Over the weekend, I finished up my first style guide of the year. And from the looks of things, I’m still very much drawn to color palettes that are mix a of neutrals and bold pops of color.
To get my January organization into gear, I also made some gold DIY push pins, for good measure. So I’m sharing the tutorial for those and the full style guide today. Click through to check it out.
Lets get down to brass tacks (ha) first…Well, I guess they’re technically gold leaf tacks but you know what I mean. Here’s how to make your own…
Materials for Gold Thumbtacks
- square wood thumbtacks (there’s also geo shaped ones and rounds)
- gold leaf, copper leaf, silver leaf (whichever you like best – or all 3)
- metal leaf adhesive size
- small paint brush
Instructions for Gold Thumbtacks
1. Place a sheet of gold, silver, or copper foil on a flat surface. Then use the paint brush to apply adhesive sizing to one side of the square thumbtack. Wait for the sizing to get tacky, according to packaging, then place that side down onto the sheet of metal leaf.
2. Repeat this process over and over with new thumbtacks.
3. Pull the thumbtacks up and gold leaf will have stuck to that one side.
4. Repeat steps 1, 2, and 3 with other sides of the thumbtacks until they’re completely covered.
As for the style guide… See those pastel orangey peach and creamy tan colors that pop up in 3 or 4 photos? Obsessed with those colors rn, especially with variations of blue.
I’ve also been inspired by unique type treatments lately and that mini poster WE MUST BRIDGE THIS DIVIDE is my fave. It’s from Eleven5 (used to be in their shop, but I don’t think it’s available anymore).
Have you been creating any styles guide / physical moldboards yet this year? What colors, textures, things, places are you inspired by most this season?
7 comments | Click here to reply
Its brilliant idea of thumb tacks, Love you for sharing such wonderful tips.andrew
Love those thumb tacks! My project for the weekend! I’m really excited! Thanks for sharing.❤Trina Rodriguez
[…] DIY gold leaf thumbtacks (geo addition) 2. denim woven jacket project from Etsy 3. brass circle barrette DIY from The […]6 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and Stitch
Thanks Pink Pineapple. 🙂Brittni
It’s so adorablethe pink pineapple
Thanks Michelle. I think this is my fave style guide so far. 🙂Brittni
Cool idea, and I really like the style inspiration board. It’s both functional and decorative!Michelle