A while back I made a two ingredient lip balm with Kool-Aid and petroleum jelly and several of you asked if there was a way to make something similar with natural ingredients instead.
As it turns out, there is a very simple way to make a natural lip balm / gloss while still only using two ingredients. So, I’m sharing the tutorial today.
It’s really, really easy to make and the main ingredient is coconut oil. Here’s how to make your own natural lip balm…
- coconut oil (a small jar cost me $5 at the grocery store)
- natural food-safe lipstick, like Bite
The instructions are pretty similar to the last lip balm I made, with just a few tweaks….
1. Start by adding 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil to a small microwave safe bowl. Then add a small amount of natural lipstick to the bowl. I used a sample size all natural lipstick I got from Sephora.
2. Next, microwave on high for 30 second intervals until melted (should take several intervals to fully melt), stirring in between intervals. You want it to be smooth without any clumps, like the photo below. Photo above is still in process of melting.
3. Next, pour lip balm into screw top pots, let them cool down and harden again (for at least two hours).
I love the idea of creating a lip balm palette too, as a gift. If you want to make your own, you just need a plastic or glass container that has multiple compartments like mine. I bought the container I used a long time ago and cannot for the life of me remember where I got it, BUT it’s a jewelry organizer similar to this one I found on Amazon. Hope that helps.
Photography by Amelia Tatnall
Styling by Brittni Mehlhoff
Think you’ll give this natural lip balm a try? Would love to know your thoughts.