It’s not quite Friday yet (boooo), so I wanted to send a little pick-me-up your way in the form of a giant googly eye V-Day heart telegram. You can even sing or dance if your (googly eye) heart desires.
The concept is very similar to the googly eye Christmas tree I made in December (complete with Mariah Carey music video here). And basically consists of sticking googly eyes to random items to make people smile. BUT this time, we made the random thing that it was stuck on. And then turned it into a telegram. Big difference. Haha.
Anyway, it was really fun to make. So, I thought I’d share the process in case you want to make your own and surprise someone you love with an in-person gift / entertaining act. 🙂 Here’s what you’ll need…
- giant googly eyes with sticky backs (mine are from Amazon)
- 48×72 foam core board
- acrylic paint OR house paint
- paint brush OR paint roller
- box cutter or cutting blade
- pen or marker
1. Start by free-handing a large heart on foam core board, taking up as much of the board as possible, so you can get the biggest heart possible. The bigger, the better.
2. Then, cut out the heart shape with a box cutter or sharp blade.
3. Paint the heart on both sides with 2 coats of paint. We used house paint and a roller because it goes on thicker and faster that way, but you can also use acrylic paint and a paint brush. Wait for it to dry completely.
Now, you’re ready to run down the streets acting a fool and cheering people up this V-Day! *You can find a more detailed tutorial for creating the heart shape on a previous post I did here.
Have leftover scrap pieces of foam core board? Cut out letters, paint them, and create V-Day messages like these…
Leave them on your secret admirers car or their front door!
Photography by Rachel Brewer
Craft production by Amelia Tatnall
Styling / concept by Brittni Mehlhoff
Would you be up for sending a googly eye heart telegram for V-Day? Or maybe a message on someone’s car? So curious to know!