06/03/14
31 comments Travel Here: The US Virgin Islands, St Thomas by   |   31 comments

St Thomas Travel Guide

One week ago, exactly, we arrived back home from our trip to St Thomas. It’s so weird that it’s only been a week though – Jeff and I were talking over the weekend about how it felt like so long ago already. So, before I start to forget all the little details, I thought I would share some photos and a few spots that we really loved, for anyone that may be interested in a Caribbean vacation.

For those that don’t know, the Virgin Islands are split into a British side and a US side. We stayed on the US side, but we also took a day trip over to the British side, which I’ll be talking about in another post later this week (There were just too many photos to pack ‘em all into one post).

Before I even get into the trip though, I think it’s worth mentioning that the weather is seriously unpredictable. As we got closer and closer to the day that we would be flying out for our trip, the weather forecast became a big ol’ bummer. Thunderstorms, rain, and cloudy days the entire time we were going to be there was what was predicted. And actually, we were so nervous about it, we almost cancelled our trip. It was a pretty pricey vacation and we didn’t want to spend all that money to sit in a hotel room. After thinking it over (and over and over), we decided to take a chance though, since we had heard that the weather is a bit unpredictable. And I am SO glad we did. The weather ended up being beautiful pretty much the entire time we were there. It didn’t rain once! So much for an accurate weather forecast, huh? So, definitely keep that in mind if you’re planning a trip. I’m pretty certain that most of the Carribean is like this.

Okay, so onto the trip details… The first beach we checked out was Lindquist Beach, which was only about a ten minute drive from our hotel and one of the top rated beaches in St Thomas as well. It was so amazing! We ended up going there three times in total before our trip ended. There were hardly any people there every time that we went and the water is that turquoise-y color that dreams are made of.

Palms in the Virgin Islands

Lindquist Beach, St Thomas

After a couple of days at the beach (and the pool), we spent the day in Charlotte Amalie. We ate at a little restaurant called Greengos Caribbean Cantina. The chicken tacos are delicious! And then we walked around taking pictures of all the colorful walls. There were a ton of jewelry stores there, if you like that sort of thing, and a few historic sites too.

As a side note, this seems like as good a time as any to say that I would highly recommend renting a car. As long as you feel comfortable driving on the wrong side of the road, definitely do this. It was so nice to have the freedom to go wherever we wanted at a moments notice, and not have to pay for a cab every time. Plus, it made the whole trip feel like more of an adventure.

Pink Walls in Charlotte Amalie

Clare Vivier Matilde Tote

Colorful Buildings in Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas

We stayed at The Ritz-Carlton, which as you can probably guess, was pretty dang fancy. Everyone was so, so nice and the hotel grounds were really pretty. It wasn’t a cool boutique hotel, obviously, but there aren’t a ton of choices in St Thomas. At least not when we were going to be there.

The only negative I would say about The Ritz is that the food selection wasn’t the greatest. We ended up driving to Red Hook for lunch and dinner most of the time. XO Bistro was my favorite place to eat for lunch. It’s kind of a hole in the wall place (their website makes it look much fancier than it is), but their goat cheese salad was so, so good.

A Beach Party in St Thomas

Palms + Pink Wall

The Ritz-Carlton, St Thomas

Floating in the Sea

And finally…the sweets! I don’t know about you, but a vacation that I’m involved in would not be complete without satisfying my sweet tooth.

It was really hot, so we opted for ice cream most of the time. And definitely had our fill. In cone and sandwich form. I don’t discriminate.

Cookies and Cream Cone

Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich

More ice cream, please!

That’s it for part one of our vacation. I’m planning to share the rest of the trip (St John, Jost Van Dyke, and more) later this week. So stay tuned for that. UPDATE: Part 2 of this travel guide is now up. You can read all about St John, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, and more right here.

And if you have any questions about our trip, let me know. I’m happy to answer.

P.S. If you’re curious to see what I packed for our trip, you can take a peek at this post.

31 comments to Travel Here: The US Virgin Islands, St Thomas Click here to reply

The Virgin Islands was one of the destinations I wanted to go for our honeymoon but we ended up hiking at Sequoia National Park. I still want to go but it won’t happen anytime soon, so I’m sight seeing through your posts. Looking forward to part 2.

XOXO JuJu
Juliana recently posted..Picking Strawberries

Juliana commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 8:49 am

Oh! Hiking at Sequoia National Park sounds like a pretty great trip too, Juliana. I’ll be posting part two this Thursday. So definitely check back for that. St John and Jost Van Dyke were amazing.

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 8:50 am

We went to St. Thomas on our honeymoon, and these pics brought back great memories! What a beautiful vacation.
Lyndsay recently posted..Local Love – Sweet Theory

Lyndsay commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 8:53 am

What a great place for a honeymoon, Lyndsay. When we were there, two separate couples got married at the hotel, on the beach. And a third was married at another beach we went to for the day. I’m assuming they all honeymooned there as well? Such a nice place to just relax and do nothing.

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 9:00 am

I vacationed in St. Thomas every year during my childhood with my family (my uncle has a home there!) and I can attest that it’s a special, beautfiul place!
Ali @ Inspiralized recently posted..Spicy Moroccan Chickpeas with Beet Noodles

Ali @ Inspiralized commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 9:05 am

What a great place to vacation during your childhood, Ali. I was surprised by how much I liked it there. I knew it would be a fun trip, but it ended up being one of the best vacations Jeff and I have been on together.

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 9:15 am

Everything about this looks too good to be true! Thanks for all the helpful hints!

XO, K
KOKAY
Kirsten recently posted..Mermaid

Kirsten commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 9:24 am

Right? It was such a great trip, Kirsten. And I’m not easily impressed. :)

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 10:13 am

gorgeous pics! seriously living vicariously through you two. only thing missing is my handsome brother jeff. ;)

amanda toman commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 11:43 am

Thanks Amanda. I know – I wish he would let me take pictures of him. I don’t know anyone who likes having their picture taken less than he does.

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 11:48 am

That looks lovely, I’ve always wanted to visit. Glad the weather didn’t deter you- my husband also gets super obsessed with and stressed by forecasts before we travel, but I just try to ignore it (unless of course there is like a hurricane on the way or something).
alicia recently posted..Featured Influencer – Tell Love & Chocolate

alicia commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Thanks Alicia. Yes – I totally agree with you. Best to try to ignore weather reports…unless it’s a hurricane. That’s pretty serious weather.

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Such lovely photos. I’ve never been to the Virgin Islands! :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

carmen commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 8:28 pm

Thanks Carmen. It was definitely a great place to visit.

Brittni commented on June 3rd, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing!
Anna S. recently posted..Shop Spotlight: EVENS

Anna S. commented on June 4th, 2014 at 12:04 am

Thanks Anna.

Brittni commented on June 4th, 2014 at 12:25 am

The colors in these photos! So gorgeous. I’m so glad the rain stayed away and you had such an awesome time! Can’t wait to see the rest!
Kelly @ Studio DIY recently posted..DIY Donut Sunglasses

Kelly @ Studio DIY commented on June 4th, 2014 at 11:39 am

Thanks Kel. I’m glad the rain stayed away too. I can’t believe how lucky we were with having no rain. Especially considering the original forecast.

Brittni commented on June 4th, 2014 at 7:00 pm

[…] this week, I shared Part 1 in my mini travel guide for the Virgin Islands. And today I’m sharing Part 2, which covers St John, Virgin Gorda, Norman Island, and Jost […]

Travel Here: The Virgin Islands, Part 2 | Paper & Stitch commented on June 5th, 2014 at 8:00 am

Your vacation looks amazing, and your photography even better! I envy you!
xxo
alex recently posted..Urth Caffe

alex commented on June 6th, 2014 at 3:54 pm

Aw, thanks Alex. We definitely had a great time.

Brittni commented on June 6th, 2014 at 4:00 pm

Amazing pictures! I love the color combinations so much.
Abigail Hortegas recently posted..New Template//Photo Highlight

Abigail Hortegas commented on June 6th, 2014 at 4:40 pm

Thanks Abigail.

Brittni commented on June 6th, 2014 at 6:24 pm

[…] fiesta en la playa | confeti […]

La noche de San Juan | na sua lua commented on June 23rd, 2014 at 6:03 am

[…] 2/ 3/ 4/ 5/ 6/ 7/ 8/ 9/ […]

Feeling Tropical | Bracket commented on June 25th, 2014 at 9:26 am

[…] cookies and cream cone on Paper & […]

9 Reasons to Scream for Ice Cream | Paper and Stitch commented on July 1st, 2014 at 8:01 am

[…] palms + that salmon-colored wall from my trip to St […]

The 8 Ways I’m Falling for Summer Right Now | Paper and Stitch commented on July 9th, 2014 at 8:00 am

[…] travel to st. thomas via paper n […]

8 Summer Wedding Inspirations « Utterly Engaged } The 1st Online Wedding & Bridal Magazine. Inspiring Brides with Style. commented on July 16th, 2014 at 11:35 am

[…] are just sitting on my computer. Lightbulb. ‘Hey. I could totally blow up a few photos from our recent trip to USVI as […]

Make Wall Art with your own Photos + A Mini Workspace Update | Paper and Stitch commented on July 24th, 2014 at 8:01 am

HI,

This is a weird question but I really love the photo you took of the palm in front of the pink wall. Is there any way I could purchase a print or get the digital file from you to make my own? Just for personal use, nothing commercial. My twitter is linked in the website field if you would be willing to let me purchase or use the print.
Thanks!
Sarah

Sarah commented on August 14th, 2014 at 7:56 pm

[…] 6. I will have this nail color by the weekend. 7. coolest Disney scrapbook. 8. simply put.  9. green on pink. 10. drawn & type. 11. hang. 12. color. 13. Ode to the Captain. 14. Moonrise Illustrated. 15. […]

Current Pins and Weekend List » lifelovepaper.com commented on August 15th, 2014 at 11:51 am