Hello, hello! And happy Monday!
I wanted to kick off the week with a new ice cream recipe that still has some of those winter vibes to it. Considering it’s somehow 35 degrees today (in Atlanta?! What is going on?). Make your own homemade chai ice cream!
I figured since the chai popsicles were a hit, we might as well make some ice cream too. Want to make a homemade batch of your own?
Here’s what you’ll need to make your own homemade chai ice cream…
- 2 1/4 cups of whole milk
- 4 tablespoons of chai concentrate
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch
1) Combine 2 tablespoons of chai concentrate with corn starch and stir until the cornstarch has dissolved in a bowl.
2) Next, combine the milk with the rest of the chai concentrate, heavy cream, granulated sugar, and salt in the sauce pan. Set aside.
3) In a bowl, prepare an ice bath for the sauce pan. This will be used to chill the ice cream base afterwards.
4) Move the sauce pan with the milk mixture to the stove and bring to a simmer on medium heat. Once the mixture is at a steady simmer, heat the mixture for 6 minutes, stirring with a whisk.
5) Reduce heat to low and, while stirring, add corn starch mixture. Then, increase back to medium heat and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
6) Remove from heat and submerge the sauce pan into the ice bath. Keep stirring! This will help cool the ice cream base more quickly and evenly.
7) Once the mixture has cooled down place in an airtight container and let refrigerate for an hour
8) Then add the mixture to the ice cream maker and turn it on. (Make sure you follow the directions of your ice cream maker) It took about 20 minutes for my ice cream to churn and set up
9) Scoop the ice cream into freezer-safe pans, and cover with airtight lids, and freeze overnight.
I like to serve it with a sprinkling of crushed up waffle cones, for an extra crunch. And a teeny tiny bit of loose leaf tea for fun. Not necessary, but super good (in my opinion). Yum!
Recipe by Anissa Saxton
Styling by Brittni Mehlhoff
Photography by Amelia Tatnall
Think you’ll give this chai ice cream recipe a try?