Alright chicken and waffles has been done 101 times, but it’s because the combo is kind of delicious. Right? So, what if we take that combo and kind of turn it on it’s head a little and make it a chicken salad waffle sandwich. You with me on this one? Or have I gone crazy?
This may seem like a strange combo, but I’m pretty sure that if you give it a go, you’ll totally love it. So, let’s get to the recipe!
– waffles (homemade or store bought)
– 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cooked)
– 1 cup pecan pieces, toasted
– 3 cups of red seedless grapes
– 4 stalks of celery
– 1 cup mayonnaise
– 4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
– 5 teaspoons honey
– salt and pepper
1. First, cut the grapes into halves and chop the celery stalks into 1/4 inch thick pieces (or desired thickness). Chop the pecans as well. Toss the celery, grapes, and pecans into a big bowl.
2. Then add honey, mayo, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper to the same bowl. Stir well.
3. Next, cut the cooked chicken breasts into smallish pieces, then add it to the bowl and mix together until fully incorporated. Put the bowl in the fridge until chilled (about an hour). Then, add the chicken salad in between two waffles, with some lettuce, and you’re good to go. Yum!
BTW, This sandwich would pair well with these lemon and herb french fries, if you’re feeling especially crazy / decadent.
Recipe adapted from my fave Whole Foods chicken salad recipe
Styling and photography by Brittni Mehlhoff
Think you’ll give this version of chicken and waffles a try?