If you’re sending out any Valentine’s Day cards this year, I have a fun little project you may want to try before those cards go out in the mail.
It’s for these hand drawn / hand lettered DIY envelope liners, with fun phrases and patterns. And I’m 99% sure this extra little touch will make almost anyone crack a smile.
I’ve shared some envelope liner DIY ideas here in the past, but these are specifically for V-Day and are a bit more fun and playful. Plus, you can totally customize them to any color, pattern, or phrase to fit the recipient’s interests….or even an inside joke that only makes sense to the two of you.
My favorites from this batch are the linear sprinkles and the shout out to Lionel Richie. Adele may have ‘Hello’ on lock right now, but Lionel had the original Hello song and I’m still down with that old school vibe. What about you?
- sheet of colorful paper
- writing utensil (pen, marker, paint pen, etc)
- glue stick
- greeting card with envelope
- Start by drawing and writing phrases and patterns onto a sheet of paper. This is where the fun stuff starts, so get creative with it.
- Next, open up your envelope, so that the flap is open, and trace the pointed flap (and base of the envelope) onto the paper you drew on in step #1. I recommend using a pointed flap envelope for this DIY, like the ones in the picture. This tracing will become your envelope liner.
- Cut out the envelope liner, timing off roughly an 1/8 inch on each side of the base part of the envelop and at least an inch off the bottom of the base (so that the envelope liner fits well on the inside.
- Place the envelope liner inside the envelope to make sure it fits. Make any adjustments, if necessary. Then, glue the envelope liner into the envelope liner and let dry. Done!
Pretty easy, right? And they only take about 5 minutes to make! Quick and easy are always my fave DIYs.
Lettering and craft production by Rachel Brewer
Photography and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff
P.S. In case you’re wondering where the greeting cards are from, I got you boo. Here are the links… Lookin’ Good card // Oh Yeah card // Mini Happy V-day card.
Which envelope liner is your favorite? Think you’ll give this DIY a try?