You’re Such a Hack: A DIY Art Hack (Two Ways) in 5 Minutes Without Even Picking Up a Paint Brush

DIY Art Hack in 5 Minutes

In case you haven’t noticed around here, I’m kind of obsessed with DIY artwork and alternative wall art ideas. Can’t let that studio art degree go to waste, now can I?!

And because I also LOVE quick and easy projects that make a big impact, I’m sharing two DIY ways to create unique artwork in 5 minutes, without even picking up a paint brush.

Curious how I created these framed pieces in just a couple of minutes?

Well….I didn’t create them at all. I just repurposed a couple of things I already had at the studio and popped them into existing frames. No art degree required. 🙂

For the larger Matisse inspired piece, I used a tea towel that Amelia gave me (I think it’s from Leif, but I couldn’t find the exact one on their site). And for the black and white piece, I used a wallpaper scrap from Kelly Wearstler, which I’m super obsessed with. Remember the DIY notebooks I made with Kelly Wearstler wallpaper samples a while back?! Can’t get enough.

The key to each of the two options is to find a really strong pattern or design that you love and you’re in business. Here’s the breakdown for making your own…

Matisse inspired tea towel as DIY art hack

Tea Towel or Fabric Napkin DIY Art Hack #1

Spray your tea towel or napkin (or even an old piece of clothing that has a cool pattern) with a little bit of water and iron it on the proper setting to make sure its nice and crisp. I always iron on the back instead of the front, to make sure not to damage the good side. Set aside.

Remove the backing from your frame (mine is from Ikea) and use the hard backing that typically comes with every frame as a guide to wrap or tape your piece of fabric directly to it. This will give you a hard, sturdy surface to support the fabric, so it doesn’t wrinkle. AND using tape instead of stapling it directly to the hard surface backing of the frame means that you can take it back out of the frame anytime without damaging the piece at all. Boom.

Pop the whole thing back into your frame, tighten up the back, and it’s ready to hang. Or in my case, just hang out all casual like on the ground. Couldn’t be any easier!

Use scraps of wallpaper to create DIY artwork in 5 minutes or less

Wallpaper or Wrapping Paper DIY Art Hack #2

If you’re using wallpaper or even wrapping scraps instead, it’s even easier than the tea towel method. All you need is a frame that is roughly the same size as your paper scrap. You can also cut the wallpaper or wrapping down to size to fit a particular frame.

Remove the backing from your frame and tape it to the hard backing that comes with the frame (sometimes it’s cardboard, sometimes it’s particular board – whatever it is will be fine). Then, put the hard backing back into the frame and close it up.

A DIY Art Hack (Two Ways) in 5 Minutes Without Even Picking Up a Paint Brush

DIY Art Hack (Two Ways)

Think you’ll give one of these two art hack ideas a try? Which one do you like best of the two?

This entry is filed under , , , , .

I LOVE this idea, it’s so easy even I could do it 🙂

Rachael xx.
theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk
Rachael recently posted..Meal Plan Monday

Rachael | March 6th, 2017 at 11:16 am

Haha. Yep, anyone can do it, Rachael. It’s really easy.

Brittni | March 6th, 2017 at 12:00 pm

I love this idea — especially the tea towel. So clever!
Kelly recently posted..Three Reds for Your Next Mani

Kelly | March 6th, 2017 at 12:02 pm

Thanks Kelly.

Brittni | March 6th, 2017 at 12:44 pm

I love the ideas, I definitely will look out for some cool wallpapers!
Michelle recently posted..Inspiration | Guest Post: Essential Outfits You Need this Spring

Michelle | March 6th, 2017 at 2:14 pm

These are great ideas since you can find wonderful designs on so many things. I’ve also framed greeting cards that I particularly like.

Wendy Dewar Hughes | March 6th, 2017 at 2:41 pm

Thanks Michelle and Wendy. And yes to the greeting card idea – I actually have a couple that I wanted to use for this post, but I didn’t have a small enough frame to include ’em.

Brittni | March 7th, 2017 at 1:54 am

This is simply brilliant!
Corina Nika recently posted..TFL 60: Social Media Break – The New Luxury

Corina Nika | March 7th, 2017 at 4:37 am

these are so cool!

emily | March 7th, 2017 at 7:57 am

I think the wall paper is actually by Porter Teleo, who makes custom-made wallpaper for Kelly Wearstler.

Jesse | March 7th, 2017 at 10:05 pm

Hi Jesse. I didn’t realize that the wallpaper was made by Porter Teleo. The website doesn’t mention a designer or artist on that product? Either way though, I linked directly to the wallpaper on the Kelly Wearstler website in the post and I (of course) love the design.

Brittni | March 8th, 2017 at 12:06 am

Hi, I like this idea, i mean when you look at modern art it is about the same thing is it not. It looks great. simplistic.

anna | March 8th, 2017 at 7:16 am

Love these hacks! I’m moving into an apartment this September and this would be such a fun way to decorate!
Trina recently posted..SECOND BLOGIVERSARY!

Trina | March 8th, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Beautiful, beautiful, as always! But I can’t pick a favorite, they look so stellar together. xoxo
Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake recently posted..Make it Friday: Plywood and Pastels

Marlene @ Idle Hands Awake | March 9th, 2017 at 10:32 am

wow! this is such a simple way to get amazing wall art. nice!
alicia recently posted..The Weather is Confused

alicia | March 10th, 2017 at 10:29 am

[…] DIY found here. […]

Main Scoop – HAWTHORNE AND MAIN | March 11th, 2017 at 8:01 am

LOVE this! Sometimes you just have to think outside the box!!

Eden Passante | March 15th, 2017 at 3:19 pm

[…] 1. DIY art hack (two ways) 2. paper quilled flower cake DIY from The House that Lars Built 3. DIY string light from Fabrica de Imaginacion 4. DIY crystal planters from Jojotastic 5. golden squirrel paperweight DIY 6. DIY holographic clock from Studio DIY […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and Stitch | March 17th, 2017 at 8:04 am

[…] yoga mat spray from Ctrl Curate 4. DIY floating flower table display from Sugar & Cloth 5. DIY artwork in five minutes 6. DIY woven wall hanging from Sarah Sherman […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and Stitch | June 5th, 2017 at 1:08 am

[…] love how it turned out! I’m tempted to frame it in the off season like Brittni’s Tea Towel Art Hack. And what good is a new, super cute bandana if you don’t know how to wear […]

DIY Plain Napkin to Hand Painted Bandana and 4 Ways to Style | ctrl + curate | June 8th, 2017 at 7:48 am

[…] bleaching technique for old linens 3. color blocked floating shelves idea from Oh Joy 4. a 5 minute DIY art hack 5. DIY number pillows from Studio DIY 6. how to sew an apron in 10 […]

6 DIYs to Try This Weekend - Paper and Stitch | June 9th, 2017 at 10:50 am