Anyone else a Wednesday Addams fan? Because today I’m sharing a Wednesday Addams costume, complete with an upgrade to Wednesday’s signature braids.
Growing up, I loved the Wednesday Addams character on The Addams Family. Anyone else?!
So I updated Wednesday’s look with fishtail braids and an easy outfit to create a Halloween costume that is cute. But more importantly WAY easy to put together, which means it’s a great last minute costume idea too.
Plus, I feel like you can do a Wednesday Addams costume at any age – toddlers and young kids / teenagers / adults. Anyone, at any age, can make this costume work, but it’s not so common that everyone else will be wearing it too!
Wednesday Addams DIY Braids
This DIY Halloween costume involves a collared shift dress, a hair tutorial, and dramatic eye makeup (which you might remember from last week’s post). So, let’s start with the hair tutorial.
Wednesday Addam’s signature hair is two side braids with a middle part. To modernize that look a little bit, we went with a side part and fishtail braids instead.
How to Create Fishtail Pigtails
1. Prep hair by spraying sea salt spray throughout or any texturizing product of our choice.
2. Separate the hair into two sections. We used a side part to keep the look a little more modern, but you can use a center part to stay true to Wednesday.
3. To create the fishtail braid take a side section and split it into two equal sections. Take a small piece of hair from one side and incorporate it into the other.
Alternate that with each side until you get to the bottom and fasten with a hair tie.
4. To finish each braid we added volumizing powder to each one and pulled and spread sections to give it a messy feel.
Wednesday Addams Costume
Once you have the hair down, next up is makeup! We skipped the overly pale look and did a bold eye and nude lip. You can find the full eye tutorial (with and without the eye lashes) right here: dramatic smokey eye for Halloween.
And then the last piece of the puzzle for a Wednesday Addams Costume is the outfit.
To get Wednesday’s look, all you need is a black dress and a white collared shirt that you can wear underneath. OR you can look for a dress that already has the collar built in to save on having to buy separate pieces.
My dress is one that I’ve had for years, but I found a few very similar to it, that would work perfectly…
- Black dresses with white collars on Etsy
- Black dresses with white collars on Amazon
- The Harper Mule from Madewell
Wednesday Addams Halloween Costume (and Fishtail Pigtail Braids)
- Prep hair by spraying sea salt spray throughout or any texturizing product of our choice.
- Separate the hair into two sections. We used a side part to keep the look a little more modern, but you can use a center part to stay true to Wednesday.
- To create the fishtail braid take a side section and split it into two equal sections. Take a small piece of hair from one side and incorporate it into the other.
- Alternate that with each side until you get to the bottom and fasten with a hair tie.
- To finish each braid we added volumizing powder to each one and pulled and spread sections to give it a messy feel.
Hair and makeup Rachel Brewer
Photography Amelia Tatnall
Concept and styling Brittni Mehlhoff
So that’s the Wednesday Addams costume in a nutshell. What do you think? Are you up for tackling this costume for October 31st this year?
13 comments | Click here to reply
[…] Wednesday Addams via Paper & Stitch […]25 Best Last Minute Halloween Costumes – Camille Styles
[…] bron: papernstitchblog + whowhatwear + […]15 last minute Halloween kostuums -
The Addams Family never goes out of style.Stefanie
[…] I loved Wednesday Addams when I was younger, so this costume was another must for me. Complete with a DIY fishtail […]24 Awesome DIY Halloween Costume IdeasPaper and Stitch
ooh I’m so excited for Halloween! Can’t believe it’s just round the corner already! Thanks for the tips xx
Aw, thanks Paige! Glad you like it.Brittni
This costume is perfect! You totally nailed it!
Thanks Kel! You are the costume queen, so I take that as a high compliment. 🙂Brittni
This is the perfect Wednesday Addams costume, B! And still loving that makeup.Kelly @ Studio DIY
Thanks Kirsten. Moody teenage Wednesday…that’s a perfect way of describing it. 🙂Brittni
That is awesome! I think the dark eye makeup works, like a moody teenage Wednesday 🙂Kirsten
I love that one, it’s so simple and yet does the trick. Awesome!Michelle