We just arrived in London this morning and I’m excited to explore some new shops and visit old favorites that I discovered last time we were here. I feel so inspired when we’re traveling – the 12 trips in 12 months series has been a huge help for that!
And with this trip literally kicking off right now, I thought it would be fun to share some DIY inspiration that I’ve spotted from my travels (like this framed living wall art idea).
1. I am dying to paint a ceiling some form of pastels. So, if you know of anyone that’s game, send them my way. The powder blue ceiling at the Dwell Hotel (from my trip to Chattanooga) is so, so perfect.
2. Turn a basket into a pendant light with a simple lighting kit (like this one). From my trip to Ben Wheeler, Texas.
Also, how do you feel about plywood walls?! I am IN LOVE with them, but I suspect this look is not for everyone.
4. I feel like these framed plant pockets would be an easy DIY if you used Woolly Pockets (or something similar) and then somehow framed them in and attached moss to the pockets to conceal them? Maybe it would need a base support in the back to secure the frame, but otherwise, I think it’d be pretty straightforward.
5. Use a rope grid to hang clothes, bandanas, bags, etc like this one, from the outtakes of my Jacksonville travel guide.
6. These dipped planters from my Winter Park day trip are easy to recreate! Just dip a planter in a bucket of paint, remove, and wait for it to dry. OR tape off the bottom with painter’s tape and paint it with a brush.
7. I really like the idea of making your own clothing rack with some tied together branches, like this one from NA NIN (spotted for my Richmond travel guide).
8. As soon as I saw that gold light fixture, I knew I had to DIY it. I’ve been planning a tutorial for these since I spotted ’em months ago, but am still looking for a flat backplate that can house a lightbulb. Does anyone know of one?! Once I find a source, I’ll be on it with the DIY, so stay tuned!
9. A circular canvas (again from The Dwell Hotel). Did you know you can buy circular canvases at most art supply stores and on Amazon?! Which makes a super retro painting project like this one VERY easy to replicate at home. Here’s a 20 inch round canvas on Amazon.
10. Or suspend a branch from the ceiling with ‘S’ hooks and some rope. Again, spotted at NA NIN.
11. And last but not least, wrap an inexpensive ottoman or pouf in faux fur, like this one from Ikea, for furry DIY seating similar to what I spotted during my trip to NYC (lower east side).
Have you spotted any DIY inspiration while traveling recently? What do you think of these project ideas?