How to Make DIY Lip Balm with Just Two Ingredients

Make your own DIY lip balm with just 2 ingredients. Click through to find out what you'll need to make your own.

Yesterday, I shared a whole lot of DIYs for Mother’s Day, but I couldn’t resist popping in with one last quick and easy idea before Sunday hits. This one will only require 2 ingredients to make, so you know it’s totally budget-friendly…

Make your own lip glosses for Mom (and yourself, let’s be real) with this simple tutorial. We’ll be using Kool-Aid for the flavoring and color, so you know these glosses are going to taste delicious on your lips. Yum!

Here’s what you need to make your own lip gloss pots in about 10 minutes…

Easy Beauty DIY // Make your own DIY lip balm with just 2 ingredients.

Ingredients:

Kool-Aid powder packets (I used cherry, lemonade, and tropical punch to get the colors you see in the photos)

Petroleum jelly OR this non-petroleum jelly alternative from Amazon (which works just as well, the finished product is just a little bit softer FYI)

You’ll also need:

small pots with a screw lid (I like these from The Container Store) // small microwave safe bowl // spoon

How to make flavored lip balm with just two ingredients.

How To:

1. Start by adding petroleum jelly to a small microwave safe bowl. Then microwave on high for 30-45 second intervals until melted, stirring in between. You want it to be clear without any clumps. For me, it took five 45 second intervals to get the clumps out completely and looking like what you see in the photo.

How to make flavored lip balm with just two ingredients.

2. Next, add Kool-Aid powder to the melted jelly slowly while stirring, until you reach the desired color. This will also give the lip balm a tasty flavor.

I found that the tropical punch flavor was the closest to a red-pink. Then I added the lemonade flavor to get it lighter for the really loft pink shades you see. The darkest almost purple / mauve color was using cherry and a little bit of tropical punch together.

How to make flavored lip balm with just two ingredients.

3. Once the Kool-Aid is completely mixed with the melted jelly, scoop it into screw top pots and let them return to a solid state overnight. It doesn’t actually take that long, that’s just how long I ended up waiting. They should be pretty solid after an hour or two, if you’re in a hurry.

Now, they’re ready to be given as gifts or kept for yourself.

Easy Beauty DIY // Make your own DIY lip balm with just 2 ingredients.

Make your own DIY lip balm with just 2 ingredients.

It’s worth mentioning that this lip balm project is not just limited-ingredient, it’s also super budget conscience. Yay!

A $5 (13 oz) jar of petroleum jelly and $1 worth of Kool-Aid packets (they’re 5 for $1 at my grocery store) will make about 30 jars of lip balm. So for $6, you can make yourself, your mom, and a few friends a year supply of this stuff. Pretty crazy.

Beauty DIY // 2 ingredient lip balm

Beauty DIY // 2 ingredient lip balm

Concept, photography, and styling by Brittni Mehlhoff

For even more DIY gift ideas for Mom, visit this post: 21 Budget-Friendly Mothers Day DIYs to Try Before Sunday.

This entry is filed under , , , , , , , , , .

Whoa! I never knew it was that easy! These would be so fun for a little girls birthday party favors too!

Paige
Paige recently posted..DIY Library Tote Bag

Paige | May 6th, 2015 at 9:29 am

Crazy, right? So easy! And this would be perfect for a little girls birthday party too. Good thinking.

Brittni | May 6th, 2015 at 9:30 am

Great tutorial! I’ve been wanting to try DIYing lipbalm, and this recipe is simple enough that I think I can do it!
Stef recently posted..April 2015 Empties

Stef | May 6th, 2015 at 9:45 am

wow they look amazing and yummy! ;P
thanks for the tutorial!

Chacha Natcha | May 6th, 2015 at 10:12 am

Cool idea! I haven’t thought about making a lip gloss by only using kool aid and petroleum jelly. It’s very easy to make and inexpensive. I will definitely try to make these :)

jamie recently posted..Drugstore Makeup Haul May 2015

jamie | May 6th, 2015 at 10:18 am

Wow I hope no one I know reads this article (no offense) because this is definitely what people will be getting for birthdays and holidays this year!! This is so easy even I am not scared off by it, and that is really saying something when I’m in an apartment with three kids, two dogs and two “big kids” (aka my husband and I) and work full time! Thank you for the idea!!
Haley recently posted..Finding the Silver Lining

Haley | May 6th, 2015 at 10:36 am

Wow! Who knew it was that easy! I need to try this! Thank you :) x
Bethany recently posted..New Shoes

Bethany | May 6th, 2015 at 10:49 am

maybe its just me- but I cant get the link to the containers you used to work!

LOVE this idea- totally doing it!

sina | May 6th, 2015 at 11:16 am

What a cool idea! I love this so much. How cool would it be as a party favor or stocking stuffer in the winter? Or in Easter baskets in spring? This is so fun.
Sydney | Modern Granola recently posted..3 Ways to Become a Morning Person

Sydney | Modern Granola | May 6th, 2015 at 11:17 am

These look so easy and simple! I can’t wait to try this.

Brittany | May 6th, 2015 at 11:24 am

omg this is so cute!!! such a cool idea :)

Anna | May 6th, 2015 at 1:51 pm

How cool is that!

ujjaini recently posted..How To Wear Green

ujjaini | May 6th, 2015 at 2:46 pm

LOVE this! Thanks so much for sharing. Can’t wait to try this. xo

Ash & Em | May 6th, 2015 at 3:05 pm

This is genius! My next trip to the store just might involve scoping out the Kool-Aid flavors. ha! I can’t wait to check out the Petroleum Jelly alternative too. :)
Krysten recently posted..Ah-Mazing Lemonade Chia Fresca

Krysten | May 6th, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Hi I love this idea. The only problem is that I am in Australia and have no idea what koolaid is. Would you know of the alternative is for over here?

Andrea | May 6th, 2015 at 9:13 pm

this is great, thanks. do you think that waxelene can be used instead?

elizabeth | May 6th, 2015 at 11:02 pm

fun! I knew it’s a great idea for Mother’s Day but I think I’ll be doing this craft with my kiddos – I just wonder what flavor they’ll pick haha!
Laura recently posted..How to quickly add Google Analytics to your WordPress Site

Laura | May 7th, 2015 at 1:00 pm

[…] 4. Two-ingredient lip balm that she’ll go glossy over! […]

mother’s day diy roundup | Fossil Blog | May 8th, 2015 at 5:17 pm

I really like the concept, but am thinking of using coconut oil and vitamin e instead of petroleum jelly…thoughts?

Julie | May 22nd, 2015 at 10:42 pm

I am going to try this recipe going to use coconut oil instead. Only problem with using petroleum jelly for me is it is not all natural. Also by adding the coconut oil it is a carrier oil so mixed with lavender it works. Like any product being natural or filled with other stuff there is always a chance you could have a reaction. It may be cheaper but remember you get what u pay.

Jennifer | April 19th, 2016 at 9:41 am

Hi Jennifer. I’ve actually been meaning to do a natural alternative version of this lip balm for ages, using coconut oil, since this one was so popular. So look out for that in the coming weeks. :)

Brittni | April 19th, 2016 at 10:10 am