Using this leather wrapped gift idea as a jumping off point, I made some DIY gifts anyone on your list will appreciate (as long as they like alcohol or cute stuff): leather wrapped message flasks!
- flask (mine are Odeme – they’re on Shopbop)
- leather straps (you can find them on Amazon here and here)
- metal letter stamp set
- stamping hammer
- leather hole punch
- needle and thread
1. Wrap a piece of leather around your flask and make a mark where the two just barely touch. You want the leather to meet in the back (or be close at least) without overlapping.
2. Next, arrange your stamps in the order that they’ll be stamped for your message. Place the first letter straight up and down onto the leather strap and strike the hammer down onto the top of the stamp handle. In case you’re wondering, you can use a regular hammer too, but I think a stamping hammer is easier to manage, personally.
3. Remove that letter and start the process again with the next letter. Continue this until your message, note, or name plate is complete.
4. Then punch two holes on each end of the leather strap with a hole punch, as shown in photo. Wrap the leather strap around the flask. Then, stitch the leather ends together through the holes you just punched, with a needle and thread. Double or triple knot the ends and cut of excess. If you can knot it underneath so it’s not visible, that would be ideal.
And that’s it! From there you can throw them into holiday stockings as DIY stocking stuffers OR wrap them up and give them as holiday gifts to friends, family, and everyone else!
The versions that are stamped with names would be cool placecard alternatives too for holiday dinners or and other get-togethers. What do you think?
What do you think of the finished flasks? Will you give this DIY gift idea a try during the holidays this year? Let me know!
9 comments | Click here to reply
[…] 1. DIY leather stamped flasks […]63 Awesome DIY Gifts for Everyone on Your List + What's your Favorite Gift You've Ever Received?! - Paper and Stitch
I love diy!The pink pineapple
I hadn’t thought of the Alive in Wonderland reference, but you’re totally right!Brittni
It’s very original! I really love it, because it’s so fresh , colourful and it’s like Alice in Wonderland “Drink me”, “Eat me”.Labois Blog
Yay! So happy to hear that Amy. I’ll definitely be sending some of these out to friends this year. So fun!Brittni
These are sooooo cute! I love the colors and the addition of leather. I’m heading over to Shopbop now!Amy | Delineate Your Dwelling
Aw, thanks Courtney and Michelle. 🙂Brittni
They’re so chic, what a cool idea!Michelle
That’s a really good idea!!Courtney