02/10/14
15 comments Make This: DIY Salt Water Taffy Cocktail Stirrers + Cupcake Toppers by   |   15 comments

DIY // taffy drink stirrers + cupcake toppers

I bought some salt water taffy candies at the store over the weekend, and after eating a few, I realized they would be fun edible additions to party foods and drinks. So I put together a quick little Monday morning tutorial for making stacked taffy cupcake toppers and candy kabob drink stirrers.

They’re insanely easy and would be a good last minute solution for Valentine’s Day, birthday parties, etc.

DIY Candy Kabobs for Cupcakes

Here’s how to make your own…

You’ll only need three supplies: wood skewer sticks, salt water taffy candies, and scissors or wire cutters to cut the skewers down to size.

To Make: Unwrap candies and poke them through the wood skewer (through the pointed side). Keep pushing them down to add multiple candies in a row. Once done, cut the bottom end of the skewer to size (long for drink stirrers and pretty short for cupcakes). That’s it.

If you want to go the extra mile though, you can make your own homemade taffy beforehand. This recipe is my favorite.

yum! salt water taffy as DIY cupcake toppers

salt water taffy drink stirrers + cupcake toppers

And if you’re really in a hurry, you don’t even have to unwrap the candies. They look just as cute with the wrappers on. It really only works for the cupcake toppers though. Drink stirrers would probably look a little crazy with the wrapper on – unless it was just one candy on the end of the stick.

yummy little DIY cupcake toppers

DIY cupcake toppers and drink stirrers / made with salt water taffy

yum! salt water taffy cupcake toppers

DIY salt water taffy party edibles

Naturally, kids will love these, but they’re good for adults too…The drink stirrers would be perfect for party cocktails and guest could eat them like dessert when they’ve finished their drinks.

What do you think? Is this easy enough for you to try at home?

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

15 comments to Make This: DIY Salt Water Taffy Cocktail Stirrers + Cupcake Toppers Click here to reply

Shut your mouth right now! I love these!!!
Ashley | Sugar & Cloth recently posted..DIY // Fringed love cake topper

Ashley | Sugar & Cloth commented on February 10th, 2014 at 10:32 am

Haha. Thanks Ash. Speaking of love…I love the ‘LOVE’ fringe cake topper you have on the blog today, from Molly. I’m shooting a letter cake topper today, but it’s not nearly as cool.

papernstitch commented on February 10th, 2014 at 10:42 am

CUTE!

Kelly Smith commented on February 10th, 2014 at 11:30 am

Such a cute, easy touch! I love this idea.

XOXO
Becca | Ladyface Blog
Becca recently posted..Snow Day!

Becca commented on February 10th, 2014 at 11:38 am

Thanks Becca and Kelly! Hope your weeks are off to a great start.

papernstitch commented on February 10th, 2014 at 11:42 am

AMAZING. Genius. This is why I love you!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Giant Cupid’s Arrow Balloons

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on February 10th, 2014 at 11:49 am

Aw, thanks Kel. :)

papernstitch commented on February 10th, 2014 at 11:52 am

I love these! They kind of look watercolor-y, which is so pretty!
Chelsea Foy recently posted..Anthropologie Valentine’s Day Giveaway

Chelsea Foy commented on February 10th, 2014 at 11:55 am

They do kinda look like watercolors don’t they, Chels? I was thinking that too.

papernstitch commented on February 10th, 2014 at 1:00 pm

Ahhhh everything looks so pretty!

Jenna || Jennafifi.co.uk
Jenna recently posted..Valentine’s Day Gift Guide For Her! (60+ Gift Ideas!)

Jenna commented on February 10th, 2014 at 2:57 pm

[…] two three four five […]

Moustache Mix: Easy Peasy | Dapper with Moustache commented on February 10th, 2014 at 6:44 pm

So clever! Little touches make a big difference!
Kim Byers @ The Celebration Shoppe recently posted..Purple Minion Valentine Card Box {Easy Kid Craft}

Kim Byers @ The Celebration Shoppe commented on February 11th, 2014 at 12:37 pm

Thanks Jenna.

And Kim – I totally agree…all about the little touches.

papernstitch commented on February 11th, 2014 at 3:08 pm

[…] (and kids at heart, like myself). And if cereal isn’t your style, no worries…I have this salt water taffy cupcake topper and drink stirrer DIY for you to try. Something for […]

Make This: DIY Heart Shaped Cupcake Toppers for V-Day + What I’ve Been up to Lately | Paper & Stitch commented on February 12th, 2014 at 9:00 am

Oh these are just darling! :)

Vanessa commented on March 4th, 2014 at 1:49 am