Because donut glazed waffles weren’t enough to satisfy my sweet tooth, I’m coming at ya with some homemade strawberry cake ball truffles today. I just can’t be stopped at this point.
Using some leftover cake I had from the colorful bday party shoot, I made these pastel party bites with a lilac outside and strawberry pink inside. So, if you have a celebration coming up (birthday, baby shower, wedding, random Tuesday, etc), these cake ball truffles are super easy to make and don’t require a ton of ingredients either.
Want to make your own?
Ingredients (makes roughly 30 cake balls)
– strawberry cake, already baked (13×9 sheet cake or a standard bundt cake)
– 1 (16 oz) can of icing (vanilla, buttercream, or strawberry)
– white chocolate chips (or vanilla Candiquik)
– gel food coloring
– sugar sprinkles
Before we get started, I used leftover cake that I already had from a party, but if you don’t have any cake at home already, you can use this strawberries and cream bundt cake recipe to make the cake needed for these truffles.
1. Crumble cake in a large bowl, with your hands. Then, add roughly 3/4 of a can of icing to the bowl, mixing with a fork or spoon until the icing is fully incorporated. You can also use a mixer for this step if you’d like.
Quick Note on the Icing: Lots of recipes for cake balls call for using a whole can of icing, but I found that using a little less than a full can tastes better. I added about 3/4 of a can to my cake balls (so roughly 12 oz). So feel free to hold some of the icing back and experiment before tossing it all in there. You can always add more if the mixture is too dry to form balls that stick together.
2. Roll batter into 1 inch balls and pop in the freezer while you complete the next step.
3. Melt white chocolate or Candiquik. I melted mine in the microwave (30 second intervals, stirring between each interval). Once melted, add gel food coloring to the chocolate and stir thoroughly. I mixed pink and blue gel food coloring to get the lilac purple color.
4. Next, remove cake balls from the freezer and dip into the melted chocolate. I just placed each ball into the chocolate, individually, then used a fork to cover it completely in chocolate before fishing it back out.
5. Let the balls harden on parchment and sprinkle with sugar while the chocolate is still melty. Once the chocolate has completely hardened, these cake ball truffles are ready to eat. They’ll last in the fridge for about a week.
Photography and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff
Assisted by Linda Jednaszewski
Have you ever made cake balls before? What’s your favorite flavor to make?
19 comments | Click here to reply
Geez, those look good! I think I may be trying them soon. Love truffles.Zoe
Ughhh what I would do for some of these right now! They look amazing.
Awesome Angeline. I love strawberry cake too. Yum!Brittni
I totally love strawberry cake so this recipe is right up my alley! Thank you for sharing! 🙂Angeline P
I’ll have to make some of these next time you come to visit, Kel! Or next time I’m in LA.Brittni
True life: My two favorite desserts are cake and chocolate covered strawberries so please excuse me while I LOSE MY MIND over this!!!Kelly @ Studio DIY
Haha. Thanks Paige and Jaie!Brittni
Suddenly Im starving. mouth watering…… oh my.. i wish.. i could cook and eat all of these. notice i said cook….too 🙂Jaie
Thanks Isosceles and Paige. Definitely good for a Tuesday pick me up. 🙂Brittni
Yum! These are the best random Tuesday treats I’ve ever seen!
These look so tastey!
ISOSCELLA | isoscella.blogspot.co.ukISOSCELLA
Definitely Trang! They’re so easy.Brittni
These look delicious!! I’ve never made truffles before, so this would be a good recipe to try. Thank you!Trang
Totally Hayley. These could easily be made into cake pops with a lollipop stick.Brittni
These look very yummy! Very popular at the moment are cake lollipops. You could probably use your recipe, but just stick a lollipop stick inside aswell. Children love them!
Thanks for the baking inspiration!Hayley
Thanks Bella and Sandra. 🙂Brittni
What! This looks incredible 🙂Sandra
Such pretty colours!
xoxoBella | http://xoxobella.comBella B