These days, I’m all about the DIY jewelry projects, especially if they’re quick and easy. So, today I’m sharing a unique necklace project with an earthy modern vibe. Bonus! With a little brass tubing, thick leather, and a few other supplies, this DIY brass and leather necklace idea will take you less than 30 minutes to make!
Materials Needed for DIY Brass and Leather Necklace
- round brass tube (1/8 inch diameter or larger)
- small pipe and tube cutter
- thick piece of leather scrap (5 inch square is enough)
- 24 inch cord
- leather hole punch
- ruler or tape measure
- sharp blade for cutting (like Xacto knife)
How to Make a DIY Brass and Leather Necklace
1. Using a small pipe and tube cutter (mine is from Amazon), measure a piece of brass (about 3.5 inches long) and cut down to size using the tool. It’s very easy to use…you just clamp the brass tube into the opening and spin the tool around and around over and over again until it snaps off.
2. Wet a piece of leather under the sink to help loosen it up and make it easier to cut. Then, measure a 4 inch wide semi-circle and cut using a sharp blade. It helps if you find a circular object that is already this diameter and trace it to use as a guide for the semi-circle.
3. Next, use a leather hole punch to punch out two holes on either side that are 1/4 inch from the edge.
4. Next, lay the brass tube along the leather and string your cord through the the holes. Be sure to knot the cord along the back of the leather so that the brass tube stays in place. Wrap the cord around to make a double strand and make another decorative knot along the front side (both ends). And it’s ready to wear.
P.S. If the natural vibe this DIY necklace has going on isn’t your thing, you can easily paint the leather before assembling and add a more colorful cord for a totally different look.
Photography Amelia Lawrence
What do you think of the finished piece? Would you make a DIY brass and leather necklace like this one?