Do you remember the days when Mother’s Day meant a (relatively ugly) hand painted mug with the words “World’s Best Mom” wrapped around it or a little hand print turned flower card on a piece of colorful construction paper? I do! And as bad as those gifts might have been when we were kids, the sweet sentiment was there – here Mom, I made this for you. And that’s something I’d love to bring back this year…only not so ugly.
So, to step up those handmade gifts, and give Mom something she’ll actually want, I put together a list of 43 DIY Mother’s Day gifts that totally don’t suck! Whether you’re looking for a trendy set of earrings, a new beach tote, or a simple card and DIY bouquet to gift, I’ve got lots of thoughtful DIY ideas that don’t skimp on style. Click through to see them all!
1. Serve up a floral arrangement in these color-glazed stacked vases from Sugar and Cloth.
2. Make her a trendy new top out of an old dress – she’ll be so impressed by your ability to both sew and save! Mom-win, for sure.
3. This DIY bathtub caddy from The Merrythought is the perfect way to give your mom a reason to take a little time for herself, because we all know she deserves it!
4. Is Mom a hat lady? Snag her a cool one and dress it up with fresh flowers, like this DIY flower hat for summer.
5. Who couldn’t use a little stay-at-home spa day every once in a while. Make these DIY rose petal bath salts and place them in a cute jar for the occasion.
6. Holy moly! If you’re mom is chic AF, you’re definitely going to want to make her a pair of the raffia pom pom sandals from Honestly WTF. And make a pair for me too, if you don’t mind.
7. Can’t go wrong with this gorgeous raw stone earring set from Alice and Lois.
8. If your mom can pull of a DIY statement necklace like this one, I definitely want to meet her! And if a hand design is a bit much, you can always change the shape but keep the technique the same.
9. For the plant-loving mom, there’s this pastel set of DIY mini planters for succulents and cacti.
10. Love the idea of making these DIY sewn leather pouches as a Mother’s Day gift, since they’re super functional and also super cute. You can even paint or dye them for a more custom look.
11. For all the long haired moms at there, these fabric DIY scrunches from Hey Wanderer would be a good match.
12. These DIY dip-dyed woven baskets are the perfect Mother’s Day gift, and so easy to make.
13. Give her the gift of Mom Jeans, but the kind that will keep her feeling hip and trendy, like these DIY side-stripe pants.
14. Instead of splurging on an expensive new handbag, why not make her a custom fold-over clutch in her favorite colors or patterns?
15. Or keep things traditional with a simple wrapped bouquet that’ll will (hopefully) make her day.
16. Candles are always on my list for DIY gifts. Handmade soy candles? Even better!
17. If your mom likes to spend her time in the kitchen, why not stitch up some DIY finger-crochet pot holders. No tools and very little time required.
18. For a more understated option, pick up some spring flowers and create colorful mini bouquets.
19. Another spa idea….these aromatherapy shower steamer tablets sound like they’d be amazing! The DIY is over on Hello Glow.
20. Why not give the gift of some sweet treats with fun and affordable gift wrap ideas.
21. Skip the card section at Target and go for a handmade card like this printable Mother’s Day card from Almost Makes Perfect.
22. If your mom is into home decor, Sugar and Cloth has the perfect DIY door handle tassel project.
23. Herbal bath salts for the win, from Hello Glow.
24. Stitch up some DIY fabric cocktail napkins to help up her hostess game.
25. Make her a one-of-a-kind piece of art in under 5 minutes with this easy wall-hanging hack.
26. This IKEA hack jewelry dish is a super easy and affordable gift idea.
27. When one card isn’t nearly enough there’s this Mother’s Day Message Mail DIY idea!
28. Get her summer-ready with ta colorful rainbow tote from The House That Lars Built.
29. Fill up a DIY concrete vase with her favorite blooms.
30. Can she really have too many bags? Check out this budget-friendly DIY crossbody bag.
31. Get creative with a set of DIY ombre stationary.
32. For the organized mom, how about a set of DIY catchall dishes from The House that Lars Built.
33. Go for a DIY copper hair accessory to keep her mom hair looking super trendy.
34. Create some new artwork – no not the finger paint kind – with these super simple DIY art hack.
35. If she’s a shoe lover, this project might be a great gift idea. Give a pair of shoes (new or old) a quick and fun makeover.
36. Help keep Mom’s jewelry collection in order with a wooden jewelry organizer from A Bubbly Life. Go a step further and gift her a nice bracelet to go with it.
37. If your mom is a tea drinker like mine, you’ll love this DIY rattan tea box from Ctrl + Curate.
38. Here’s another fun set of hand painted plates perfect for more casual occasions.
39. The pretty plaster cheeseboards from Sugar and Cloth might catch her eye if she likes to entertain.
40. Make your own hand-stamped jewelry DIY with inside jokes, nicknames, etc.
41. If I could I would give these DIY statement tassels as gifts for every occasion. They can be used as luggage tags, purse accessories, door hangers, etc.
42. These seersucker tea towels from Francois et Moi are a great gift idea too, and pretty easy to make.
43. And last but not least, go for something simple, and make this Mother’s Day cake topper to jazz up her favorite cake.
Which gift ideas from the list are your faves? Are you planning to go the DIY route for Mother’s Day this year?