How to Make Asymmetrical Holiday Wreaths

How to make asymmetrical holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

This weekend that just past, I put together a little holiday wreath workshop, along with Malorie from Petal + Fold, to get into the Christmas spirit before December 25th comes crashing in. 🙂 This month is flying by!

I’ll be sharing all of the workshop photos soon, but today I wanted to share how you can DIY your own wreath at home, in case you’re looking to dress up your fireplace, entryway, etc this year.

And since we’re using fresh flowers, I have a must-have material for keeping fresh flowers alive longer for your wreaths too, and you’ve probably never even heard of it before. Click through for the tutorial.

How to make asymmetrical holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

DIY asymmetrical holiday wreaths

All of our wreaths had fresh flowers and greenery from Flower Muse (they sell fresh flowers and greens straight from flower farms around the world… I use ’em all the time for events and DIY projects) and Malorie (who is incredibly talented with flowers) showed everyone how to make the wreaths themselves.

I made the small little guys, but more on that later. AND the wreath with lots of pepperberries was actually a student wreath – shout out to Ashley for killing it on her wreath design.

So, now that you know who made what, here’s what you’ll need to make your own holiday wreaths at home…

Materials

How to make asymmetrical holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

Instructions

1. Start with greenery. In the example wreaths, there was a variety of greenery used…variegated pittosporum, olive branch, and green bush ivy in the small geometric wreaths // olive branch, pepperberry, and silver dollar eucalyptus in the larger wreaths.

2. Build up the greenery, starting in the outermost edges that you want to cover and working your way in, adding branches all in the same direction. Use 3 inch long pieces of floral wire to secure each branch or stem, by wrapping it around the stem and hoop several times. With each branch or stem you add, cover up the wire from the one before it.

3. Then, when you’ve reached the middle, start fresh on the other side, again at the outermost edge you want to cover and repeat step 2 with that side.

How to make an asymmetrical holiday wreath

4. Once you’ve added all of the greenery you’d like, it’s time for flowers. For the small wreaths, white anemones, white ranunculus, and cream garden roses – patience were used. For the large wreaths, dusty pink garden roses – romantic antike and red ranunculus were used.

For larger blooms with hearty stems, like garden roses, start by trimming off the stem completely and then sticking a corsage stem in through the bottom, as shown in the photo, after you’ve dipped the tip in water for 10 seconds.

For hollow stems, like ranunculus and anemones, you can wither give the corsage stems a whirl OR insert floral wire through the stem (first cut the stem down to just a few inches), then twist around the hoop to secure.

5. Wrap the wire end of the corsage stem around the hoop and attached branches.

6. Continue step 4 and 5 until you’ve reached the desired look. And it’s ready to hang, over a nail on the wall, your front door, etc.

How to make asymmetrical holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

When the flowers eventually wilt (usually within 2-5 days), you can switch them out for new ones or leave your wreath as just greenery for the rest of the season.

DIY holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

How to make asymmetrical holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

How to make asymmetrical holiday wreaths (click through for the tutorial)

Photography Amelia Tatnall Lawrence
Styling Brittni Mehlhoff

Are you making any wreaths for the holidays this year? Any fresh flowers in the mix?

This entry is filed under , , , , , , .

All these are so pretty! I love the triangle shape x

Jessica — NinetyCo
Jessica recently posted..24 DAYS OF X-MAS / Colorful Wrapping

Jessica | December 13th, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Thanks Jessica. 🙂 I like the triangle one too…it’s nice to have a couple of shapes outside of a circle for wreaths this year.

Brittni | December 13th, 2016 at 4:48 pm

I’ve never even thought to do this! These are gorgeous- thanks for the DIY! x
Greta recently posted..Holiday Gifts: 10 under $50

Greta | December 13th, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Wow, they are absolutely beautiful!
Michelle recently posted..Inspiration | DIY Present Guide For Her

Michelle | December 14th, 2016 at 3:17 am

These are just divine!! Such a gorgeous touch of festive beauty : )

Gemma
Gemma recently posted..Wrap It Up // Shop Handmade This Christmas

Gemma | December 14th, 2016 at 6:09 am

Thanks so much Greta, Michelle, and Gemma. 🙂

Brittni | December 14th, 2016 at 10:22 am

These wreaths look AMAZING!! I recently made a festive wreath but yours look so much better 😉 I better keep practicing!

Rachael xx.
theteacozykitchen.blogspot.co.uk
Rachael recently posted..Parsnip and Stilton Soup

Rachael | December 14th, 2016 at 1:30 pm

Aw, thanks Rachael. I’m sure you’re look great too.

Brittni | December 14th, 2016 at 2:33 pm

I l i k e !

Yiza
Yiza recently posted..HALLUCINATIONS OLFACTIVES À BRUXELLES

Yiza | December 19th, 2016 at 3:08 am

These are so so pretty!

Beka Johnson | December 20th, 2016 at 2:59 am

Wow! What beautiful and creative wreaths!

Linda | December 20th, 2016 at 4:57 pm

[…] Not down to use mere shrubbery and citrus fruit for your holiday decor? These minimalistic wreaths call for fresh flowers and herbs like rosemary and pepper for a fragrant and stunning wall decoration. Get the tutorial at Paper & Stitch. […]

6 Natural Ways to Make Your Home Smell Like Christmas - Holidays | A Matter of Style | December 21st, 2016 at 5:39 pm

My friend and I were admiring (and hoping to make) your smaller wreaths – we were wondering where you got the wired shapes?!

Bee | December 21st, 2016 at 11:04 pm

So Beautiful! Can you tell me where you found the triangle and square ‘hoops’?

Amanda | December 23rd, 2016 at 1:09 pm

Hi! These wreaths are the cutest! I’ve never made one before, and would love to try your tutorial. Where can I find the square and triangle shapes you used? Thank you!

Kristine | December 28th, 2016 at 8:39 am

These are beautiful! I’m looking to do something similar in my daughter’s nursery. Where did you buy the square and triangle bases? I have been unsuccessful in my search for them.

Lacie | December 29th, 2016 at 5:53 pm

Hi Bee, Amanda, Kristine, and Lacie. I bought the geometric shape pieces a while back in Austin. More info on this post: http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2016/11/29/prop-shop-7-things-bought-austin/

Brittni | January 1st, 2017 at 12:50 am

Love these and have desperately been trying to find the macrame shapes other than the circle linked in your instructions. Did you order a triangle and square or make them some how from the circle?

Amanda | January 12th, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Hi Amanda. I bought the triangle and square shapes when I was in Austin. More info on this post: http://www.papernstitchblog.com/2016/11/29/prop-shop-7-things-bought-austin/

Brittni | January 12th, 2017 at 4:17 pm

Where did you get the geometric frames? I would love to try this, but I can’t find the square and the triangle.

Thanks!

Sarah | February 9th, 2017 at 9:49 pm

Nevermind! I just saw the other post!

Sorry!

Sarah | February 9th, 2017 at 9:51 pm

If anyone has found square and triangle shapes online somewhere, please share! I don’t live in or around Austin so have no opportunity to check out the store and I didn’t find them for sale on their website.

Amanda | February 9th, 2017 at 10:30 pm

Glad you found the link Sarah.

Amanda – I wish the store I bought them from sold them online. That would be great! 🙁 But I was thinking about this the other day…If you feel comfortable welding, you could pretty easily make your own with brass tubes OR even threading metal wire through brass tubes (kind of like a Himmeli) to form a triangle or square. The tubes I’m referring to are available on Amazon: http://rstyle.me/n/ceuiszmvmw . Hope that helps!

Brittni | February 9th, 2017 at 11:35 pm

[…] Donut Bars are definitely “in”right now and they most certainly will make an appearance at my own wedding. All you need is a chalkboard sign and a couple of cake stands to display this very easy display. These DIY printable sparkler send offs by Ever Mine Weddings are so easy and the great send off favor! This DIY Baby’s Breath Flower Crown is so exceptionally pretty that you cant help but have fun with this and make it for your special day. This is a DIY that we are also doing and it is so simple and easy!! Seriously! We got our wooden pallets from the back of a Costco. Lots of stores have wooden pallets from deliveries and they should be free to just grab but if they do charge it should just be a small amount! Also, these plants can be natural or you could find some flowers at Micheal’s craft store. This one is a super beautiful display that can really make a room stand out. Love this DIY from Paper & Stitch. […]

10 Wedding DIYs I Love – J DOBBS | February 28th, 2017 at 11:11 pm