12/14/11
54 comments DIY: The Step by Step Guide to Felt Flowers Five Ways by   |   54 comments

This guest post was written by Cathy of Catshy Crafts.

I’ve always loved felt. It’s easy to work with, relatively inexpensive and comes in a rainbow of colors. One of my favorite things to make out of felt are dimensional flowers. You can glue them to a hair clip or headband for a quick and easy hair accessory, use as a gift topper or just give them as is. I know my daughters can get pretty excited over a few hand-made blossoms. Today, I’ll show you how to make the three kinds of flowers (with 2 additional variations for a total of 5) that adorn my yarn-wrapped wreaths. Once you know the basics, you’ll be creating your own bouquets in no time.

Materials:

1. 9 x 12 sheets of felt in colors you love 2. Scissors 3. Embroidery thread and needle 4. Pinking shears (optional) 5. Faux pearl or vintage button (optional) 6. Pins (optional)

Here’s how to make it:

1. Fringed flowers

Step 1: Fold over over a sheet of felt lengthwise about 2.75 inches. With scissors, trim off excess so that you have a strip about 5.5 inches wide. (This will give you a flower about 3.5 inches in diameter. For smaller flowers, make narrower strips.) Note: Usually when I am making felt flowers, I do not whip out the ruler, but I wanted to give you measurements for this tutorial. Once you get the hang of it, you probably won’t need a ruler either.

Step 2: With the strip still folded in half lengthwise, cut your felt on the non-folded side in even intervals about 1/2 away to 3/4 down. (You may want to pin the folded strip before cutting, but I just use my hand to keep the felt folded, sliding it down as I cut.) Be careful not to cut all the way through your felt. The farther you cut will determine how “open” your flower will be. For example, if you cut 3/4 down, you’ll get a more open, floppier flower. If you cut 1/2 way down, your flower will stay tighter in the bud, so to speak. Another tip: You can also change up how wide or narrow you cut your felt strips for a different look.

Step 3: Starting at one end, snugly roll your fringed strip until you get to the other end. From there you can peel back the layers of fringe to poof up your flower. Feel free to give your flower a haircut, trimming fringe that are uneven or too long for your taste.

Step 4: Now it’s time to sew. Thread your embroidery needle with embroidery thread. Starting at the point where you finished rolling your strip in Step 3, push your needle through all the layers of felt. Turn your flower 90 degrees and repeat, again pushing your needle through all the layers. (In other words, the second stitch should be perpendicular to your first stitch.) This should be enough to secure the flower. If not, make a few more stitches. When you’re ready, tie a knot, snip the excess thread.

Step 5 (optional): Add faux pearl or vintage button to the center for a little glam.

2. Loopy flowers

To get the loopy flowers, the same steps apply as above. The only difference is that you will cut on the folded side in Step 2. (see photo for side-by-side comparison).

3. Rosette

These little guys are one of my favorites to make because they are so easy!

Step 1: Cut out a free-form circle of felt about 4 inches in diameter. No need to be a perfect circle, but if you need a little help you can always use a template (i.e. trace around a jar lid onto paper and cut out). As before, the measurements do not matter all that much, there are just here to give you a starting point.

Step 2: Starting at any point on the circle, begin cutting a spiral. I find that it is easier to rotate your felt as you cut (instead of moving your scissors around the felt). Cut all the way around until you reach the middle of the circle and are left with a little center tab.

Step 3: Pick up the end of the spiral on the outside of the circle and roll snugly until you reach the end of the spiral on the inside of the circle. The tab I mentioned in step two will rest nicely on the bottom, serving as a little base for your rosette. Your rosette will end up being about 1 1/2 inches in diameter (compared to the 4 inch circle you started out with).

Step 4: Time to sew! Turn over your flower. Find that little tab again. That’s where you will begin sewing, pushing your needle through the tab and picking up a few layers of felt. Repeat, again using the tab as your starting point. Keep sewing, until all your layers are secure. It usually takes 3 or 4 stitches depending on how big your flower is. If it’s a really big flower, I like to make sure it’s secure by gently pulling on the layers. If any give way, I just tuck them back in and add another stitch or two.

Now that you know the basics, here are a couple variations.

4. Wavy rosette

For this version, you get a fuller flower, with curved, wavy leaves.

Step 1: To start, cut a wavy circular shape instead of circle.

Step 2: Starting at any point, begin cutting a spiral, following the outline of the wavy circle. Again, I find that it is easier to rotate your felt as you cut (instead of moving your scissors around the felt). Cut all the way around until you reach the middle of the circle and are left with that little center tab.

Steps 3 and 4 are the same as the standard rosette.

5. Pinked edge rosette

For this rosette, simply use pinking shears instead of a standard pair of scissors to cut your circle and spiral. When you’re done with that, try a wavy circle with your pinking shears. Or a loopy flower. You get the picture.

So I hope this will get you started on making your own pretty felt flowers!

So which one is your favorite? Fringe, loopy, or rosette?

Share your opinion in the comments below.

Cathy, designer and owner of Catshy Crafts, is a crafter at heart, memory keeper for life, and lover of handmade and DIY.  Through her hand-crafted goods, photography and paper and digital scrapbooking, she loves to celebrate the everyday and the special days of her life. She lives in a 1959 red rambler in the rainy Pacific Northwest with her indie game developer husband, two darling daughters, and calico cat. You can visit Cathy at her blog Catshy.

Like this tutorial? Help spread the word by sharing it on facebook, twitter, and stumbleupon using the handy buttons below.

54 comments to DIY: The Step by Step Guide to Felt Flowers Five Ways Click here to reply

I LOVE THIS! So clever!

Robin Hanning commented on December 14th, 2011 at 11:27 am

Love these tutorials! These flowers would also be great for decorating presents.

tute-bot commented on December 14th, 2011 at 2:26 pm

I totally agree tute-bot. That’s why I thought it was perfect to put this up right before Christmas. I have never wanted to make felt flowers more than I do right now. I am so pleased that Cathy shared this with papernstitch.

papernstitch commented on December 14th, 2011 at 3:05 pm

these are great! the assortment works so well together with your color choices! can’t wait to try this!

erin commented on December 14th, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Thanks Robin, Tute-bot and Erin!

And I hope you do make them Brittni :) (And thanks again for letting me guest-post on the pns blog today! )

-cathy

Cathy Pascual commented on December 14th, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Loopy!

Jeanee commented on December 15th, 2011 at 1:59 am

Oh wow, makes great “ribbons” for presents this Christmas!

Ann Jefferson commented on December 15th, 2011 at 7:09 am

Jeanee – I love the loopy one too!
Ann – great idea!

Cathy Pascual commented on December 16th, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Let me check if I have some fabric at hand. I will definite try some and put them on my little one’s clothes!
Thank you for your sharing!

Lu commented on December 16th, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Another great idea, Lu. I love hearing what everyone would do with their little felt flowers!

Cathy Pascual commented on December 16th, 2011 at 6:09 pm

thank you! i love all of these.. they look so good together!

jonahliza commented on December 17th, 2011 at 1:31 am

[...] just came across this wonderful tutorial on felted flowers on lovely blog I just discovered called Papernstick and just had to share it with you. I have three variations here and if you want to see more, you [...]

Make These Felted Flowers! | Bellissima Kids commented on December 17th, 2011 at 11:40 pm

I love all of these felt flowers and plan to try them in January!
Can you tell me a good source for felt? There is none available in pretty colors where I live.
Thanks…

Sarah commented on December 19th, 2011 at 9:02 am

wavy rosette is my fav!! these flowers look great and your tutorial explained everything, I am excited to give it a try!

nsharin commented on December 19th, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Sarah — Thanks for your comment! I use craft felt from the big box craft stores like Joann or Michaels. But I would also love to experiment with 100% wool felt soon. Hope that helps!

Cathy Pascual commented on December 19th, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Thanks nsharin for the feedback! Wavy rosettes are one of my faves too!

Cathy Pascual commented on December 19th, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Great tutorial! Thanx so much for sharing.

Kristina commented on December 20th, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Thanks Kristina!

BTW, I just posted a few pics showing the felt flower as a gift topper as some of you suggested! You can check it out on my blog. Thanks!

Cathy Pascual commented on December 21st, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Terrific post / tutorial, Cathy!!! I can’t wait to try it!! Do you recommend a brand of felt?

Corinne commented on December 22nd, 2011 at 10:33 am

you rock. your tutiroals are the BEST!!!!

marlene commented on December 28th, 2011 at 12:37 am

Thanks Corrine!
I used craft felt from Joanns or Michaels, but I am experiments with wool felt and wool blend. I ordered a bunch from Etsy. I’ll let you know how I like it!

Marlene — Thanks! I have more on the way!

Cathy Pascual commented on December 28th, 2011 at 2:49 am

I like the loopy one but the rosette is a very close second

Sierra commented on January 3rd, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I love that looped one! So pretty! Have plans in mind to make a statement necklace so will give it a go!

Sarah Adie commented on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:57 am

Sarah Adie commented on January 23rd, 2012 at 11:57 am

Thanks Sierra and Sarah! I’m so glad you are all enjoying the tutorial.

Cathy commented on January 23rd, 2012 at 7:50 pm

How do you attach the flowers to your wreath? I’m having trouble doing that! I loev the looped ones best!

dania commented on January 25th, 2012 at 3:02 pm

freakin’ cool! I love felt for Kids Sewing. They will love this!
Clever!

Barbara Z commented on February 13th, 2012 at 5:57 pm

love your simple and yet comprehensive tutorial… I just love the felt flowers

handicraftpassion commented on February 15th, 2012 at 11:31 pm

thanks for sharing this wonderful tutorial. Love the beautiful flowers you have created

handicraftpassion commented on February 15th, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Dania — Just saw your question — I use a hot glue gun to attach to the wreath. Because the flowers are so large, I want to use a pretty strong adhesive. I haven’t tried Fabritac or Felt Glue but those might work too.

Cathy Pascual commented on February 16th, 2012 at 12:05 am

Thank you for the tutorial! My fav is the wavy rosette.
Crystal Jeffries recently posted..Upholstery Class Day Three

Crystal Jeffries commented on March 1st, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Really great tute with such easy to follow instructions and pictures! The wreath in the opening shot is beautiful… I want a couple for my front entry :)

Jane commented on March 6th, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Ya es primavera! Aunque en Madrid no lo parece… http://t.co/yPXEjR9K

Cuento Cuentas (@CuentoCuentas) commented on March 20th, 2012 at 9:07 am

RT – DIY: The Step by Step Guide to Felt Flowers Five Ways http://t.co/AKQNeBxN

Lynne Knowlton (@lynneknowlton) commented on April 13th, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Felt is the new yarn isnt it!! RT @lynneknowlton: RT – DIY: The Step by Step Guide to Felt Flowers Five Ways http://t.co/LKncOJdP

ThreeWildWomenOttawa (@3wildwomenott) commented on April 13th, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Wonderful tutorial!

Kari - the Sweetest Memory commented on August 21st, 2012 at 1:17 pm

@jeremiahhall http://t.co/2Hxn6l85

Nicholas Block (@nmblock) commented on September 3rd, 2012 at 6:06 pm

All of them are FANTASTIC!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Genny commented on September 7th, 2012 at 2:47 pm

What an awesome tutorial on these flowers. Just sat here and made some- they are wonderful! :)

Thanks for sharing
Jodi recently posted..Crazy Busy Life

Jodi commented on October 11th, 2012 at 4:33 pm

i lloved them all cant wait to try them myself

bette schlup commented on October 31st, 2012 at 5:44 pm

thanks

sara commented on February 10th, 2013 at 6:21 pm

It’s a beautiful wreath and such an easy to follow tutorial. I put it to good use on my own wreath! Thank you so much for sharing!
Melissa recently posted..Craft Therapy and a trip to the Made by Hand Craft Show

Melissa commented on April 22nd, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I just accidental

found your site on Etsy and love your idea and can’t wait to try them…xo

Betty Horne commented on September 1st, 2013 at 3:35 pm

[…] promoting handmade artists through her exhibition site. Plus, I was also lucky enough to write a guest blog post for her […]

My Fave Craft Blogs | Catshy Crafts commented on September 6th, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Love the wavy rosette! Can’t wait to make so on put on,a fleece hat I made!

Anna commented on September 27th, 2013 at 11:27 am

I will try to make the rose sets, my fav. Flower is a rose.

Judi commented on October 6th, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Thanks for your easy tutorials. I gave you a shout out on my blog when I was successful making felt rosettes after finding your post!

Nusra commented on October 11th, 2013 at 6:09 am

Thanks so much!!!!!

akkelly commented on November 16th, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Do you make the yarn wreath too? Love it on that and finished my flowers and want to make the wreath. It’s so cute!

Sara commented on November 21st, 2013 at 11:12 pm

[…] wool and felt wreath. My blog friend Cathy Pascual is a FABULOUS wreath crafter and I followed her felt flower tutorial to create the flowers. Aren’t they pretty? The making of the wreath isn’t hard but a […]

A Tiny Christmas Decor | Savitri Wilder: Crafts Lifestyle Travel commented on November 22nd, 2013 at 8:44 am

I love all these flowers, can’t wait to get me some felt so I can play!

lisa arnett commented on January 10th, 2014 at 1:38 pm

My fav is the wavy rosette, but I also love your loopy one. They’re all so creative and cute. Thanks for sharing.

MimiSis commented on March 23rd, 2014 at 12:26 pm

[…] I have to be honest, it took me a while to get these felt rolled flowers to work for me. So, if you fall into the same pit I did, just stick with it! I don’t show you here how to make them, but there are tons of tutorials for them out there already. Here are a couple sites that helped me: Flamingo Toes & Paper & Stitch. […]

Yarn Wreath with Rolled Felt Flowers - This Silly Girl's Life commented on April 14th, 2014 at 7:02 am

[…] three different colors. Roses, loopy flowers and fringed flowers using this awesome tutorial from Paper & Stitch. I won’t replicate the tutorial but note some of the measurements I used. I chose to do an […]

Ombre Felt Flower Wreath - American Cupcake Life commented on April 16th, 2014 at 6:02 am