Continuing on with the summer theme that I can’t seem to shut up about lately, I have a summer-inspired nail art project to share today. And it kind of reminds me of pool towels and beach balls – which now that I say it, probably sounds weird for a nail art project, but it’s subtle, modern, and kind of cheerful.
Confession…we actually shot this weeks and weeks ago (same day as this project), but I wanted to save it until we were actually in the summer months. And here we are!
Click through for this summery (but simple) nail art tutorial.
- base coat
- nail polish in three contrasting colors
- top coat
- dotting tool
1. Prep your nails with a base coat. Once dry, add 1-2 coats of nail polish in your favorite color.
2. Once the nail polish is completely dry (it’s very important that you give it enough time to dry), start taping off 1/8 – 1/4 inch thick lines with two pieces of washi tape. As shown in the photo. Change up the area of each nail that the washi tape is attached, to make your nail design more interesting. Then, paint a contrasting color on the exposed part of the nail.
3. Wait for the nail polish to completely dry once again, then add a large polka dot (with a dotting tool) in a third contrasting color to one nail on each hand.
4. Once dry, add a top coat. My favorite is Orly Won’t Chip Topcoat. It dries super fast. And you’re done.
Nails and photography by Rachel Brewer
Styling and art direction Brittni Mehlhoff
Think you’ll give this nail art a try? And what things are you inspired by during the summer months?