I Can See Your Halo, Halo: A Half Halo Braid Tutorial in 10 Minute or Less

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

The half up, half down hair trend has been coming back recently, with the ever popular hun (half up, half down bun). And I have to admit, it’s been getting me a little nostalgic for the old days…

I used to wear my hair that way ALL the time, back in middle school and part of high school too…Whether it was a messy hun (yes, I did rock that look back in the day) or just a half up, half down pony.

So, today we’re adding a new little twist to the trend and doing a something we’ve dubbed the half halo braid. Is that a thing already? I don’t know, but it probably should be. So easy and looks like you spent a lot more time on your hair than you actually did.

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

Click through for the quick and easy hair tutorial…

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

Instructions:

1. Start with curled or wavy hair. Prep roots throughout with your favorite texturizing product. This is the one Rachel, our hair guru, likes most. Works great and it’s not expensive at all.

2. Next, taking the top half of your hair, split it into two sections and braid each with an inverted braid (as shown in the photos). *Keep a couple of pieces out in the front, to frame your face, if you want a look similar to what you see in the photos. If not, just include those front pieces as part of your braids.

Note: As you’re braiding each side, make sure to leave your crown area out of the braids so that you don’t have a part down the back.

3. Once your braids are finished spread them by tugging at pieces to give it a loose, easy look. Feel free to add more texturizing product if you need more “messiness” from your braids.

4. Wrap each braid around creating a halo look. And secure each with bobby pins, making sure to tuck in and hide the loose ends.

5. Finish by spreading your braids anywhere they might need it and add a spritz of your favorite hairspray. Done! Pretty simple, right?

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

Half halo braid tutorial in 10 minutes

Hair by Rachel Brewer
Modeling by Amelia Tatnall
Photography by Brittni Mehlhoff

What hair trends are you loving right now? Think you’ll give this half halo braid a try?

P.S. For more braid tutorials like this one, visit the braid tutorials page.

This entry is filed under , , , .

How incredible does this hairstyle look?! WOW! I love it!

Monique | WritingMonique | January 12th, 2016 at 11:33 am

Glad you like it, Monique!

Brittni | January 12th, 2016 at 11:35 am

Such a beautiful and so romantic look, that’s exactly what I like! Unfortunately the whole thing gets a bit difficult with layered hair, but I will try nonetheless. Thanks for sharing!
Michelle recently posted..Coconut Coffee Body Scrub

Michelle | January 12th, 2016 at 11:36 am

Hi Michelle! Amelia (the model in the photos) has long layers, so I guess it would depend on how short your layers are. If your layers are super short, the hair texturized would be even more helpful and a few extra hair pins to tuck in any pieces that stick out of the braid. Hope that helps! :)

Brittni | January 12th, 2016 at 11:49 am

Those braids are beautiful, B! It would be a nice break from the daily bun I’ve been sporting since 2012!
Lexy | Proper recently posted..Printed \\ 23 Cool & Colorful Printable Calendars For 2016

Lexy | Proper | January 12th, 2016 at 1:06 pm

Haha. Thanks Lex! Yep, it’s been bun nation over here too, for way too long. Nice to try out some new hair ideas every once in a great.

Brittni | January 12th, 2016 at 2:00 pm

This is such a cute hairstyle! Looks very impressive and intricate, but so simple to recreate. I’m always struggling to find easy braided hairstyles, but I’ll be giving this a go soon! x

Chloe | January 12th, 2016 at 2:31 pm

Glad you like it Chloe. :) Let me know how it goes.

Brittni | January 12th, 2016 at 2:37 pm

Wow, this looks so lovely. Can’t wait to give this a try!xx
Beth May recently posted..Three Quick & Easy Hairstyles

Beth May | January 12th, 2016 at 2:42 pm

This hairstyle is so cute, and I think I could even manage to pull it off!

Paige
Paige recently posted..The Dorito Effect by Mark Schatzker

Paige | January 12th, 2016 at 2:54 pm

So cool. Would love it if you could check out my new post on how to plan happiness in 2016!
Kisses xo | From Aliona With Love

Aliona | January 12th, 2016 at 6:05 pm

This is so cute and simple, love it.

Meg | Meghan Silva’s Blog