Now that fall is officially starting, I thought it was about time for a pie DIY. I had some extra blueberries leftover from this popsicle project, so I was able to use the rest of them in this super easy mini message hand pie project.
These pies are really easy to make and only have a handful of ingredients (5 to be exact). Perfect for stress-free fall entertaining.
Want to make your own batch? Here’s how…
Ingredients: pre-made pie dough (or make your own if you prefer) // 3 cups of blueberries // 2 tablespoons of honey // 1/2 cup of sugar (less if you prefer the filling more tart) // 1-2 tablespoons of butter (optional)
Materials Needed: large spoon // knife // fork // alphabet cookie cutters (like these) // baking sheet
1. Start by smashing roughly 1/2 of the blueberries roughly with a flat spoon or mortar and pestle. Add them to a bowl and mix in the remainder of the blueberries, sugar, and honey. Stir. You’ll notice that there isn’t any flour or lemon in this recipe. I wanted to make something super easy, without a ton of ingredients. So after a little experimenting, this is what I came up with. It’s a little lighter than a typical pie filling, which I love.
2. Next, roll out your pie dough, and cut the dough into various shapes and sizes, freehand. These will become your hand pies, so make sure for every shape you create, you have another one to match it. So you have a top and bottom piece.
3. Next, using cookie cutters, create your message.
4. Add pie filling in the center of the bottom piece of pie dough. Then add your top piece of sought, that has the cookie cutter message on it.
5. Pinch all of the sides together, then use a fork to create a decorative border all the way around each hand pie and create a more secure seal. Add a small amount of butter to the top of each hand pie and place onto a baking sheet.
6. Bake for 9-12 minutes at 350 or until golden brown. Let cool and enjoy.
Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff
When the holidays roll around, I suspect I’ll be making a whole lot of these little guys. Just switch out the fruit and you’re good to go.
Think you’ll whip up a batch of these blueberry hand pies for fall?