It’s not quite Friday yet (boooo), so I wanted to send a little pick-me-up your way in the form of a giant googly eye V-Day heart telegram. You can even sing or dance if your (googly eye) heart desires.
The concept is very similar to the googly eye Christmas tree I made in December (complete with Mariah Carey music video here). And basically consists of sticking googly eyes to random items to make people smile. BUT this time, we made the random thing that it was stuck on. And then turned it into a telegram. Big difference. Haha.
Anyway, it was really fun to make. So, I thought I’d share the process in case you want to make your own and surprise someone you love with an in-person gift / entertaining act. 🙂 Here’s what you’ll need…
- giant googly eyes with sticky backs (mine are from Amazon)
- 48×72 foam core board
- acrylic paint OR house paint
- paint brush OR paint roller
- box cutter or cutting blade
- pen or marker
1. Start by free-handing a large heart on foam core board, taking up as much of the board as possible, so you can get the biggest heart possible. The bigger, the better.
2. Then, cut out the heart shape with a box cutter or sharp blade.
3. Paint the heart on both sides with 2 coats of paint. We used house paint and a roller because it goes on thicker and faster that way, but you can also use acrylic paint and a paint brush. Wait for it to dry completely.
4. Determine where you want the google eyes to go. Then, remove the sticky backs and stick them to the heart. Done!
Now, you’re ready to run down the streets acting a fool and cheering people up this V-Day! *You can find a more detailed tutorial for creating the heart shape on a previous post I did here.
Have leftover scrap pieces of foam core board? Cut out letters, paint them, and create V-Day messages like these…
Leave them on your secret admirers car or their front door!
Photography by Rachel Brewer
Craft production by Amelia Tatnall
Styling / concept by Brittni Mehlhoff
Would you be up for sending a googly eye heart telegram for V-Day? Or maybe a message on someone’s car? So curious to know!
16 comments | Click here to reply
[…] 3. Need to get something for your Valentine? Make this Giant Googly Eye Heart Valentine! […]Harajuku Lovers Milkshake
I will do this with my daughter, she will be thrilledLavinia
Aw, thanks Kelsey.Brittni
How fun is this!! I loved your Christmas tree idea. Also how great is the make out sign?!Kelsey
Haha. Thanks Ash.Brittni
“UR COOL AF” = best valentine’s ever haha! I’m going to mail that to you 😉Ashley | Sugar & Cloth
OMG, I love this! So funny!Jasmijn
Love it, Emily. Would definitely be working that telegram with stockings and heels. 🙂 Thumbs up!Brittni
How fun – and silly, but fun! My mind went to how it could be a romantic googly heart if it were wearing stockings and heels… it’s really a multi purpose heart!Emily
Awesome Trina and Tina. Glad you like them.Brittni
So, so darling and fun! Our Valentine’s will love this! And the foam letter=pure genius! Thanks for sharing!Trina and Tina
🙂 Thanks Arin!Brittni
haha! I legit can’t handle this. at all. The cutest. why are you so creative?! www.heartofchic.comarin
Glad you like it Michelle. 🙂Brittni
Haha, this is so cute and funny, I think googly eyes make literally everything look hilarious!Michelle