10/24/12
20 comments Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins by   |   20 comments

I am sure you’ve already seen your fill of Halloween DIYs these last couple of weeks around the web. But I couldn’t resist getting in on the fun.

I found a few fake, mini pumpkins last week and decided to use a material that I’ve never used on pumpkins before: tissue paper! With all the painted pumpkins I’ve been seeing lately, I thought I would give paint a break. So there’s no paint involved in this pretty in pink (and mint green) pumpkin project, except for the gold leaf pen, but that doesn’t count. Does it?

Here’s how to make your own…

Supplies:

1. Small decorative pumpkins (mine are fake- similar here)
  2. Tissue paper (light pink and mint green)
  3. Mod Podge (matte)
  4. Paint brush
  5. Gold leaf paint pen

Step by Step Instructions:

1. Gather your supplies and begin tearing your tissue paper into small(ish) rectangular shapes. I made my tissue paper pieces about 1/5 of the size of my pumpkins.
  2. Carefully remove the stems from your pumpkins and set them aside. Mine just popped right out because my pumpkins are made of styrofoam and plastic. You’ll reattach the stems once everything is done.
  3. Start covering small sections (about 1/4 to 1/2 of your pumpkin at a time if you are working with a small sized pumpkin) with thin layers of Mod Podge. Place a piece of your tissue paper onto of the glue section and then coat with glue on top of that layer of tissue paper as well.
  4. Repeat step 3 until your pumpkin is completely covered.
  5. Wait until your pumpkin is dry from the first layer of tissue paper and glue and then add at least one more layer of tissue paper (same as what you did for step 3) around the entire pumpkin again.
  6. Wait for it to completely dry and then determine whether or not you need additional layers of tissue paper. This really just depends on your preference. Once you are finished, reattach the stems of each pumpkin and add a little glue if necessary to keep it secure.
  7. Now, grab your gold leaf pen and go to town with what designs you can dream up – polka dots, triangles, chevron, words, whatever. All done!

What do you think? Would you make these little guys for Halloween at your house?

P.S. Here are some other Halloween pumpkins I decorated a few years ago (with tutorial).

20 comments to Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins Click here to reply

RT @papernstitch: Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins: I am sure you’ve already seen your… http://t.co/nMH75I8H

(@discoverpaper) (@discoverpaper) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 10:05 am

(@Daft_Crafts) (@Daft_Crafts) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 10:09 am

Swap-bot News (@SwapbotNews) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 10:18 am

RT @SwapbotNews: Cute! RT @papernstitch: Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins: http://t.co/o0w84Pjl

(@BrownPaperBunny) (@BrownPaperBunny) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 10:36 am

Brittni! These are SO awesome! RT @papernstitch Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins http://t.co/eYjQadu6

(@StudioDIY) (@StudioDIY) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 11:18 am

Love! @StudioDIY: Brittni! These are SO awesome! RT @papernstitch Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins http://t.co/cAVMeqrp

sarah ehlinger (@verysarie) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 11:28 am

SO CUTE! Halloween DIY: How to Make Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins http://t.co/YGzXMfpZ via @sharethis @papernstitch

(@abubblylife) (@abubblylife) commented on October 24th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I love a play on proportions. The tiny pumpkins are darling. I love how you spiced them up with pastel colors and a touch of gold
Erica recently posted..The world is on fire.

Erica commented on October 24th, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Thank you Erica! And thanks to everyone for their tweets and kind words on social media today. Happy (early) Halloween.

papernstitch commented on October 24th, 2012 at 10:20 pm

awwwwww. Too cute! Love the colors you used!
Kristen recently posted..KITCHEN.reveal

Kristen commented on October 25th, 2012 at 1:02 am

Those pumpkins are so cute!! I’d love to try to make some!!
Thanks for the amazing idea and instructions!!
Maslinda recently posted..Bespoke services, something special just for you!

Maslinda commented on October 25th, 2012 at 4:38 am

your little pumpkins are so darn cute!! and look super easy to make! thanks for sharing!!
kristin recently posted..repurposed cereal bags

kristin commented on October 25th, 2012 at 8:05 am

Thanks ladies! Happy Halloween to you Kristen, Maslinda, and Kristin.

papernstitch commented on October 25th, 2012 at 9:10 am

How cute! Love your little pumpkins, and easy to make. Thank you for sharing your tutorial.

Linda

Sharing (-;

Mixed Kreations commented on October 26th, 2012 at 5:43 am

So cute! I like that you’ve used none Halloween-y colours. Makes a change from orange and black

Lisa commented on October 26th, 2012 at 3:00 pm

These are the cutest! I’m a fan of the sweet pastels. I would most definitely have these around my house. Great photos! :)

Lexy commented on October 30th, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hello!

I wanted to let you know that this post has been included in a collection on my blog. I am an Event Designer, and I put together a weekly post as part of my series, “The Sparkle Queen Events”.

This is a link to the direct post:

Links to your site have been included in the post for my viewers to find easier! This event will be shared and showcased not only on my blog, but also on my social media accounts such as Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, etc.. , I’d love to connect pages via social media, so I can showcase your item and share it better with my followers.

I hope you get a chance to see the post!

<3 The Sparkle Queen from sparklysharpandfabulous.blogspot.com
The Sparkle Queen recently posted..Pumpkin Decorating Party

The Sparkle Queen commented on November 7th, 2012 at 9:33 pm

[…] 10. Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins […]

The Ultimate Guide to Fall Decor (Hundreds of DIY ideas!) - Henry Happened commented on September 16th, 2013 at 9:41 am

[…] 1- Calabaza con papel de seda, ver DIY aquí. […]

calabazas monas monisimas y sin carvado! | the godmother's commented on October 24th, 2013 at 6:56 am

[…] 10. Tissue Paper Mini Pumpkins […]

The Ultimate Guide to Fall Decor (Hundreds of DIY ideas!) commented on November 4th, 2013 at 6:33 am