I love a good half up half down hairdo. And this one is one of my faves right now…it’s a simple half up pony braid that looks effortless but still chic. For all of those times when you want your hair down but also need it out of your face, so it’s not annoying you every five seconds, there’s this two minute hair tutorial.
How to recreate this half up pony braid at home…
- Spray hair all over with your favorite texturizing product. We started this style with wavy/curly hair but it would work great with straight hair too.
- Start by pulling about a quarter of your hair into a pony near your crown. Take a small section of that pony and wrap it around the hair tie, securing it with a bobby pin underneath.
- Using that pony tail you are going to begin making and inverted french braid, adding large sections until you’ve used up another quarter of your hair (stopping halfway down your head) and secure with a hair tie. Tug/pull pieces from each side if the braid to make it loose and messy.
- Wrap that hair tie with a small section of hair and secure behind with a bobby pin.
- If your braid feels a little too loose you can tighten it adding bobby pins in the center starting from the bottom and pushing them upwards.
Hair Rachel Brewer
Photography Amelia Tatnall Lawrence
Modeling Machaelie Hay
Styling Brittni Mehlhoff
What do you think of this half up half down do?
6 comments | Click here to reply
this is nicely done, it looks simple but I don’t know ( ha ha) but i think this is easily done on long hair, I’ll this on my niece’s hair one of this day. happy to be here.Sarah A.
Thanks Michelle. Rachel did an awesome job with the hair, as usual. 🙂Brittni
[…] Love this half up half down braid tutorial (Paper and Stitch) 2. A moody floral decoupage pumpkin DIY (Hunted Interior) 3. I made this […]Take Note: Links and Reads | The Blondielocks | Life + Style
Wow, it looks so stunning!Michelle
Yeah, this one is probably easiest on longer hair, Kiersten. But you never know…let me know how it goes.Brittni
I absolutely love this hairstyle! I’m gonna try it right now, but I have a feeling that it won’t work great with my short hair. We’ll see!