 to give these little guys a makeover?

P.S. Looking for another DIY hack to try? Check out the Anthro hack for a DIY desk organizer.

This entry is filed under , , , , .

I love $5 makeovers! I’m going to have to head straight to Target now.
Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling recently posted..Edible Easter Cake Topper

Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling | March 28th, 2017 at 9:22 pm

Let me know how it goes, Amy! Would love to see how they turn out, if you pick some up.

Brittni | March 28th, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Love the colors you used!

– Greta
Greta recently posted..A Must-Watch: The White Helmets

Greta | March 28th, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Thanks Greta!

Brittni | March 28th, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Whaaaat Brittni, these are so cute! And the colors are perfect! I’m going to target first thing in the morning!!!
Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake recently posted..A Bright Organized Entryway — The Reveal

Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake | March 28th, 2017 at 10:49 pm

Thanks Marlene. Let me know if you end up making any of these guys!

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 12:00 am

They look wonderful, and how easy it is to make them look expensive!
Michelle recently posted..Treats | Mediterranean Dried Tomato and Basil Hummus

Michelle | March 29th, 2017 at 1:45 am

Bonjour très bonnes idées bravo bise raymonde

chez raymonde | March 29th, 2017 at 3:34 am

Thanks so much Michelle and Chez.

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 7:00 am

I did the same thing to a Target dollar spot mirror aha. The color was bad and the string was terrible, but paint and new string made it a perfect prop! Love the colors 🙂
Cat recently posted..Holey Moly: How to Add Drainage Holes to ALL Your Pots

Cat | March 29th, 2017 at 8:05 am

Nice Cat! Gotta love a dollar spot makeover. 🙂

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 8:07 am

Very cute! Love the colours and the thicker rope makes all the difference.
Antonella | White House Crafts recently posted..WASHI TAPE EASTER EGG PICTURE FRAME

Antonella | White House Crafts | March 29th, 2017 at 8:24 am

Thanks Antonella. Agree on the rope. It really does help to make it feel more special / expensive.

Brittni | March 29th, 2017 at 9:00 am

I totally already have these and was planning to DUY them too! They were just kind of begging for a DIY makeover. Love your version!

Kara | March 29th, 2017 at 9:12 am

Totally agree that they were begging for a makeover, Kara. The shape was too good to pass up.

Brittni | March 30th, 2017 at 10:34 am

[…] in, and comfy. So why not bring a few indoor plants into that bathroom too. I used a couple of my DIY planters to bring in some greenery and bought a large plant from a home improvement store to soften the back […]

Before and After: A Minimal Modern Bathroom Makeover for Spring (And Beyond) | March 30th, 2017 at 1:44 pm

[…] Jeans via Studio DIY Hanging planter via Paper & Stitch Confetti table via A Kailo Chic Modern spring wreath via Persia Lou Cactus […]

30 Spring DIY ideas to make | Enthralling gumption | April 4th, 2017 at 2:14 pm

[…] DIY planter closet from Coco Lapine Design 2. a $5 hanging planter DIY hack 3. DIY cleansing yoga mat spray from Ctrl Curate 4. DIY floating flower table display from Sugar […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and Stitch | April 7th, 2017 at 8:03 am

[…] 2. Love this $5 planter hack! Perfect for spring and my undying plant obsession. […]

10 Things I Love Sunday – A Beautiful Mess | April 12th, 2017 at 4:37 pm