Oh My, Dip Dye! Watercolor Stationery DIY

DIY // Dip Dyed Stationery

This Friday is National Handwriting Day and I couldn’t be more pumped to whip my handwriting skills into shape. What about you?

So, I’ve partnered with Pentel of America to bring you a DIY video tutorial that is geared towards this super fun holiday. Make these dip dyed watercolor notecards and stationery sets, as gifts for friends and family and/or snail mail that you can stock up on to send out for special occasions, etc.

As part of the project, I collaborated with local designer, Erica Loesing from Yes Ma’am, to hand letter all of  the dip dyed cards. And Erica is sharing her top 3 tips for better handwriting today, as well. Yay!

But first, the (video) tutorial. Here’s how to make dip dyed watercolor stationery with hand lettered greetings…

One of the things I love most about this project is the accessibility. All you need are a handful of super basic supplies, along with a watercolor set and a simple marker.

How to make dip dyed stationery

How to make dip dyed stationery

Here’s the full supplies list, in case you missed it in the video…

Supplies List:

The whole process of mixing the paints, and dipping the cards takes almost no time at all (it took an hour to dip dye 25+ cards in 3 different colors). Then, you let the cards dry flat overnight, underneath a stack of books (and in between paper towels), and you’re ready to letter the front of each card with custom messages and send them out. Piece of cake!

Note: During the dip dying process, when you lay the cards flat for drying (which you’ll see in the video), the designs created in the inside of the card are much different than what is created on the outside. So when the cards are dry, if you like the design that was created in the inside better (which will look more like inkblots than a dip dye pattern), just fold your card over the other way, so that the inside becomes the outside.

DIY // Dip Dyed Notecard Stationery

Dip Dyed

Can't Touch This

If you’re like me, you may need a little assistance in the handwriting department before tackling a dip dyed stationery set on your own. So, I asked Erica to outline her top 3 tips for better handwriting and lettering to give everyone a push in the right direction.

1. Embrace your style. Love the way your hand writes rather than always trying for it to look like someone else’s.

2. Be mindful. Being present while writing allows you to appreciate the subtleties of how each letter connects to the next, the spacing, how the scale of each letter compares to it’s neighbors. And as handwriting becomes a bit of a lost art, enjoying it is pretty special.

3. Each pen, pencil, or nib allows your hand to move a little bit differently.  Find the right tools for you.
Time to write some seriously awesome snail mail to friends. Right? Here’s how the finished project turned out…

DIY // Dip Dyed Stationery with Hand Lettered Messaging

You Got This

Dip Dyed Paper Goods

DIY // Dip Dyed Stationery with Hand Lettered Messages

Creative Direction, Production and Styling // Brittni Mehlhoff
Craft Production Assistant // Linda Jednaszewski
Photography and Video // Kimberly Murray
Hand Lettering // Erica Loesing from Yes Ma’am

Think you’ll give this dip dyed project a try? How are you planning to celebrate National Handwriting Day?

This post is in partnership with Pentel of America. Thank you for supporting the brands that make this site possible.

Cute, cute, cute! Great idea!
Kristin C recently posted..5 Things to Do in 2015

Kristin C | January 21st, 2015 at 11:08 am

Thanks Kristin.

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 11:20 am

Sooooo cute, B!!
Ashley | Sugar & Cloth recently posted..Couples Day Date Idea (& win a bike!)

Ashley | Sugar & Cloth | January 21st, 2015 at 11:24 am

Thanks Ash. :)

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 11:34 am

LOVE this stationery idea! The blue you’ve used is beautiful too :)

Emma | January 21st, 2015 at 11:58 am

Thanks Emma. I’m really into blues and greens right now. So I’m glad you like ’em too.

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 12:00 pm

What an adorable idea! I might have to gather some friends together and make these!

x Sarah
Sarah recently posted..Roasted Cauliflower Soup

Sarah | January 21st, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Awesome Sarah! This project would be even faster with a couple of friends. You could create a mini assembly line. :)

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 12:15 pm

They are adorable. And so easy to make! Pinned! :)
By the way, your hand writing is fantastic!
Kelly Brito recently posted..Evolving While Creating Something You Love

Kelly Brito | January 21st, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Thanks Kelly! The hand lettering was all done by Erica from Yes Ma’am, so I can’t take credit for the handwriting. But I’m glad you liked the project. :)

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 12:22 pm

I love the subtle shades of blue, gonna try it! Thanks for the inspiration and tips.
Kathy recently posted..Roasted Rosemary Almonds

Kathy | January 21st, 2015 at 12:34 pm

swoon! these are so dreamy!!

wild heart collective | January 21st, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Thanks Kathy and Wild Heart! Making me smile.

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 12:45 pm

These are so pretty!! The lettering is gorgeous too. I going to have to add this to my HUGE craft to do list! ♥
Hannah recently posted..The Scottsboro Boys

Hannah | January 21st, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Thanks Hannah. Isn’t the lettering great? Erica did such an amazing job!

Brittni | January 21st, 2015 at 5:00 pm

These are so gorgeous! I love all of the different shades of blue. So pretty! What a great idea x
Kate ~ Beak Up Crafts recently posted..How to Take Great Photos of your Products

Kate ~ Beak Up Crafts | January 21st, 2015 at 7:19 pm

This is gorgeous!! What a great idea and really adaptable for any occassion!

Can’t wait to try this one out!

Gemma
Gemma recently posted..To Do

Gemma | January 22nd, 2015 at 10:42 am

Thanks so much Kate and Gemma.

Brittni | January 22nd, 2015 at 11:30 am

BEAUTIFUL! Love your handwritting.

Yoanna
xoxo
yoanna recently posted..Cuisiner comme Cyril Lignac

yoanna | January 22nd, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Erica from Yes Ma’am did the handwriting, Yoanna. :) So I can’t take credit for that. But agree that she did an awesome job.

Brittni | January 22nd, 2015 at 1:00 pm

These are absolutely adorable! Will definitely be making some!
Charlotte Sophia Roberts recently posted..The Best Smoothie Ever!

Charlotte Sophia Roberts | January 22nd, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Thanks Charlotte!

Brittni | January 22nd, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I love these!! The colors are beautiful! I have a mess of blank folded cards. I’m totally gonna try this. Thanks Brittni!

Jodi | January 23rd, 2015 at 10:30 am

[…] a break from the techie life and write your loved ones a handwritten note. Paper & Stitch does it again with this gorgeous and simple DIY to make your next love letter a piece of […]

Friday Faves - Always Me Blog | January 23rd, 2015 at 12:07 pm

[…] is National Handwriting Day! I had an awesome opportunity to photograph a fun DIY Dip Dyed Watercolor Stationery project for Brittni Mehloff of Paper & Stitch.  Erica Loesing of Yes Ma’am Paper + Goods did all […]

It’s National Handwriting Day! » Kimberly Murray Photography | January 23rd, 2015 at 12:50 pm

[…] Practice your hand lettering with this DIY Dip Dyed goodness […]

Link Love #2 - Maritza LisaMaritza Lisa | January 23rd, 2015 at 1:53 pm

i just adore these! and the better hand lettering suggestions are great, it makes me want to practice practice practice! quick question – where are those clips from??
brittanyMakes recently posted..A Space to Stay Creative

brittanyMakes | January 23rd, 2015 at 2:02 pm

Beautiful craft! I’m definitely going to have to try this out today!

Jenni | January 23rd, 2015 at 4:28 pm

your tips! I love them, it took me so long to realize I should just stick to my own handwriting. But I needa find myself that pen! :)
carolyn recently posted..Virtual Trip to Seattle Day 3

carolyn | January 23rd, 2015 at 5:55 pm

[…] Watercolor Stationary by Paper &  Stitch […]

Let's DIY! - DIY Mama | January 23rd, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Can’t wait to try this one out, those turned out gorgeous! And right in time to make and mail to loved ones for Valentines Day! Thanks for the fabulous tutorial.
Cecily recently posted..FAST + FABULOUS FRIDAY NO. 8

Cecily | January 24th, 2015 at 1:53 am

Love these! So simple, yet so eye-catching.

I like calligraphy and still need to practice on keeping a steady hand!! (slightly distorted and uneven)

Thanks for sharing

Emma Jayne x
Emma Jayne recently posted..Fashion finds on Pinterest

Emma Jayne | January 24th, 2015 at 9:50 am

What an awesome and beautiful idea!
Sandra recently posted..Bewertung: Fujifilm Instax Share SP-1

Sandra | January 24th, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Thanks everyone for all of the kind words. :)

Brittni | January 24th, 2015 at 5:00 pm

[…] such pretty handmade watercolor stationery, recreate with Paper & […]

Centsational Girl » Blog Archive BOTB 1.25.15 - Centsational Girl | January 25th, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Beautiful project. I have to confess I was a bit distracted (in a good way) by the pitcher you used for water. Where can I find one?? Thanks!

Chris | January 25th, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Thanks Chris. The pitcher is from Crate and Barrel.

Brittni | January 25th, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Oh my gosh… this is perfect! So much talent here… I’m going to see how I can do making my own!
Colleen Pastoor recently posted..DIY Constellation Painting and Copper Frame

Colleen Pastoor | January 26th, 2015 at 6:07 am

[…] Whether it’s just a hello or a thank you, there are so many ways you can create a customized stationery experience with Paper and Stitch: Oh My, Dip Dye! Watercolor Stationery DIY. […]

Pentel Blog » Watercolor Stationery DIY | January 27th, 2015 at 6:10 pm

[…] Make your letters and notes pastel and personalized with this dip-dyed watercolor stationery. […]

Favorite DIYs of January 2015 « M&J Blog | January 29th, 2015 at 1:37 pm

[…] As you’ll see in the video, I painted the backgrounds and teamed up with Erica Loesing again to take the lettering portion to the next level (get Erica’s tips for better hand lettering here). […]

Poster Child: How to Make Large Scale (Hand Lettered) Artwork in Under an Hour | Paper and Stitch | March 31st, 2015 at 8:06 am

[…] they’re SO easy, you can make them in less than five minutes. The process is similar to the dip dyed stationery sets I made a couple of months ago, only easier. Want to make your […]

5 Minute DIY to Try: Easy Dip Dyed Gift Tags | Paper and Stitch | April 9th, 2015 at 8:03 am

Did you use special watercolor stationary? The white stationary I have on hand is not picking up the color and I’ve tried different concentrations of watercolor to dip it in. TIA.

Sara | July 10th, 2015 at 9:07 am

Hi Sara. The did not use watercolor stationery. I just regular stationery from Paper Source, like these http://www.papersource.com/color/A6-Folded-Cards/2505.030/302.html in white. With this particular watercolor technique, it takes more paint than you might think. But its hard for me to know exactly what direction to steer you in with the concentration without seeing it, unfortunately. If watercolors aren’t working for you, you can also create a wash that will work with acrylic paint and water. I’ve done this before ad well, with the same type of paper I linked to above and it also worked really well. Hope that helps.

Brittni | July 10th, 2015 at 9:19 am

[…] DIY dip dyed watercolor stationery 2. Extreme milkshake recipe from Alana Bread OMG! I'm making one immediately. 3. A very neon […]

8 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and StitchPaper and Stitch | November 13th, 2015 at 8:08 am