It’s been getting increasingly chilly here in ATL and all I want to do is bundle up with some good food under a blanket and watch movies. But I’m resisting the urge to stay in bed this morning in favor of sharing this REALLY delicious winter recipe that will make you feel like you’re curled up under the covers. Even if you’re standing at the kitchen counter in your work clothes. Promise.
So what’s the recipe? Boozy poached pears with drizzled honey and pistachios. For a decadent but also kind of healthy dessert option to warm you up this winter.
Here’s how to make your own boozy poached pears…
- 5 pears (I like bartletts)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 vanilla bean
- 3 cups of water
- 3/4 cup of sweet white wine
- 1/2 cup of pistachios chopped
1. Peel and core the pears then set them aside.
2. In a saucepan add the sugar, honey, vanilla bean, water, and wine. Stir to allow the sugar to dissolve and then add the pears to the pot.
3. Cover the sauce pan and allow the pears to cook on medium heat for about 20 mins. They’re done when you can poke the pears using a knife with ease.
4. Once removed the saucepan, drizzle the pears with a tablespoon of honey (or to taste) and sprinkle with pistachio nuts.
FYI – The pears taste great without the honey and pistachios too, just in case you’re not a fan of one of those ingredients. BUT I highly recommend it…the honey adds an extra hint of sweetness and the pistachios add a little crunch. You can also throw some french vanilla ice cream or homemade whipped cream into the mix (like the one you used for this desert pizza recipe) if you want a little something extra.
Recipe by Anissa Saxton
Styling and photography by Brittni Mehlhoff
Think you’ll give these boozy poached pears a try? What do you think of this flavor combo, with the honey and pistachios?