DIY Halloween costumes are the best aren’t they? When I was a kid, my mom made most of my costumes and it’s always stuck with me.
Halloween is coming up quick, which means it’s time for a giant DIY Halloween costumes roundup for anyone that’s considering making their own get-up in time for October 31st. There are so many fun ideas out there, but I was somehow able to narrow them down and put together a list of really clever DIY Halloween costumes.
Most of the ideas listed here are DIY Halloween costumes for adults BUT there are some really cute DIY kids costumes too. Didn’t want to leave out the kiddos….since it is kinda their holiday after all. Haha. So here we go, the big list of DIY Halloween costumes for adults and kids to get you ready for the most celebrated dress-up party of the year…
24 Clever DIY Halloween Costumes
1. I loved Wednesday Addams when I was younger, so naturally a Wednesday Addams costume was a must for me. Complete with a DIY fishtail pigtails for an update to Wednesday’s signature style. Anyone else a Wednesday Addams fan?
2. Amelia and I made this DIY bird costume for Curbly this year. The whole thing is made out of cardboard and paper (with a couple pieces of ribbon for good measure)! So if you need a budget-friendly costume option, this one might be a good place to start.
3. Clown costumes are not usually my thing. I’m pretty scared of clown generally. BUT this baby clown costume is too cute to be terrified, don’t you think? Also a great post to check out if you’re looking for infant Halloween costumes – there’s a few more on that same post.
4. A DIY Halloween costume that involves a cactus may sounds a little prickly, but this one is adorable – cactus costume from Studio DIY! Need I say more?
5. If you’re been dreaming of becoming a Pop Tart for Halloween, I’m about to make your dreams come true. Or give you nightmares, either one. It’s a Pop Tart costume. If you have a sheet of cardboard and some paint, you can make this costume!
6. Try this DIY jailbird costume using a striped outfit you probably already have in your closet. From Brit + Co.
7. If you’re an art lover, try this Matisse paper cut outs costume from Lindsey Crafter. Clever right?
8. This llama costume is the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen, from Mer Mag. And it’s made of cardboard (which you’ll see if a fairly popular costume supply in this roundup).
9. Looking for a last-minute costume idea? This baby mouse costume is perfect for kids, babies, and even adults which just a few modifications.
10. The Golden Girls will always have my heart, and it looks like that’s how the girls over at A Beautiful Mess feel too with an awesome group costume.
11. A Jimmy Fallon and The Roots costume from The House That Lars Built! So fun for a group (and would work for kids and adults).
12. Kelly’s costume ideas are SO good. I can’t even handle it. This one is probably my all time fave from her this year: DIY cereal bowl. Tutorial on Studio DIY.
13. Oh, you know…nothing to see here. Just a GIANT cotton candy costume from A Subtle Revelry.
14. A lollipop costume for all the sweet tooth out there, from Oh Happy Day..
15. And this was the last in the series of 3 costumes I made for Curbly. This was a group effort again, with Amelia, and it’s for a DIY Cleopatra costume that utilizes a white dress I already had in my closet, some leather scraps and a few other things.
16. I loved Lisa Frank when I was a kid, so the fact that Kelly from Studio DIY did these throwback Lisa Frank costumes blew my mind (in a good way). See all the 3 Lisa Frank inspired options on Studio DIY. The dog is my favorite.
17. When I saw this Lars and the Real Girl costume from Ashley and Jared of Sugar & Cloth, I think I shouted (out loud) NAILED IT. This one just makes me crack up and I love these two so much (we’re going on vacation with them next week actually, so I must really love them).
18. That Brittany from The House That Lars Built is a clever one! How cute is this DIY crayon costume she made? Another great group option!
19. So good! A DIY Pac Man costume from The Effortless Chic.
20. Jeff loves Star Wars, so this costume from Say Yes might be a good one for us to try one year (if I can ever convince him to dress up – ha).
21. Need another last-minute costume idea? Try this DIY moon costume. It’s a super cute infant costume but can be modified for any age.
22. Love this pretzel costume from Oh Happy Day.
23. How clever is this DIY Sia costume, from Brit + Co. If you’re currently rocking a blonde bob, this one would be a SUPER simple idea to try as a costume this year.
24. And finally, this couple’s costume is one of my absolute faves: The Grand Budapest Hotel from Sugar & Cloth. So cute, right?
For even more DIY costume ideas, check out another roundup I did (with different costumes) right here.