We all have a pair of shoes in the back of our closet that could use a little TLC right? I know I have more than one pair that have been collecting dust, just waiting for the perfect DIY to come along. And guess what? The perfect shoe DIY has come along…in fact, there are 12 of ’em!
So grab those old shoes and get ready for a makeover. From adding simple embellishments or a coat of textile paint to dyeing leather shoes or even crocheting your own espadrilles (!!!), there are loads of options to pick from. Click through for all 12 DIY was to give your old shoes a makeover.
12 DIY Ways to Give Your Old Shoes a Makeover
1. This pair of platform espadrilles is too good of a DIY to resist. Grab the tutorial on Fabrica de Imaginacion.
2. One of my favorite ways to punch up tired looking leather is by dyeing it! The process is simple and makes your shoes look brand new again. Learn how to dye leather shoes like a pro.
3. I still wear these DIY paint splatter shoes all the time and frequently get compliments on the artsy look. It’s admittedly not for everyone, but personally I love ’em!
4. These raffia pom pom sandals from Honestly WTF are screaming my name this spring and summer.
5. I can hardly get over the fact that these crochet sandals are a DIY! So good! Head over to Fabrica de Imaginacion for the tutorial.
6. Have you ever used an airbrushing gun before?! Because if not, you should totally get one and try out these three DIY shoe makeovers…the airbrushing is a game changer for subtle color changes and so fun to use. Highly recommend!
7. Grab a pencil and a little paint and you can bring new life to an old pair of sneakers in five minutes, thanks to this DIY idea from Dream Green DIY.
8. A little paint for some fringe sandals can really change the look. Head over to Treasures and Travels for the tutorial (and the before pics of this now very colorful pair of shoes).
9. Turn an inexpensive pair of sandals (found ’em at Target) into a custom, fabric-covered flat in about an hour with this tutorial: DIY fabric sandals.
10. Want to skip the paint and dye all together? Grab some embroidery floss and try one of these clever DIY ways to make over shoes with a needle and thread. Pattern options galore!
11. These leopard print oxfords idea from My Poppet so good, you’d hardly know the print is a DIY…using paint markers!
12. Painted abstract shapes on a plain pair of sneakers, like these from Enthralling Gumption, is a super cute, right?
Which shoe makeover is your favorite? And more importantly, do you have a pair of shoes sitting in the back of your closet right now that could use an overhaul?!
3 comments | Click here to reply
OMG!!! I love everything! Everything looks perfect for this summer!Kyra Rodriguez
Hey Grace! One of my fave shoes projects is that dyed leather one. It’s so easy and SUCH a transformation.Brittni
I have never thought to dye leather–but it seems like a no brainer! Love this, thanks for sharing!Grace